Bush Wants To End Seniors Food Program - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

In the end, though, the fact is this: The program was there, and now it's not. Worse yet, the reason it's not there isn't to balance the budget, nor to affect the trade deficit, nor to make way for some other good program---instead, this program isn't there because people with the most money in the country are being given yet another tax break. That's the disappointing issue behind this.
I agree. We can argue until the cows come home that it should be a state and not a federal problem, meanwhile THAT is the real issue - it's a disgrace.

It might a "transfer" but as it is stated in the article, most seniors are very reluctant to use food stamps. I know enough seniors to agree that this is true, many are proud and very stubborn. I don't see the problem in leaving this program the way it is.

The bottom line for me is that it is one symptomatic story of the priorities of the Bush administration.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
I'm confused by your question. Are you agreeing that it isn't acceptable?
Not necessarily a comment on this particular program, but on the budget process in general.

Let's look at the specific proposed cut. We have duplicate programs to provide food to seniors. An analysis of the situation becomes peppered with emotionally charged questions like "how can we do this to people - while others get tax cuts?"

Not much analysis. And an improper comparison with an unrelated budget issue.

It seems the primary argument in favor of the program is "elderly people are reluctant to sign up for food stamps". Is this true? To what extent? How much weight should we give such an argument? Can it be cured with education? Can a minor adjustment to the food stamp program make it easier for everyone?

Old 02-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
An analysis of the situation becomes peppered with emotionally charged questions like "how can we do this to people - while others get tax cuts?"

Not much analysis. And an improper comparison with an unrelated budget issue.
Seeing as how the guy in office has never said 'no' to a spending proposal, yet is currently pushing for yet more upperclass tax cuts, it only makes sense to believe that programs are being cut in order to afford the tax cuts. That and the ever-increasing war cost; both pretty crappy reasons to cut useful things, IMO.

Quote:
It seems the primary argument in favor of the program is "elderly people are reluctant to sign up for food stamps". Is this true? To what extent? How much weight should we give such an argument? Can it be cured with education? Can a minor adjustment to the food stamp program make it easier for everyone?
I don't personally know how widespread such reluctance to ask for foodstamps may be. I can certainly see my grandparents being extremely reluctant. I wouldn't foresee my parents asking for them, either.

Nbcrusader, I would definitely agree that the proposals you suggest---education & tweaking the program---would almost certainly help to remedy the problem. The problem is that if you're going to cut a program that acts as sustenance for people, you first set up the programs that will educate seniors & tweak the foodstamp system. Then, once those are in place, you then cut the program you want to cut. That's how you prevent a lengthy gap between when the program is cut and when something else kicks in. It also ensures that you have something to effectively take the place of the program you've cut. Many actions by this Administration, however, don't work like that. Too often, the mentality is "cut now, figure it out later." Look at the Kyoto Treaty for environmental standards. We thought it wasn't strong enough (bullshit, coming from this Administration, IMO), so we didn't sign it. We wanted someone to write a better treaty. The problem is, however, that we set nothing up to instigate the writing of a better treaty. So, what's now happened is that we have nothing at all. We could have had at least something, but there's now nothing at all.

If you're going to cut something useful, set up the safety system first. Don't simply cut and say we're going to think about it later.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:

Nbcrusader, I would definitely agree that the proposals you suggest---education & tweaking the program---would almost certainly help to remedy the problem. The problem is that if you're going to cut a program that acts as sustenance for people, you first set up the programs that will educate seniors & tweak the foodstamp system. Then, once those are in place, you then cut the program you want to cut. That's how you prevent a lengthy gap between when the program is cut and when something else kicks in. It also ensures that you have something to effectively take the place of the program you've cut.
I agree with this. If the meals program is a duplicate of food stamps, then slowly have everyone switch to food stamps by educating and tweaking.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
What does Bush care about anything he cuts? His family is wealthy and has ties with all kinds of organizations so he is guaranteed a safe and comfy life until he takes his last breath, not wanting for anything or going without. People like that have NO idea what it is like to go without, to not have the creature comforts. Their callous decisions to simply cut programs have HUGE effect on millions of people and in some cases the benefit Bush is cutting may mean the different between life or death. What an asshole we have as President. Pathetic.

- Carek1230

I think people would feel different if it was their grandmother who was poor and needed help from the federal government.

What an unchristian thing to do - whatever happened to taking care of the needs of the elderly talked about in the New Testament?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:08 PM
I think Utoo made some very good points and I generally agree with that analysis of the way this administration has handled finances.

But let's be honest now...that desciption of how well off Bush and his family are could be used to describe ANY of our Congresspeople, Dems or Republicans...they've got a nice healthcare package going on if no one's noticed. And in the same way, all presidents cut/consolidate programs and it never looks good particularly to those that already hate him with a passion, as nbcrusader pointed out.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Nbcrusader, I would definitely agree that the proposals you suggest---education & tweaking the program---would almost certainly help to remedy the problem. The problem is that if you're going to cut a program that acts as sustenance for people, you first set up the programs that will educate seniors & tweak the foodstamp system. Then, once those are in place, you then cut the program you want to cut. That's how you prevent a lengthy gap between when the program is cut and when something else kicks in. It also ensures that you have something to effectively take the place of the program you've cut.
You raise good points here. We don't know if this has been done already, the extent of analysis and preparation before the cuts take place, etc.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #23
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila

- Carek1230

I think people would feel different if it was their grandmother who was poor and needed help from the federal government.

What an unchristian thing to do - whatever happened to taking care of the needs of the elderly talked about in the New Testament?

Thanks, Deb.....I don't speak up like this much, but when something really irks me like this mere thought the Shrub has, I gotta stand up and say my piece. This country really doesn't take care of its elderly and it's about time it did. Hate to say it, but I'm sorry it wasn't the Shrub that Cheney took a potshot at!