bush to lead investigation into ... himself? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Some changes are needed. I won't spell out the particulars, but the screw-ups in the wake of Hurricane Katrina suggest that our ability to cope with disaster situations are limited and need to be improved.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:34 AM
I find this video to be interesting, and I generally have a lot of respect for Tim Russert.

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Imu...rt-Katrina.wmv

Melon

Old 09-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Its good to know the FEMA head cut his teeth managing a horse society for 11 years.

His quality experience shines through during this disaster on the Gulf Coast.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I find this video to be interesting, and I generally have a lot of respect for Tim Russert.

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Imu...rt-Katrina.wmv

Melon
I like how he addresses the "now is not the time to look back, we need to look forward" issue. He says we can do both and he's right. We need to.

I just have the feeling when people say "now is not the time to point fingers" what they're really saying is that we don't want to address this now, and if we put it off long enough, people won't be as angry later and they'll forget about it. Like Russert says, "brush it under the rug."
Old 09-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Is this a matter of agency mismanagement or political wrongdoing?

for instance how about Bush in a SHEER LIE by staing "we didn't know the levees would"....break/not hold up etc {paraphrasing what ever words he actaully used to indicate "unexpected" failure of the levees......}

when Local FEMA officials in the area AND the Army cops of Engineers were begging for several years to get/ or restore funding for shoring up the levees and conducting computer modelling and expert ??on-site testin/exmain the levees for a Hurricane 4 storm..
They'd done H. 3 tests

Oh jkust reaaaaal,real good.....Bush "I investigate myself...."
"OOOOps I lied about the levees!"

Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzledbylight

for instance how about Bush in a SHEER LIE by staing "we didn't know the levees would"....break/not hold up etc {paraphrasing what ever words he actaully used to indicate "unexpected" failure of the levees......}

when Local FEMA officials in the area AND the Army cops of Engineers were begging for several years to get/ or restore funding for shoring up the levees and conducting computer modelling and expert ??on-site testin/exmain the levees for a Hurricane 4 storm..
They'd done H. 3 tests

Maybe instead of "we didn't know", he could change it to "we weren't paying attention"?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Its good to know the FEMA head cut his teeth managing a horse society for 11 years.

His quality experience shines through during this disaster on the Gulf Coast.

the Good Ole Boys network; once again, doing America proud.

nepotistic fuckers.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I just had too..

From the Borowitz Report:
http://www.borowitzreport.com/default.asp

EXPERTS CALL BUSH PRESIDENCY WORST DISASTER IN NATION'S HISTORY
Cost of Damage Estimated In The Zillions

Four and a half years after he was first sworn in as president, experts in the field of disaster assessment today called the presidency of George W. Bush the worst disaster in the history of the United States of America.

The sober assessment came from the University of Minnesota's Enormous Disaster Institute, which studies and attempts to quantify colossal disasters, both natural and manmade.

Dr. Lorraine Cresser, who heads the Institute, said that the University of Minnesota experts decided to place the current administration at the top of the nation's list of huge disasters after assessing the damage the White House has caused over the past four and a half years, both at home and abroad.

"After taking a good look at the wreckage the Bush presidency has created, we would estimate the cost of the damage at somewhere in the mid to high zillions," Dr. Cresser said.

Hours after the University of Minnesota released its findings, House Speaker Dennis Hastert said that given the high price tag, rebuilding the Bush presidency "doesn't make sense to me."

Speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill, Rep. Hastert said that based on what he had seen of the Bush presidency lately, "It looks like a lot of it could be bulldozed."

But hours later, the Speaker backtracked somewhat, telling reporters, "Like most Republicans in Congress, I have been drinking very heavily for the past several days."

Elsewhere, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said today that his department would intensify the search for those missing since Hurricane Katrina hit, including Vice President Dick Cheney.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

the Good Ole Boys network; once again, doing America proud.

nepotistic fuckers.
Well said

And I liked your post as well sue, especially

sue4u2 wrote:
Elsewhere, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said today that his department would intensify the search for those missing since Hurricane Katrina hit, including Vice President Dick Cheney.

Will they be searching for VP DC as well?

The whole administration has got to go.
In the words of Lennon... Power To The People... Now if we can just take it back
Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 AM   #25
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Are you suggesting criminal misconduct by GWB?
Nope, but I tell you how it'll play out. Lay and his lawyers will slow the legal process (as they have already done) until say a month before the next presidential election. Lay will cop a plea bargain of around 10 years, serve a couple of months. And on the 19th of January, President George W Bush's last act as President will be to pardon Kenneth Lay.

