Bush Speech - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2003, 12:50 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
Yes 15B over the next 5 years. 10B in new money. I so hope that this gets passed.
I thought it was $15 Billion over 10 yrs... :s

I was quite impressed with his Africa portion of the speech. He used the right mixture of drama, urgency, concern and compassion. While I don't agree with everything in the speech *ahem*IRAQ*ahem*, I must say it was an excellent delivery.

Old 01-29-2003, 02:13 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:22 PM
oh come on now, its just a ploy.
gw is hoping for a sexy kariokemusical career w Bono later u lameasses.

havnt u figuered it out yet?
thank u-
db3

Old 01-29-2003, 02:15 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 03:22 PM
diamond, i hope you see what i wrote. its only fair that you see me give your a guy a compliment when a compliment is due.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-29-2003, 02:28 AM   #19
New Yorker

As cynical as I am, I give Bush credit for taking the issue seriously.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:30 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

bear
-satire.
db3
Old 01-29-2003, 02:47 AM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 03:22 PM
uh no, im dead serious! i commend him for his african efforts!
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-29-2003, 07:02 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

I know you are all excited about the money, and I was too. My wife and I were cheering quite loudly. However............

When the president passed his education plan last year with the help of Senator Kennedy, new money was promised. The money was promised as part of his "No Child Left Behind Bill".

His office FROZE the money from being released. In my eight years of teaching I am looking at larger classes, teacher layoffs, not enough money for replacement text books, and I am buying more supplies for my class out of my own pocket than ever.

I am not saying it to whine. AS a matter of fact, I have never mentioned this before on this board. I am saying it to emphasize that RHETORIC does not = follow through.

The ANGELS (After sending letters thanking the President) need to be vigillant and continue to apply pressure until the money "REALLY" appears.

Peace
Old 01-29-2003, 07:34 AM   #23
Refugee

The JCS (the generals in the front row) along with the Supreme Court Justices, are forbidden to show politcal bias - therefore, any statements that could be perceived as leaning toward one party or the other, they would not clap or stand up. Those statements that are not partisan, or obviously have the support of both parties, they are free to demonstrate support for.

Mark
Old 01-29-2003, 07:43 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kariatari
I thought it was $15 Billion over 10 yrs... :s
I believe it wsa $15 over 5 years.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

When the president passed his education plan last year with the help of Senator Kennedy, new money was promised. The money was promised as part of his "No Child Left Behind Bill".

His office FROZE the money from being released. In my eight years of teaching I am looking at larger classes, teacher layoffs, not enough money for replacement text books, and I am buying more supplies for my class out of my own pocket than ever.

dreadsox, I am interested in what this president has done to "improve" education. Do you have any links or sites I could read about this? I knew the money had been frozen but I didn't know the effects or details. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:01 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 10:22 PM
it's 15 billion over 5 years 10 billion of which is ne money

it isn't quite where the number needs to be...and if we go to war with iraq I bet all bets are off becuae you can't have tax cut, war, and 15 billion in aid.

But I will say this...he's made a good start. He's mentioned it and told congress to take it seriously. ...He's started the trend int eh right way. And has gone a long way as to brining this issue upfront since it got the back burner after sept 11th.

I'll commend him for this..I'm very happy. I just hope everything goes well as far as this is concerned. At least he adressed the issue...and that's very good. let's just congress has the same resolve.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:13 AM   #26
New Yorker

Dreadsox,

Gov. Locke brought that up in the Democratic response to the State of the Union adress. I thought he did an awesome job and regardless of your views presented a very clear and compassionate speech. I'd also love to read more details about the education funding.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:30 AM   #27
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

I missed the bit about Africa, but that sounds very promising. I caught the Saddam Hussein section.

I thought the speech was very compelling and well delivered. If all of this is true, I would totally support clobbering Sadam & Co.

Why doesn't the speechwriter ever get to take a bow.....writers never get their due!

One thing that really bugs me though is the way the ENTIRE house has to give a standing ovation after almost EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE. I mean come on! I'm all for applause for key points, and a huge standing o at the end, but this is just ridiculous. They look like a bunch of totally mindless robots, and we were all killing ourselves laughing. This workout couldn't have been good for all those old folks' knees! They should have just stood all the way through from the beginning like at a U2 show and saved themselves the effort!

As long as the following words are in a sentence: "United States of America" "Prevail", "Will not allow" and "our God given freedom" they salivate like Pavlov's dogs!

Old 01-29-2003, 09:32 AM   #28
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
Dreadsox,

Gov. Locke brought that up in the Democratic response to the State of the Union adress. I thought he did an awesome job and regardless of your views presented a very clear and compassionate speech. I'd also love to read more details about the education funding.
I thought his was an excellent speech also. Why all Americans aren't Democrats is puzzling to me....
Old 01-29-2003, 09:40 AM   #29
New Yorker

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

The ANGELS (After sending letters thanking the President) need to be vigillant and continue to apply pressure until the money "REALLY" appears.

Peace
You hear that Angels? CALL HIM CALL HIM CALL HIM! I'll try to have a congrats letter posted by tonight. Please don't forget to call!

And Dubya, sir, here's a hug from Sherry. You'd better mean it!

SD
Old 01-29-2003, 09:41 AM   #30
New Yorker

My thoughts exactly!

edited for spelling - need more coffee