bush to lead investigation into ... himself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
i'm sorry to those who are sick of the negativity and anger towards the Bush administration, but it's a farcical moment like this, a moment that resembles North Korean politics more than anything else, that makes the rest of us want to pull our hair out.

Bush Says He'll Find Out What Went Wrong
Sep 06 11:49 AM US/Eastern

By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Buffeted by criticism over the federal response to Hurricane Katrina, President Bush said Tuesday he will oversee an investigation into what went wrong and why _ in part to be sure the country could withstand more storms or attack.

Bush also announced he is sending Vice President Dick Cheney to the Gulf Coast region on Thursday to help determine whether the government is doing all that it can.

"Bureaucracy is not going to stand in the way of getting the job done for the people," the president said after a meeting at the White House with his Cabinet on storm recovery efforts.

"What I intend to do is lead an investigation to find out what went right and what went wrong," Bush said. "We still live in an unsettled world. We want to make sure we can respond properly if there is a WMD (weapons of mass destruction) attack or another major storm."

But Bush said now is not the time to point fingers and he did not respond to calls for a commission to investigate the response.

"One of the things people want us to do here is play the blame game," he said. "We got to solve problems. There will be ample time to figure out what went right and what went wrong."

Bush was devoting most of his day to the recovery effort. After the Cabinet meeting, he was gathering with the congressional leaders, representatives of charitable organizations and with Education Secretary Margaret Spellings to talk about assistance for displaced students and closed schools.

McClellan said the president also was increasing what he described as a sizable personal contribution to the Red Cross and also was sending money to the Salvation Army.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., had told reporters Monday that the Homeland Security Committee would convene hearings as Congress returns this week to examine the "weaknesses and strengths" of the federal response and to "apply the lessons learned."

There has been heavy criticism of the government's response to the hurricane, and city and state officials, Republicans and Democrats have assailed the Federal Emergency Management Agency led by Michael Brown. Bush, during an inspection tour of the devastated region last Friday, praised Brown, telling him, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Bush did not respond directly when asked if anyone on his disaster response team should be replaced.

The president said that he and his Cabinet members were focused on planning in several areas of immediate need _ restoring basic services to affected areas, draining the water from New Orleans, removing debris, assessing public health and safety threats and housing for those displaced by the storm. "Most importantly," Bush said, officials are trying to figure out how to get Social Security checks to people now scattered across the country in private homes, churches and other shelters.

"This administration is not going to rest until every life is saved, until every family is reconnected, until the recovery is complete," he said.

Earlier, White House spokesman Scott McClellan rejected suggestions that the poor, and particularly blacks, had been abandoned when New Orleans was evacuated.

"I think most Americans dismiss that and know that there's just no basis for making such suggestions," McClellan said. "We are focused on saving and sustaining lives of all those who have been affected."

Bush returned to the Gulf Coast on Monday, visiting Baton Rouge and Poplarville, Miss., on his third inspection tour, the second by ground.

During a stop at Bethany World Prayer Center, several people ran up to meet Bush and first lady Laura Bush. But many hung back and looked on.

"I need answers," said Mildred Brown, who has been at the center since Tuesday with her husband, mother-in-law and cousin. "I'm not interested in handshaking. I'm not interested in photo ops."

State as well as federal officials are facing public criticism for a slow response to the crisis. Behind the scenes, each suggests the other is to blame. But Bush would not repeat top federal officials' criticism of the early communication from the region.

The tension was evident when the president and the Louisiana governor appeared together in Baton Rouge on Monday.

The governor, Kathleen Blanco, had to cancel a planned trip to Houston to visit evacuees after learning at the last minute that Bush planned a visit to Baton Rouge. She has turned to a Clinton administration official, former Federal Emergency Management Agency chief James Lee Witt, to help run relief efforts.

After addressing relief workers Monday, the president seemed to choke up, nodded at Blanco and kissed her on the cheek. She nodded back and both left the podium.

