Bush´s 15 bil to fight AIDS - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2005, 03:39 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Bush´s 15 bil to fight AIDS

This is a post from another forum, I´ll reprint it here

The Bush administration's $15 billion commitment to Aids in Africa and the Caribbean, the biggest single pledge by any US administration, undoubtedly benefits America's pharmaceutical companies, not surprising since

former President George Herbert Walker Bush was a one-time member of the Eli Lilly board of directors

former CEO of Enron, Ken Lay, one-time member of the Eli Lilly board of directors

George W. Bush’s former director of Management and Budget, Mitch Daniels (a former Eli Lilly vice president)

George W. Bush’s Homeland Security Advisory Council member, Sidney Taurel (current CEO of Eli Lilly)

The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (a recipient of Eli Lilly funding)

but few seriously doubt that its main aim is to improve the wellbeing of the people of Africa and the planet as a whole.

Some of the aid money $86m of the $865m apportioned to fighting AIDS in 2004 goes to Christian faith-based organizations who promote abstinence as a means of preventing sexually transmitted disease.

Way to go George! Let's fight AIDS by preaching abstinence.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:05 PM
Big business is not immoral, it is amoral, there is a distinction.

Directing more funding towards programs that promote abstinence exclusively is however not amoral.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 AM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:05 AM
I listened to a Rep. from the UN talking about US aid and how only US companies can be used for US dollars. She talked about salt tablets in SE Asia that weren't purchased because the logistics of using US companies and the deaths that resulted. She had many more examples. Unfortunately I can't remember her name.

How much of the 15 billion has been appropriated? Not the 6 billion promised by now. Less than 2 billion is more like it.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:20 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

You guys must really dislike it when Bono pays him a compliment.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:30 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
You guys must really dislike it when Bono pays him a compliment.
This thread is neither about us nor about Bono. Stop hijacking it.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Right...I would think that Bono's comments about Bush and AIDS a mere 48 Hours ago are MORE than relevant to this thread.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:46 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]BONO: Well, I think he's done an incredible job, his administration, on AIDS. And 250,000 Africans are on antiviral drugs. They literally owe their lives to America. In one year that's being done. But it can't just be AIDS. It has to be the environment in which viruses like AIDS thrive, or malaria. I mean, 3,000 Africans die every day of a mosquito bite. Can you think about that, malaria? That's not acceptable in the 21st century and we can stop it. And water-borne illnesses--dirty water takes another 3,000 lives--children, mothers, sisters.

Yes, there's a lot of pressure on President Bush. If he, though, in his second term, is as bold in his commitments to Africa as he was in the first term, he indeed deserves a place in history in turning the fate of that continent around. If he doesn't I fear that even the good work that he has started will be forgotten by history and that really makes me very, very sad, because I worked on a lot of this stuff, the AIDS initiative and the Millennium Challenge, and really want to see--I think he deserves his place in history here. I believe he has the heart for it, but his advisors are going to have to let him go to Gleneagles with something other than timid proposals and pilot programs and rhetoric. They're going to have to let him sign, you know, a proper check. One billions dollars is all it would take to save a million lives from malaria, with bed nets, etc., $1 billion. Four billion dollars, you could change the world. From the United States, an extra commitment of $4 billion.

[/Q]

[Q]BONO: Absolutely. This is the other war. This is a war that can be won so much more easily than the war against terror, and we wish the president and others luck in winning the war against terror. But this- -there will be a time when AIDS, you know, they'll find a vaccine, it will be over, malaria will be over. No, this is an issue that I think can unite Europe, can unite the world. And remember the rest of the world are very suspicious about the G8 countries, about the industrialized world. They're not sure, you know, if we have any values. They're not sure who we are. They meet us with our military, they meet us with our trade, our movies, our, you know, commodities. But they need to meet who we are on a deeper level. And that's where they meet us with foreign assistance.

And if it's spent well, if it's not used to redecorate presidential palaces and as it's not now. This is targeted, focused aid we're talking about now, only given to people who are tackling corruption. Then everyone's with them. Now, this is, I think, this will unite people. And I fear--and it's the reason I'm talking to you today--that, you know, because there's so much going of in America with the war in Iraq and stuff, that you might miss this opportunity. I love America. I believe in America. It offends me, it upsets me when the rest of the world thinks America is not doing enough. The president is right to say they're doing a quarter of all aid to Africa. He has doubled, even tripled if he follows through, aid to Africa. But they are about to double aid, the rest of Europe, to double aid, so that will leave America as one-eighth of all aid going to Africa if they don't match that. And that's not a place Americans want to be, one-eighth. And that will be Europe doing four times as much as America. You know, I want to encourage Americans just to give their president permission. I know he wants to do this, but his advisers must break with this kind of fiscal conservativity on this one issue. This is the moment to be generous right now. I'm sure of that.

[/Q]
Old 06-29-2005, 05:47 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

God Bush must suck.....
Old 06-29-2005, 06:12 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Right...I would think that Bono's comments about Bush and AIDS a mere 48 Hours ago are MORE than relevant to this thread.
Arguably, yes.

But this thread is more about governmental ties to pharma companies and aid money going to Christian organizations than about Bono´s comments.

If your third post was your first, and you hadn´t kept your first comment to a single sentence that is totally offtopic because it deals with our perception of Bono´s compliments (and not with any original issue of this thread at all), I wouldn´t have warned you.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:38 AM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
[Q] He has doubled, even tripled if he follows through, aid to Africa.
[/Q]
"IF HE FOLLOWS THROUGH" is the point. So far he has only fallen behind his original proposals. His track record thus far is dismal. He can't get his party to pass his less than promised appropriations (3 billion per year, about 300 million appropriated first year 400 million the next).

I would love for him to follow through on his promises and increase it to .7% GDP. I can look pass partisianship to make a real impact in Africa ect.

It could be the only highlight of his Presidency.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:05 PM
The ammount of aid given to a country over sustained periods of time is inversely proportional to economic growth.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:05 AM
The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill is actually pretty cool, they just happen to get $$ from a pharmaceutical company. I would guess this is to try to give themselves a human face. Yes, the pharmaceutical companies are making a killing these days, courtesy of the Bush Administration.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #13
Acrobat

Dreadsox,

Do you actually think that Bono is dumb enough to sit there and criticize Bush when he needs something from him?

I think Bono's smart enough to play at the political flattery game when he has to. And remember: "...if he follows through..."
Old 06-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

I wouldn´t have warned you.
Sounds threatening...Should I be?

AS for anyone's ties to any company, find me anyone in Washington NOT tied to one company or another somehow.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by echo0001
Dreadsox,

Do you actually think that Bono is dumb enough to sit there and criticize Bush when he needs something from him?

I think Bono's smart enough to play at the political flattery game when he has to. And remember: "...if he follows through..."
Do you actually think Bono would point out that Bush has ALREADY done more than any other President to fight this cause?

Yes, I give Bono a world of credit, however, he has spoken words about Bush in his book as well, long before meet the Press.

And my point is not that the US is doing enough....but that Bush has us going in the right direction...

It appears to me that the initial post of this thread is to point out that potentially the President is only doing something so that his friends can make a profit.

Apparently the President can do nothing right....