Bush Starts "Second Surge" to Double Number of Troops in Iraq - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

No, September 11th was not committed by Iraq, you are exactly right. Al-Qaeda attacked us, and Al-Qaeda, along with having haven in Afghanistan, also operates in Iraq. Remember when President Bush addressed the nation on 9/11? He said we will make no distinction between those who committed these acts and those who harbor them. Iraq harbors and generates terrorists.

Since your knowledge is so vast about this subject, please tell me how many known Al-Queda camps or terrorists were in Iraq prior to our invasion and how much were in Saudi Arabia?

Old 05-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #47
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Let's keep the excessive sarcasm and personalized sniping out of it please, folks...won't help the discussion any.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:

No, September 11th was not committed by Iraq, you are exactly right. Al-Qaeda attacked us, and Al-Qaeda, along with having haven in Afghanistan, also operates in Iraq. Remember when President Bush addressed the nation on 9/11? He said we will make no distinction between those who committed these acts and those who harbor them. Iraq harbors and generates terrorists.

I would ask YOU to remember September 11th. Remember how you felt? I am hoping that you would be wanting our military to do everything it possibly can to make sure that doesnt happen again- not just saying "oh well, we cant win, everyone come home and lets await another attack."
9/11 had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Iraq. They weren't operating in Iraq at the time.

Unfortunately, based on Bush's catastrophic decision to go to war in Iraq, they are operating there now.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

It's amazing how we've had basically 5 years to clear up these facts and some haven't figured it out.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Quote:

US Embassy in Iraq World's Biggest

WASHINGTON , May 21--The new US Embassy in Baghdad will be the world's largest and most expensive foreign mission, though it may not be large enough or secure enough to cope with the chaos in Iraq.

The Bush administration designed the 104-acre (42-hectare) compound--set to open in September in what today is a war zone--to be an ultra-secure enclave.

The $592 million embassy occupies a chunk of prime real estate two-thirds the size of Washington's National Mall, with desk space for about 1,000 people behind high, blast-resistant walls.

Although the US probably will have forces in Iraq for years to come, it is not clear how much of the traditional work of diplomacy can proceed amid the violence and what the future holds for Iraq's government.

"What you have is a situation in which they are building an embassy without really thinking about what its functions are," said Edward Peck, a former top US diplomat in Iraq.

"What kind of embassy is it when everybody lives inside and it's blast-proof, and people are running around with helmets and crouching behind sandbags?"

The compound will have secure apartments for about 615 people.

Morale is at an ebb among the embassy staff, most of whom rarely leave the heavily fortified Green Zone during their one-year tours in Iraq. The barricaded zone houses both the current, makeshift US Embassy and the new compound about a mile (1.61 kilometer) away. A recent string of mortar attacks has meant further restrictions.

On Saturday, three mortar shells or rockets slammed into a Green Zone compound where British Prime Minister Tony Blair was meeting with Iraqi leaders. The attack wounded one person. One round hit the British Embassy compound.

"We do believe that the embassy compound was right-sized at the time that it was presented to the Congress," Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told a Senate panel this month. "There have been some additional issues since that time."

Rice's senior adviser on Iraq, David Satterfield, alleged the embassy is not disproportionately expensive and will serve US interests for years. The second-most expensive embassy is the smaller, $434 million US mission being built in Beijing.

"The Baghdad Embassy will open in September and be fully staffed by the end of the year," Satterfield said. US diplomats will move from a Saddam Hussein-era palace they have occupied since shortly after the 2003 invasion.

The International Crisis Group, a non-governmental organization that seeks to prevent and resolve conflicts, has identified the complex as the world's largest embassy.

The organization notes that the embassy is a sore point with Iraqis who are fed up with war, violence and roadblocks while the US still controls things more than four years after Saddam's ouster.

The embassy has ordered its staff to wear flak jackets and helmets while outdoors or in unprotected buildings. The order was issued one day after a rocket attack killed four Asian contractors in the Green Zone this month.

Who gave the Americans this prime piece of property?

Which embassy is larger?

U. S. Embassy in China, population 1.3 billion? largest trading partner

or Iraq Embassy population 23 million?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

U. S. Embassy in China, population 1.3 billion? largest trading partner

Actually, Canada is still the largest trading partner of the U.S but point taken.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Since your knowledge is so vast about this subject, please tell me how many known Al-Queda camps or terrorists were in Iraq prior to our invasion and how much were in Saudi Arabia?
Are we counting Kurdistan, or doesn't it count because of the No Fly zone?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Are we counting Kurdistan, or doesn't it count because of the No Fly zone?
Just answer in the context of this statment:
Quote:
Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #54
She's the One

Quote:
I dont have to join the military if I dont want to, and I dont want to. Obvioulsy, the kids overseas feel differently, and DO want to fight.

If you want to play that game, why dont you take the next plane to Africa, give every cent you have to the people living there, and invite as many as you can to come back to America and live in your house with you?

You can support a cause in a number of different ways, martha.
But supporting help for Africa doesn't involve people getting killed for someone else's ideals. Your favoring the killing of soldiers; war means death.

Until you're completely willing to do that, your rabid support for the war rings false and hollow, and your self-righteous posturing is suspect.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #55
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

JUST BE HONEST!!
Honestly, I've been against the war since it was just a bee up the president's ass. I'm not a newcomer to the anti-war crowd.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

Say what you really mean... YGrow the fuck up.
If growing the fuck up means supporting a war that I'm unwilling to fight myself, falling for every line the president throws me, no thanks. If giving a shit means supporting policies that create terrorism, rather than preventing it, I'll be what you consider callous.

Killing the parents of children in Iraq, maiming yoiung Iraqi adults, creating a situation that promotes civil war isn't pro-American. It's making sure that terrorists have plenty of reasons to hate us in the future.

Which may actually be what the Right is hoping for: more excuses to fight wars which make them rich.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Honestly, I've been against the war since it was just a bee up the president's ass. I'm not a newcomer to the anti-war crowd.
Is that so?

Well then, would you like to condemn the statements of John Kerry and Ted Kennedy and the others who voted for this war and who believed Saddam was a threat? Would you like to condemn Hillary for voting for this war and then bragging when we caught Saddam?

I guess when President Bush says something, its a lie, but when Dems say the exact same thing, it's something else.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #57
She's the One

Quote:

Is that so?

Well then, would you like to condemn the statements of John Kerry and Ted Kennedy and the others who voted for this war and who believed Saddam was a threat? Would you like to condemn Hillary for voting for this war and then bragging when we caught Saddam?

I guess when President Bush says something, its a lie, but when Dems say the exact same thing, it's something else.
You live on assumptions, don't you? Does it make it easier for you if you don't have to think? If you can just live in your assumptions?

How do you know I'm NOT pissed at those Democrats? If you think the Democrats are one big happy family, you've been misguided.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #58
She's the One

Quote:

YES.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Is that so?

Yes I will condemn them, but at least most of them have admitted that now seeing that the "evidence" presented to them was false, they know they were in the wrong.

You still think we have satellite images.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Did they lie to America? Either everyone lied, or no one lied.