Blanco later played down reports of differences with Bush. "We'd like to stop the voices out there trying to create a divide," she said. "We're all in this together."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/D8CERLA00.html

praise be unto the Great Leader!

he is Great because he Leads!

he Leads because he is Great!

Presumably, Bush isn't initiating an investigation into himself, but rather FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security.

If not Bush, who should do the investigation? Independent counsel? A grand jury?

If something went wrong with a corporation, the CEO would be responsible for finding out what went wrong, or how it could be improved.

I guess I don't see the connection with Korea.

An "Investigation". Right. Like the investigation that lasted baely a month after Abu Gharib and then was allowed to peter out after the media questions went away when the pics fizzled.

A comission would find out the hard facts. An investigation does not merit the subpenoa of documents. Documents, not phot ops, is what we need.

He's not playing politcs? The purpose of this week is to defuse the public's righteous anger, and deflect attention away from the Feds. Without the magic of TV, this would not possible. The people want hard answers and they want them NOW.

We are about to witness one of the most sickening displays in American politics.

I'm not sure I want to read any more.

NB. the comission will be done by the same group of "independents" who did the Abu Gharib investigation. I think I'm going to be sick.

What I noticed last week was that for one brief shining moment, when the media was released from its multinational corporate blinkers--when the journos were free to go into the street and bring back those hard-hitting images and the talking heads were in their studios and not "embedded" with miltary personnel (like Ted Koppel is suddenly this week)--there were hard questions being asked and issues raised that never are discussed on TV. Then, when the pics go away and the talking heads don't keep on the pressure and continue to ask thpose questions, the public's anger goes away and the pressure on the Feds is gone. This happened after 9/11. This happened after Abu Gharib. In fact, Bush's language after Abu Gharib was remarkabley similar.

We're not hearning any more aobut Micheal Chernoff and his horse shows. Bush prmised an "investigation" into 9/11 but it never happened. Not until 2 yrs later, after the victims families forced the issue to the table. By then, Bush and his cronies had had time to classify and/or destroy the relevant documents and have contrl of who sat on the panel.

If there was a comission now, it would force their hand. If it was put off, the Bushies would have had time to legally cover their asses. There's a LOT of info that needs to be covered up. Like Bush would have to destroy of classify documents that show one-third of the Louisiana National Guard was in Iraq and half the miltary equipment. As Commander in Chief, he has control over who gets sent to Iraq and who stays home. If this were able to be legally proved, if there was a comission next week, this would come up, and this by itself would be criminal grounds for impeachment. A case where his desicions had a direct destruction of American lives.
we know that right now. But without the documents to prove it, there would be no LEGAL way this could be linked with Iraq.

That's what this all about--givng them the time to cover their asses-- and they are right, it IS a "war." But in the long run, the name of Bush will be poison to the party. He may be able to escape this one, but he will be severely weakened.

But even if he escapes in the short term, he is still going to have to deal with the economic aftermarth. And Iraq--I understand Queda has taken over a whole town in Iraw yesterday, and insurgents raided the Interior Minsitry building. if he gets off the hook now, Iraq will catch up with him.

Last edited:
Bush's handling of the situation is what needs to be investigated.

an independent counsel, like the HRC-bomb's calls for an investigation into Katrina akin to that of 9-11, is what is needed here.

determining who is ultimately accountable should not be done by the person who is ultimately accountable (hence, the North Korean analogy), the one who gutted FEMA for Homeland Security, the one who appointed the head of FEMA who then appointed college buddy and former roommate and incompetant manager of Arabian Horses Michael "heckuva job" Brown.

I'm sure it will be "fair" like FOX News is "fair and balanced."

Melon

This is typical thinking for the "buck doesn't stop here" president.

nbcrusader said:

If something went wrong with a corporation, the CEO would be responsible for finding out what went wrong, or how it could be improved.

W's friend Kenny-boy, could not agree with you more.

