Bush Versus Kerry Interland Instant Poll - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2004, 09:23 AM   #121
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:34 AM
While it is true the world hates Bush, I do not believe they are suddenly going to change their mind about our policies and suddenly rush to help us if we have a different president. It's not only Bush himself they hate, it's the entire situation, one Kerry admittedly will be continuing.

One more thing, last night on his speech, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as Kerry spoke wistfully of a return to the 90's when 'we (assuming the democrats) drug people out of poverty and increased the standard of living of the middle class'---excuse me, but I was there, I lived it, and I saw and experienced quite the opposite. He's telling a fairy tale in retrospect and I can't believe people cheer this and fall for it because it was not true.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:49 AM   #122
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RocknRollKitty
While it is true the world hates Bush, I do not believe they are suddenly going to change their mind about our policies and suddenly rush to help us if we have a different president. It's not only Bush himself they hate, it's the entire situation, one Kerry admittedly will be continuing.

One more thing, last night on his speech, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as Kerry spoke wistfully of a return to the 90's when 'we (assuming the democrats) drug people out of poverty and increased the standard of living of the middle class'---excuse me, but I was there, I lived it, and I saw and experienced quite the opposite. He's telling a fairy tale in retrospect and I can't believe people cheer this and fall for it because it was not true.
The middle class was far better in the 90's.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:18 AM   #123
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 10:34 AM
RocknRollKitty:

Many people in Europe just hate Bush, why? He seems dumb and seems like little kid "no i wasn't wrong it was just the informations that led me to something wrong"
So he seems like the ugly part of American superpower - like the direct sucessor of Nixon
Old 07-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #124
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Being one and knowing many myself, I beg to differ. I had a lot of financial problems in the 90's, and so did a lot of people. America was hurt as many jobs left the country, were elimated or became lower paying. Credit may have been easy to get, but it was hard to pay for and led some people to their financial doom. Clinton's laws eliminated the standards of the 80's where there was a limit to interest rates and late fees a card could charge. I had some cards go overnight from 9% to 29% interest. House prices skyrocketed (as they continue to do) But most people I know were worse off in the 90's than they were in the 90's.

As for poverty, Clinton's welfare to work programs did not help, they only forced people into jobs that were not paying as much as the welfare. Many had to drive out of state to find work when they were forced to find a job and there were none in the area. I know one tragic story of two women killed while driving home tired one night, and another of a lady who jumped off a bridge due to the stresss. Even the 'job training' jobs mostly paid only barely above minimum wage and not enough to live on. Because of free trade and other factors, more good paying jobs were lost, and people were forced to work 2 or 3 jobs to make up for what one used to do. I saw no one drug out of poverty in the 90s but I saw many drug into it.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:52 AM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RocknRollKitty
Here's a thing I read some months ago about the 1980 elections. Jimmy Carter was the current president and running against Ronald Reagan. A year before the elections, Iran held hostage 66 US citizens. Carter vowed to get them free. He did not succeed before election day 1980.
Reagan won the election. 20 Minutes after his inauguration on 20 January 1981, the hostages were let go. This is not mere coincident.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Iranian_hostage_crisis
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/October_Surprise

So a change in presidency can have a big impact/change in policies. Especially if the new president isn't acting like an obnoxious kid, knowing he's the strongest and thus 'allowed' to snub everyone else when he doesn't immediately get what he wants.

I think it's clear what my choice is, but I'm not an American citizen.

C ya!

Marty
Old 07-30-2004, 12:31 PM   #126
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

I think the Bush Admin has made too many mistakes, burnt too many bridges, and has now driven itself up a dead end it can't get out of, only make worse. Iraq and the War on Terror, needs a new direction, a new leadership and needs much, much greater cooperation from everyone. For that to happen, Bush has to go.
Excellent Post!

Beside the foreign policy of Dubyah, his record on environmental issues, women's issues, and children's issues make it totally impossible for me to ever even contemplate voting for him.

American for Kerry.

PS - I can't believe some people actually get their political views from bumper stickers.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:53 PM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

By the same token we weren't paying nearly as much for prescription drugs. You don't want to know how much more I'm paying now. In 1992 I had a prescription drug that was worth $17 a bottle. It's now $46 a bottle.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:22 PM   #128
Refugee

Local Time: 06:34 PM
American - Bush
Old 07-30-2004, 01:32 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
In 1992 I had a prescription drug that was worth $17 a bottle. It's now $46 a bottle.
*Winces* Ouch. That sucks. You poor thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
the argument that a strong war type president deters terrorism is a false one. Striking out with brute force such as we have, especially at ill-placed targets...also such as we have will only serve to breed more hatred against america and sully the world's image of us even further.
Exactly.

Angela
Old 07-30-2004, 02:14 PM   #130
The Fly

KERRY!

Bono is smart to play both sides of the aisle to get bipartisan support for his cause. But he and the band are really on one side, always have been. Its hard to fathom that people can't see that, or maybe they choose to ignore it so they can live with it and still like U2. Personally, the social conscience of the band has always been an important part of the U2 experience.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnovox
KERRY!

Bono is smart to play both sides of the aisle to get bipartisan support for his cause. But he and the band are really on one side, always have been. Its hard to fathom that people can't see that, or maybe they choose to ignore it so they can live with it and still like U2. Personally, the social conscience of the band has always been an important part of the U2 experience.
So let me understand this post....

If we support Bush we cannot be U2 fans?
Old 07-30-2004, 04:15 PM   #132
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

STING, you do not have a crystal ball, either. If Bush wins I really hope what you've written here comes true. This is the best case scenario, and as we've seen, that doesn't often happen.

Hypothetically, if you did have a crystal ball and saw the “best case scenario” come to fruition with Bush, but not if Kerry was elected. Would you vote for Bush then? You say it doesn’t often happen, but who’s to say it won’t? Why not?

AMERICAN from the great battleground state of MISSOURI proudly voting for BUSH
Old 07-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

By the same token we weren't paying nearly as much for prescription drugs. You don't want to know how much more I'm paying now. In 1992 I had a prescription drug that was worth $17 a bottle. It's now $46 a bottle.
Or health care. I can't even afford that right now, let alone get my prescriptions filled.

Having said that, I'm an American voting for Kerry.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:27 PM   #134
Refugee

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by swizzlestick

Hypothetically, if you did have a crystal ball and saw the “best case scenario” come to fruition with Bush, but not if Kerry was elected.
Over the past couple of years Bush has consistently lowered my belief in the best case scenario happening. I'm sorry, but I can't take the Bush administration's policy on Iraq seriously. These were the same guys who thought we'd be greeted by the Iraqis with open arms and flowers, and therefore did very little to plan for the post-war situation. They're the ones who flew the "Mission Accomplished" banner, failing to realize that the real mission was the one that lay ahead, not the battle with Saddam's military. You're right, Kerry may not do any better. But from where I stand I don't think he could do any worse.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy

Over the past couple of years Bush has consistently lowered my belief in the best case scenario happening. I'm sorry, but I can't take the Bush administration's policy on Iraq seriously. These were the same guys who thought we'd be greeted by the Iraqis with open arms and flowers, and therefore did very little to plan for the post-war situation. They're the ones who flew the "Mission Accomplished" banner, failing to realize that the real mission was the one that lay ahead, not the battle with Saddam's military. You're right, Kerry may not do any better. But from where I stand I don't think he could do any worse.
I agree. To me, the Bush adminstration doesn't see the whole picture and a lot of problems have arisen from that lack of forsight. I haven't noticed any reason to think that it is going to change. Kerry seems to have more of a concrete idea reguarding Iraq.