Bush takes blame for flaws in Katrina response - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
So I will try and rein it in....But I am not going to be silent if I see a post directed at myself or another member... that I think is out of line.
If you see a post you think is in violation of the forum rules or is objectionable for any other reason then you're always welcome to report the post or to send me or any of the other FYM mods a PM or email. Please don't respond in kind though -- two wrongs don't make a right and responding angrily to an inappropriate post won't make the situation any better. I know it can be difficult not to respond when you feel someone has said something unkind or otherwise objectionable to you, but if you just let the mods know about it we'll deal with it as soon as possible.

Thanks,
*Fizz.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:17 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

lol, well it can get a bit frustrating at times but then again I volunteered for this job and 99% of the time I enjoy it so I've nothing to complain about. I just hope you guys think I'm doing an okay job as a mod.
yeah fizzy you´re very good at it

big

Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #63
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:56 PM
I think you are doing a fine job Fizz.

I know NO is serious but here's a little left wing, and maybe no longer so left wing, humor.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/09/10.html#a4892
Old 09-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

If you see a post you think is in violation of the forum rules or is objectionable for any other reason then you're always welcome to report the post or to send me or any of the other FYM mods a PM or email. Please don't respond in kind though -- two wrongs don't make a right and responding angrily to an inappropriate post won't make the situation any better. I know it can be difficult not to respond when you feel someone has said something unkind or otherwise objectionable to you, but if you just let the mods know about it we'll deal with it as soon as possible.

Thanks,
*Fizz.
Please feel free to PM me....since this is clearly directed at me it would be appreciated.

However since this is now public....

I find it horribly sad that Jamilla was VICIOUSLY PERSONALLY attacked....and it took the membership of this forum to speak out about it...repeatedly to get it to stop....

and what may be my 2nd post in four years that crosses the line has drawn so much public attention.....
Old 09-14-2005, 05:22 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:56 PM
Basically, if I were pretty much almost any government official on any level, I'd be tugging at my collar a bit. I do think some people in our federal government did screw up quite a bit with this. But if and when I hear stories of state or local officials botching things up, too, they get my criticism as well. It's amazing how badly this whole thing seemed to have been handled. I mean, I understand that with everything going on, and with as many people as there were in that area to attempt to get out in time and all that sort of thing, yeah, things are going to be rather chaotic and whatnot, and it likely wouldn't go off perfectly, but...I dunno. It's just weird.

As for Bush's apology, I'd just hope he was sincere in giving the apology, and not doing so simply because of pressure from people, be they his friends or his critics.

Also, again, everyone, deep breaths...

And Fizz, I've never had any complaints with you . You're doing a lot better at this job than I would.

Angela
Old 09-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Please feel free to PM me....since this is clearly directed at me it would be appreciated.

However since this is now public....

I find it horribly sad that Jamilla was VICIOUSLY PERSONALLY attacked....and it took the membership of this forum to speak out about it...repeatedly to get it to stop....

and what may be my 2nd post in four years that crosses the line has drawn so much public attention.....
Dread,
The only reason I responded to your comments in public was because they were made in public. Had you preferred to PM me I would happily have responded by PM -- my intention was not to draw public attention to you, but simply to respond to a comment you made in public. I appreciate that the vast majority of the time your posts are intelligent, reasonable and don't resort to insults and I'm sorry that you felt that I tried to draw attention to one of the few exceptions. All I can say is that wasn't my intention and I hope you can accept that.

If there's anything else you would like to discuss about the moderation of FYM you're welcome to PM or email me at any time. And with regard to the other issue you raised, all I will say is that there are plenty of ways mods can deal with a problem without everyone necessarily knowing what action was taken -- the person who made personal attacks on Jamila was dealt with appropriately, even though you may not have been aware of it. As I said, if you have any further concerns you're always welcome to contact me or any other mod about them.

Thanks,
*Fizz.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:06 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
one of the worst things about Katrina -- it makes certain members of the Axis of Evil very, very happy. for this, Bush must be faulted:

Iran's Revolutionary Guards have been following closely the way the United States government has been handling Hurricane Katrina, and drawing strategic conclusions from it.

In remarks that appeared on Ansar-e Hezbollah website on Sunday, a top official of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said the devastating hurricane had exposed America's vulnerabilities.

"The mismanagement and the mishandling of the acute psychological problems brought about by Hurricane Katrina clearly showed that others can, at any given time, create a devastated war-zone in any part of the U.S.", Brigadier General Masoud Jazayeri, the official spokesman of the IRGC, said.

"If the U.S. attacks Iran, each of America’s states will face a crisis the size of Katrina", he said, referring to the massive hurricane which hit the southern coast of the United States. "The smallest mistake by America in this regard will result in every single state in that country turning into a disaster zone".