(That is Kenneth Lay of Ennon, who gutted, raped and plundered more people's lives, than all the looters of New Orleans combined.
No zero tolerance for him, still a free man)

Irvine511 said:
determining who is ultimately accountable should not be done by the person who is ultimately accountable (hence, the North Korean analogy), the one who gutted FEMA for Homeland Security, the one who appointed the head of FEMA who then appointed college buddy and former roommate and incompetant manager of Arabian Horses Michael "heckuva job" Brown.

Is this a matter of agency mismanagement or political wrongdoing?

Unless there is some criminal wrongdoing or impeachable offense, then Bush is the appropriate person to head, or appoint other to conduct an investigation. Otherwise, under the principle that "the person ultimately accountable cannot investigate who is ultimately accountable," governement would need independent counsel on a daily basis.

Seems like we've got another Ready, Fire, Aim situation here.

deep said:

W's friend Kenny-boy, could not agree with you more.

(That is Kenneth Lay of Ennon, who gutted, raped and plundered more people's lives, than all the looters of New Orleans combined.
No zero tolerance for him, still a free man)

Are you suggesting criminal misconduct by GWB?

If were able to be legally proved (like it is right now, Septemember 6 , 2005) that one-third of the Lousiana national Guard was in Iraq And half the military equipment (plnaes, copters, trucks etc) this is a DIRECT link between Iraq and this tragedy and would show the Commnader in Chief made a decision that may have direvctly led to the death of American lives. This would be a criminal act and grounds for impeachment. Those documents need to be classified or destroyed. Remember, even if every one knows it, it isn't an impeachable offense unless the documents are there for a court to read. No legal grounds for conviction.

I think I'm going to be REALLY sick.

nbcrusader said:

Unless there is some criminal wrongdoing or impeachable offense, then Bush is the appropriate person to head, or appoint other to conduct an investigation. Otherwise, under the principle that "the person ultimately accountable cannot investigate who is ultimately accountable," governement would need independent counsel on a daily basis.

Seems like we've got another Ready, Fire, Aim situation here.

perhaps the mismanagement was a result of political wrongdoing, case in point Michael "heckuva job" Brown.

in this situaiton, your second suggestion is most appropriate: Bush should appoint someone to conduct the investigation.

"Bureaucracy is not going to stand in the way of getting the job done for the people,"

. . . anymore.

"We want to make sure we can respond properly if there is a WMD (weapons of mass destruction) attack or another major storm."

So I guess the last four years has been a warm-up?

Also "if" there is another major storm? It's called Hurricane season. That means we usually get at least one every year.

"This administration is not going to rest until every life is saved"

Again, a little late on this part . . .

"I need answers," said Mildred Brown, who has been at the center since Tuesday with her husband, mother-in-law and cousin. "I'm not interested in handshaking. I'm not interested in photo ops."

Now Mildred, you heard the man. Now is not the time to figure out what went right and what went wrong.

Last edited:

Might not be a bad idea to examine the entire current National Emergency Response Plan / Program to make sure it is adequate and if it is not adequate then make improvements to it.

I'm more concerned about the future than I am of the past.

:|

Learn from the past, do not dwell on it.....the future is NOW!

Some changes are needed. I won't spell out the particulars, but the screw-ups in the wake of Hurricane Katrina suggest that our ability to cope with disaster situations are limited and need to be improved.

Its good to know the FEMA head cut his teeth managing a horse society for 11 years.

His quality experience shines through during this disaster on the Gulf Coast.

melon said:
I find this video to be interesting, and I generally have a lot of respect for Tim Russert.

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Imus-Russert-Katrina.wmv

Melon

I like how he addresses the "now is not the time to look back, we need to look forward" issue. He says we can do both and he's right. We need to.

I just have the feeling when people say "now is not the time to point fingers" what they're really saying is that we don't want to address this now, and if we put it off long enough, people won't be as angry later and they'll forget about it. Like Russert says, "brush it under the rug."