I would bet my house on it happening. Everyone knows that Kenny Boy ain't going to do serious time.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #26
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by popshopper

Nope, but I tell you how it'll play out. Lay and his lawyers will slow the legal process (as they have already done) until say a month before the next presidential election. Lay will cop a plea bargain of around 10 years, serve a couple of months. And on the 19th of January, President George W Bush's last act as President will be to pardon Kenneth Lay.

I would bet my house on it happening. Everyone knows that Kenny Boy ain't going to do serious time.
Well, its now been uttered in the MSM for the first time...

Just on CNN (Cafferty):

Why are we talking about the "blame game" - there are thousands of people dead because government officials failed to do what they're supposed to be doing. That's criminal behavior. I mean, that's no game. There are poeple dead in the city of New Orelans and up and down the gulf coast because people charged with seeing to their welfare failed to do that. I don't understand this relecutance to say, Mr. Brown, you failed in your assignment. You're out of here. Go away. Go back to Colorado and go back to working for the Arabian Horse Association that we got you from.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:28 AM   #27
New Yorker

But the photo-ops are so sucessful.

German correspondent shocked about staged Biloxi events

The "tagesschau" is the most popular German news program by far, aired at 8 p.m. The German US correspondents, usually very careful in criticizing the US government, were outraged.

Christina Adelhardt was in Biloxi the whole day. She said she couldn't believe what she saw: Rescue teams, teams for searching bodies and their vehicles showed up, but without being necessary at all - the area was vacated since days.

She said: I'm shocked about the amount of destruction caused by Katrina. But the choreographed events I've seen here today shocked me the same, if not more.

http://www.tagesschau.de/sendungen/0...al_NAV,00.html ((in German))

This makes it hard for them to say they weren;t warned.

Hurricane Center Director Tells Paper He Briefed Brown and Chertoff on Danger of Severe Flooding

By E&P Staff

Published: September 04, 2005 6:55 PM ET

NEW YORK Dr. Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center, told the Times-Picayune Sunday afternoon that officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Homeland Security, including FEMA Director Mike Brown and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, listened in on electronic briefings given by his staff in advance of Hurricane Katrina slamming Louisiana and Mississippi--and were advised of the storm’s potential deadly effects.

"Mayfield said the strength of the storm and the potential disaster it could bring were made clear during both the briefings and in formal advisories, which warned of a storm surge capable of overtopping levees in New Orleans and winds strong enough to blow out windows of high-rise buildings," the paper reported. "He said the briefings included information on expected wind speed, storm surge, rainfall and the potential for tornados to accompany the storm as it came ashore.

"We were briefing them way before landfall," Mayfield said. "It’s not like this was a surprise. We had in the advisories that the levee could be topped."

Chertoff told reporters Saturday that government officials had not expected the damaging combination of a powerful hurricane levee breaches that flooded New Orleans.

Brown, Mayfield said, is a dedicated public servant. “The question is why he couldn’t shake loose the resources that were needed,’’ he said.

Brown and Chertoff could not be reached for comment on Sunday afternoon.

In the days before Katrina hit, Mayfield said, his staff also briefed FEMA, which under the Department of Homeland Security, at FEMA’s headquarters in Washington, D.C., its Region 6 office in Dallas and the Region 4 office in Atlanta about the potential effects of the storm. He said all of those briefings were logged in the hurricane center’s records.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:34 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
"We were briefing them way before landfall," Mayfield said. "It’s not like this was a surprise. We had in the advisories that the levee could be topped."

Chertoff told reporters Saturday that government officials had not expected the damaging combination of a powerful hurricane levee breaches that flooded New Orleans.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:36 AM   #29
New Yorker

Here are just a few questions that Bush needs to be asked by an independent investigator:

* Why did you wait until Thursday to authorize troops to be sent in to New Orleans
* Why did you think some one whose last job as president of a horse association was the right person to head up FEMA
* Were you aware that Michael Brown was asked to leave his position at the horse association?
* Did you think it was appropriate to hold your press conference in New Orleans in front of 50 helicopters preventing them from flying rescue missions for as much as a half a day?
* Did you think it was appropriate for a hurricane aid station to be built for your photo op in Mississippi only to be torn down within a few hours?
* Do you think it was appropriate to fly into Louisiana on Sunday for a private photo op and not inform the Governor of Louisiana that you were coming?
* Do you think it was a good idea to cut the funding for flood control projects along the gulf coast every year of your presidency.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

and why was the FEMA budget cut in half last year? That's what I heard, could be wrong of course

there's always plenty of money to stay the course in Iraq though