Bush suspends Min. Wage for Displaced Katrina Workers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
http://sojo.net :up:

Restore Fair Wages for Gulf Coast Workers!

On Sept. 8, President Bush issued an executive order suspending the application of the Davis-Bacon Act in the hurricane ravaged areas of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. The law requires federal contractors to pay workers the average or "prevailing" regional wage for public construction projects. The act's suspension allows contractors to pay as little as $5.15 an hour - the current federal minimum wage - for these projects.

Workers who lost everything in the rising waters cannot be expected to support their families on $5.15 an hour. As these women and men begin to rebuild their lives and their communities, they desperately need a just wage from their government, not a pay cut.

It's time to take action. Send an e-mail urging your member of Congress to co-sponsor legislation to reinstate the Davis-Bacon Act. Please consider changing this message by using your own words and thoughts - personalized letters make your message more effective!

I was wondering if and when anyone would comment on this. Seems very much like taking advantage of a natural disaster to roll back workers rights. Someone will be making a lot of money off the reconstruction, but the question is...who? :eyebrow:

We already discussed this action here

This is NOT a suspension of minimum wage law. It simply eliminates the requirement to pay premium union wages during post-disaster reconstruction.

Thanks for the link, NBC, I'll read through it.

How exactly is saying "you don't have to pay these guys min. wage for a while" not a suspension? :eyebrow:

There is pleantiful federal money and charitable contributions to cover fair wages for rebuilding.

:down:

Originally built by slaves for benefit of plantation owners

Why not rebuilt by slave wages for benefit of no-bid contractor cronies of the administration?

“George Bush doesn’t care about _ _ _ _ _ people.”

Sherry Darling said:

There is pleantiful federal money and charitable contributions to cover fair wages for rebuilding.

No there is not

Administration disparately needs money

for Allbaugh (Ex FEMA head who recommended "helluvajob Woodie) so he could get fat on Gov contracts.

and certain "Faith based Charities" that WILL deliver the vote.

these slave wagers don't vote GOP anyway, silly girl

Well, let this be a reflection of how disgusting the minimum wage is in general. NO ONE can support anyone on $5.15 an hour, even those who've never been effected by a disaster. It sucks for them and it sucks for everyone else.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Well, let this be a reflection of how disgusting the minimum wage is in general. NO ONE can support anyone on $5.15 an hour, even those who've never been effected by a disaster. It sucks for them and it sucks for everyone else.

:up:

well, when i was in Dallas in March , there where effords to raise it with $1.50 in 18 months time, guess who was against it. I can`t realy remember :hmm:

My company took FULL advantage of 9/11
As soon as it happened it was a good reason to let people go, make cuts and save on the budget.
Some of it was justifiable but not all of it.
You could see the evil plain as day.
Big Corporations are FUN!

Se7en said:
:sigh:

the u.s. needs a revitalized labor movement.

:yes: We sure do. Perhaps naively, I am hoping the recent split of many major unions with the AFL-CIO, will help this along. Also, it would be nice if the Dems remember that there are 50 whole states out there. Kerry only competed in like, what, 15? How the hell did he expect to win like that?? :banghead: I've tried to get some discussion going on this, but to little avail.

Anyone who agrees with the min. wage as is or Bush's suspension of it for Katriana workers needs to fully answer two questions.

1. What about job QUALITY, as well as quantity? You can only reduce poverty and inequality by paying attention to both.

2. How can you deny for someone else what you would demand for yourself? (Thanks Bono! ;) :p )

Se7en said:
:sigh:

the u.s. needs a revitalized labor movement.

I think it started with some air traffic controllers. :wink:

There is significant worker protections in place that stem from the labor movements of the early 20th century. Labor movements today are about political power and premium wages for small groups of workers.

nbcrusader said:

Labor movements today are about political power and premium wages for small groups of workers.

note that i am aware of the somewhat corrupt nature and misplaced interests of current unions. hence the call for a revitalized movement. one perhaps...i don't know...led by workers instead of dodgy politicians in armani suits. you really think century old protections are still relevant enough today, considering the enormous advancements of the global economy since 1900? when workers in places like scandinavia net less hours than workers here, and yet are more productive on average, something needs to change. women couldn't vote at the turn of the century either. too bad that changed.

Sherry Darling said:

We sure do. Perhaps naively, I am hoping the recent split of many major unions with the AFL-CIO, will help this along. Also, it would be nice if the Dems remember that there are 50 whole states out there. Kerry only competed in like, what, 15? How the hell did he expect to win like that?? I've tried to get some discussion going on this, but to little avail.

Anyone who agrees with the min. wage as is or Bush's suspension of it for Katriana workers needs to fully answer two questions.

1. What about job QUALITY, as well as quantity? You can only reduce poverty and inequality by paying attention to both.

2. How can you deny for someone else what you would demand for yourself? (Thanks Bono!)

the split in the afl-cio could be progressive but i wouldn't hold my breath unless workers take control of their unions.

#2 is an excellent question that really everyone in the developed world should be asking themselves. in some small way we are all responsible for the messes global capital has created.

Back
Top Bottom