"How could the White House, which is impotent in the face of a storm and a natural disaster, enter a military conflict with the powerful Islamic Republic of Iran, particularly with the precious experience that we gained in the eight-year war with Iraq?" he said.

Jazayeri said the hurricane havoc showed that "contrary to public perception, the strength of America's leadership is like a balloon, which can easily burst".

The Revolutionary Guards spokesman said the U.S. administration's inability to end the insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan showed the "weakness of America’s defence and state departments, as well as its intelligence and security apparatus".

http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/new...p?storyid=3667
Before anyone accepts the comments of a General of Iran's Revolutionary Guards as being accurate and intelligent, you might want to inquire what happened in Iran's last war and who they were defeated by. In response to natural disasters, ask them how many Iranian citizens were killed the last time they had major earthquakes. Some of the General's comments are borderline Baghdad Bob material.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

mostly fair enough, but Melon's post makes sense as well -- why save the wetlands when people making low 6 figure incomes want a tax break so they can buy another SUV?

but i don't understand: i've been saying that of course there were failures at the local level, but the human catastrophe post-hurricane falls on the shoulders of the federal government. what i'm seeing from "said FYMers" is a near-pathological rush to the defense of Bush in particular when he himself has said that he essentially failed to perform the most basic function of government: protect the citizens.
I can agree that melon's post makes sense; that doesn't mean I agree with everything he said 100%, but he does point to the view that "there are multiple levels at fault in this disaster." And I will add that in the bureaucracy cutting the funding, someone had also revealed in a thread awhile back that the Clinton administration had also cut funding for the NOLA Army COE levee project.

I think there is room for reasonable dissent in the blame for some of the post-hurricane because of what we've seen about the Red Cross being blocked from getting food and supplies to the evacuees, but I don't see any "near-pathological rush" to defend Bush in regards tot he overall Federal response.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-14-2005, 11:55 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

when people making low 6 figure incomes want a tax break so they can buy another SUV?

Oh, and I didn't miss this...you never skip an opportunity to bring my SUV into the picture; but I don't qualify for the tax breaks. Maybe some day.

But you'll get a kick out of this misfortune that happened to me today. The authorities pulled me over as I pulled into my church parking lot for Wendesday evening activities. It was because the left tail light on my SUV was dim. Then he thought he was going to bust me for not having proof of insurance (a big fine/city revenue cash flow), but I found it. He never gave me the 72-hour equipment violation ticket, just told me to get it fixed. He was driving a police SUV. I thought it was tacky for him to pull me over on holy ground in front of my fellow worshippers, but I figure you may get a chuckle out of a conservative Alabaman getting pulled over in his SUV in his church parking lot.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-15-2005, 12:10 AM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:56 PM
i think it was staged

db9
Old 09-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/

Probably?

"Mr. Bush probably needed a humbling experience. He just got one. May he absorb, understand, keep the helpful lessons, ignore the unhelpful ones, and waste no time being mad."
Old 09-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Oh, and I didn't miss this...you never skip an opportunity to bring my SUV into the picture; but I don't qualify for the tax breaks. Maybe some day.

But you'll get a kick out of this misfortune that happened to me today. The authorities pulled me over as I pulled into my church parking lot for Wendesday evening activities. It was because the left tail light on my SUV was dim. Then he thought he was going to bust me for not having proof of insurance (a big fine/city revenue cash flow), but I found it. He never gave me the 72-hour equipment violation ticket, just told me to get it fixed. He was driving a police SUV. I thought it was tacky for him to pull me over on holy ground in front of my fellow worshippers, but I figure you may get a chuckle out of a conservative Alabaman getting pulled over in his SUV in his church parking lot.

that is a cute story, but i wasn't thinking about your SUV. honest!

i suppose my problem is that, to me, SUVs are emblematic of where i see this country going wrong. forgive me, i was an English Major, so i see symbolism everywhere.

though i will say that you are more thoughtful and articulate that the stereotype i have in my head of an SUV-driving conservative Alabaman.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

he's making a speech tonight, I wonder what he'll have to say

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/15/D8CKS5504.html

Rather than speak before a live audience, Bush planned to stand alone and broadcast his message directly into the camera from the evacuated city's historic Jackson Square, according to a White House official speaking on condition of anonymity since the site had not been announced.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 PM
It was a very good speech

perhaps, the best one I have ever heard him give
Old 09-15-2005, 09:35 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
It was a very good speech

perhaps, the best one I have ever heard him give

I agree. Excellent speech! I'll vote for his writers.
I have no doubt however, he meant it, at least some of it.
The results remain to be seen..
Sorry I'm not converting yet.