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

for instance how about Bush in a SHEER LIE by staing "we didn't know the levees would"....break/not hold up etc {paraphrasing what ever words he actaully used to indicate "unexpected" failure of the levees......}

when Local FEMA officials in the area AND the Army cops of Engineers were begging for several years to get/ or restore funding for shoring up the levees and conducting computer modelling and expert ??on-site testin/exmain the levees for a Hurricane 4 storm..
They'd done H. 3 tests

Oh jkust reaaaaal,real good.....Bush "I investigate myself...."
:ohmy: "OOOOps I lied about the levees!"

:madspit: :madspit: :mad: :madspit:

dazzledbylight said:

for instance how about Bush in a SHEER LIE by staing "we didn't know the levees would"....break/not hold up etc {paraphrasing what ever words he actaully used to indicate "unexpected" failure of the levees......}

when Local FEMA officials in the area AND the Army cops of Engineers were begging for several years to get/ or restore funding for shoring up the levees and conducting computer modelling and expert ??on-site testin/exmain the levees for a Hurricane 4 storm..
They'd done H. 3 tests

Maybe instead of "we didn't know", he could change it to "we weren't paying attention"?

MrBrau1 said:
Its good to know the FEMA head cut his teeth managing a horse society for 11 years.

His quality experience shines through during this disaster on the Gulf Coast.

the Good Ole Boys network; once again, doing America proud.

nepotistic fuckers.

I just had too..

From the Borowitz Report:
http://www.borowitzreport.com/default.asp

EXPERTS CALL BUSH PRESIDENCY WORST DISASTER IN NATION'S HISTORY
Cost of Damage Estimated In The Zillions

Four and a half years after he was first sworn in as president, experts in the field of disaster assessment today called the presidency of George W. Bush the worst disaster in the history of the United States of America.

The sober assessment came from the University of Minnesota's Enormous Disaster Institute, which studies and attempts to quantify colossal disasters, both natural and manmade.

Dr. Lorraine Cresser, who heads the Institute, said that the University of Minnesota experts decided to place the current administration at the top of the nation's list of huge disasters after assessing the damage the White House has caused over the past four and a half years, both at home and abroad.

"After taking a good look at the wreckage the Bush presidency has created, we would estimate the cost of the damage at somewhere in the mid to high zillions," Dr. Cresser said.

Hours after the University of Minnesota released its findings, House Speaker Dennis Hastert said that given the high price tag, rebuilding the Bush presidency "doesn't make sense to me."

Speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill, Rep. Hastert said that based on what he had seen of the Bush presidency lately, "It looks like a lot of it could be bulldozed."

But hours later, the Speaker backtracked somewhat, telling reporters, "Like most Republicans in Congress, I have been drinking very heavily for the past several days."

Elsewhere, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said today that his department would intensify the search for those missing since Hurricane Katrina hit, including Vice President Dick Cheney.

Irvine511 said:

the Good Ole Boys network; once again, doing America proud.

nepotistic fuckers.

Well said :up:

And I liked your post as well sue, especially

sue4u2 wrote:
Elsewhere, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said today that his department would intensify the search for those missing since Hurricane Katrina hit, including Vice President Dick Cheney.

Will they be searching for VP DC as well?

The whole administration has got to go.
In the words of Lennon... Power To The People... Now if we can just take it back

nbcrusader said:

Are you suggesting criminal misconduct by GWB?

Nope, but I tell you how it'll play out. Lay and his lawyers will slow the legal process (as they have already done) until say a month before the next presidential election. Lay will cop a plea bargain of around 10 years, serve a couple of months. And on the 19th of January, President George W Bush's last act as President will be to pardon Kenneth Lay.

I would bet my house on it happening. Everyone knows that Kenny Boy ain't going to do serious time.

popshopper said:

Nope, but I tell you how it'll play out. Lay and his lawyers will slow the legal process (as they have already done) until say a month before the next presidential election. Lay will cop a plea bargain of around 10 years, serve a couple of months. And on the 19th of January, President George W Bush's last act as President will be to pardon Kenneth Lay.

