Bush suspends Min. Wage for Displaced Katrina Workers - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 10-01-2005, 11:42 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Se7en

the u.s. needs a revitalized labor movement.
I think it started with some air traffic controllers.

There is significant worker protections in place that stem from the labor movements of the early 20th century. Labor movements today are about political power and premium wages for small groups of workers.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:19 AM
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Labor movements today are about political power and premium wages for small groups of workers.
note that i am aware of the somewhat corrupt nature and misplaced interests of current unions. hence the call for a revitalized movement. one perhaps...i don't know...led by workers instead of dodgy politicians in armani suits. you really think century old protections are still relevant enough today, considering the enormous advancements of the global economy since 1900? when workers in places like scandinavia net less hours than workers here, and yet are more productive on average, something needs to change. women couldn't vote at the turn of the century either. too bad that changed.

Originally posted by Sherry Darling

We sure do. Perhaps naively, I am hoping the recent split of many major unions with the AFL-CIO, will help this along. Also, it would be nice if the Dems remember that there are 50 whole states out there. Kerry only competed in like, what, 15? How the hell did he expect to win like that?? I've tried to get some discussion going on this, but to little avail.

Anyone who agrees with the min. wage as is or Bush's suspension of it for Katriana workers needs to fully answer two questions.

1. What about job QUALITY, as well as quantity? You can only reduce poverty and inequality by paying attention to both.

2. How can you deny for someone else what you would demand for yourself? (Thanks Bono!)
the split in the afl-cio could be progressive but i wouldn't hold my breath unless workers take control of their unions.

#2 is an excellent question that really everyone in the developed world should be asking themselves. in some small way we are all responsible for the messes global capital has created.