Bush Says "America Addicted to Oil."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:confused:

Does he drive more than the rest of us?

Perhaps GWB will challenge the US to actually do something. For decades we've whined about dependence on foreign oil, yet barred access to internal resources - all with the hope that someone will develop a cheap alternative.

nbcrusader said:

Perhaps GWB will challenge the US to actually do something. For decades we've whined about dependence on foreign oil, yet barred access to internal resources - all with the hope that someone will develop a cheap alternative.

He does travel a whole hell of a lot. Not to mention his past and current connections to the oil industry.

The problem is there isn't enough incentive on the demand side to cut down on oil use. Just now there are beginning to be tax breaks for hybrids...there needs to be more progress like that.

"America is addicted to oil, which is often imported from unstable parts of the world. ... The best way to break this addiction is through technology," Bush will say.
:happy: Well I guess he won't be sitting in a cardigan talking about energy conservation then. Maybe a reflective suit and a beanie with a mini-windmill on top of it.

Nah...hydrogen?

U2democrat said:
The problem is there isn't enough incentive on the demand side to cut down on oil use. Just now there are beginning to be tax breaks for hybrids...there needs to be more progress like that.

You mean people say one thing (we use too much oil), but do another (keep using oil)??? :wink:

Tax breaks for hybrids will benefit the auto industry more than the environment (there are a number of regular cars that get better gas milage than hybrids).

If we made alternative energy a real goal (on par with, let's say, the Apollo moon program), we'd have a cost efficient alternative within a decade.

nbcrusader said:

You mean people say one thing (we use too much oil), but do another (keep using oil)??? :wink:

Tax breaks for hybrids will benefit the auto industry more than the environment (there are a number of regular cars that get better gas milage than hybrids).

If we made alternative energy a real goal (on par with, let's say, the Apollo moon program), we'd have a cost efficient alternative within a decade.

That I agree with, but with the oil such a powerful industry, particularly in the white house, unfortunately I don't see that being a "real" goal.

It's a welcome statement from Bush, it could be said it's about time but to be fair, it's certainly welcome.

nbcrusader said:

Likely an allusion to his alcoholism and presumed drug addiction in his past.

Melon

I think its fair to say that U2 and the VERTIGO tour has used more oil in 2005 than any individual or small group.:wink:

nbcrusader said:
We've had many dealers for many decades. Age and experience will shape the perception.
Never with such close ties though.

You are right about one thing, age and experience will shape the perception and I'm not at all sure it will be in your favor.

Calluna said:
If we are addicted to oil then I guess Bush and Cheney and company are our dealers.

There ya go.

I think we've had the technology to make alternative fuels for years (using grains for example, which would help our farm economy, which would reduce the need for farm subsidies, which would aid the goal of fair trade, etc, etc) but the oil industry has lots of money and therefore lots of influence.

nbcrusader said:

Yes. And I´m all for it.

Calluna said:
If we are addicted to oil then I guess Bush and Cheney and company are our dealers.

I agree. And remember, the dealers have no mercy whatsoever. They will let mankind bleed, they will let you die if they can make their share.

Lets add the OPEC and a couple of Saudi Mullahs to the list, shall we?

Calluna said:

Never with such close ties though.

You are right about one thing, age and experience will shape the perception and I'm not at all sure it will be in your favor.

Having lived through a number of administrations (your profile suggests you will be 12 next week), I can say that the influence of the oil industry is far stronger than the simple ties you can cite with the current administration.

nbcrusader said:
Having lived through a number of administrations (your profile suggests you will be 12 next week), I can say that the influence of the oil industry is far stronger than the simple ties you can cite with the current administration.
Haha! I can assure you that I am not actually twelve (unlike Justin24). You're still a few years my senior but not as many as you might think.

Anyway, I have to beg to differ with you there, nb. I am no expert on this subject but unless you can prove that other administrations had closer ties than this one, I will continue to see it my way (just as you continue to see it yours.)

The book 'American Dynasty' by Kevin Phillips claims that the Bush/Cheney administration has more present or former oil industry associations than any other in history and sets out clear and documented evidence for this thesis.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/...line.com/dnblog/attytood/archives/002736.html

addict.jpg

financeguy said:
The book 'American Dynasty' by Kevin Phillips claims that the Bush/Cheney administration has more present or former oil industry associations than any other in history and sets out clear and documented evidence for this thesis.

My 11-year old could have come to that conclusion. Connections to the industry for a Texas oil-business family is a no-brainer.

Taking the next step of saying the industry has a greater influence is something else (and is really not based on other evidence).

Anyway, I am glad the "addiction to oil" line is catching on. Perhaps it will be a catalyst to real change.

Maybe we need a "war on oil" to really stop the habit.

Back
Top Bottom