I would bet my house on it happening. Everyone knows that Kenny Boy ain't going to do serious time.

Well, its now been uttered in the MSM for the first time...

Just on CNN (Cafferty):

Why are we talking about the "blame game" - there are thousands of people dead because government officials failed to do what they're supposed to be doing. That's criminal behavior. I mean, that's no game. There are poeple dead in the city of New Orelans and up and down the gulf coast because people charged with seeing to their welfare failed to do that. I don't understand this relecutance to say, Mr. Brown, you failed in your assignment. You're out of here. Go away. Go back to Colorado and go back to working for the Arabian Horse Association that we got you from.

But the photo-ops are so sucessful.

German correspondent shocked about staged Biloxi events

The "tagesschau" is the most popular German news program by far, aired at 8 p.m. The German US correspondents, usually very careful in criticizing the US government, were outraged.

Christina Adelhardt was in Biloxi the whole day. She said she couldn't believe what she saw: Rescue teams, teams for searching bodies and their vehicles showed up, but without being necessary at all - the area was vacated since days.

She said: I'm shocked about the amount of destruction caused by Katrina. But the choreographed events I've seen here today shocked me the same, if not more.

http://www.tagesschau.de/sendungen/0,1196,SPM830_VID4700910_OIT_RESreal120_PLYinternal_NAV,00.html ((in German))

This makes it hard for them to say they weren;t warned.

Hurricane Center Director Tells Paper He Briefed Brown and Chertoff on Danger of Severe Flooding

By E&P Staff

Published: September 04, 2005 6:55 PM ET

NEW YORK Dr. Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center, told the Times-Picayune Sunday afternoon that officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Homeland Security, including FEMA Director Mike Brown and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, listened in on electronic briefings given by his staff in advance of Hurricane Katrina slamming Louisiana and Mississippi--and were advised of the storm’s potential deadly effects.

"Mayfield said the strength of the storm and the potential disaster it could bring were made clear during both the briefings and in formal advisories, which warned of a storm surge capable of overtopping levees in New Orleans and winds strong enough to blow out windows of high-rise buildings," the paper reported. "He said the briefings included information on expected wind speed, storm surge, rainfall and the potential for tornados to accompany the storm as it came ashore.

"We were briefing them way before landfall," Mayfield said. "It’s not like this was a surprise. We had in the advisories that the levee could be topped."

Chertoff told reporters Saturday that government officials had not expected the damaging combination of a powerful hurricane levee breaches that flooded New Orleans.

Brown, Mayfield said, is a dedicated public servant. “The question is why he couldn’t shake loose the resources that were needed,’’ he said.

Brown and Chertoff could not be reached for comment on Sunday afternoon.

In the days before Katrina hit, Mayfield said, his staff also briefed FEMA, which under the Department of Homeland Security, at FEMA’s headquarters in Washington, D.C., its Region 6 office in Dallas and the Region 4 office in Atlanta about the potential effects of the storm. He said all of those briefings were logged in the hurricane center’s records.

Here are just a few questions that Bush needs to be asked by an independent investigator:

* Why did you wait until Thursday to authorize troops to be sent in to New Orleans
* Why did you think some one whose last job as president of a horse association was the right person to head up FEMA
* Were you aware that Michael Brown was asked to leave his position at the horse association?
* Did you think it was appropriate to hold your press conference in New Orleans in front of 50 helicopters preventing them from flying rescue missions for as much as a half a day?
* Did you think it was appropriate for a hurricane aid station to be built for your photo op in Mississippi only to be torn down within a few hours?
* Do you think it was appropriate to fly into Louisiana on Sunday for a private photo op and not inform the Governor of Louisiana that you were coming?
* Do you think it was a good idea to cut the funding for flood control projects along the gulf coast every year of your presidency.

and why was the FEMA budget cut in half last year? That's what I heard, could be wrong of course

there's always plenty of money to stay the course in Iraq though :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom