Bush Nominates Roberts to Replace Rehnquist as Chief Justice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No good. The base is even disenchanted. I think we're finally getting to the point where the true-blue (-red?), fiscal-conservative-type Republicans are fed up, and while it looked like up until now they were a wing of the party that Bush could safely ignore and rally 'round the "family values" folks instead, the Congressional old-schoolers are seriously pissed off.

It's got to be someone more mainstream. And someone with airtight credentials like Roberts', because if even one whole can be punched in the nom's legal qualifications, that'll spell disaster for the nomination.

pax said:
No good. The base is even disenchanted. I think we're finally getting to the point where the true-blue (-red?), fiscal-conservative-type Republicans are fed up, and while it looked like up until now they were a wing of the party that Bush could safely ignore and rally 'round the "family values" folks instead, the Congressional old-schoolers are seriously pissed off.

It's got to be someone more mainstream. And someone with airtight credentials like Roberts', because if even one whole can be punched in the nom's legal qualifications, that'll spell disaster for the nomination.

hmmmmm ... considering how quickly the Dobson wing of the Republican party torpedoed Dreier becoming Majority Leader, i think they've still got plenty of infulence inside the WH. and i still think they're awaiting their payback for -- whether accurate or not -- giving bush the presidency in 2004 thanks to their aggressive grassroots homophobic campagins in rural Ohio.

we'll see.

Irvine511 said:

hmmmmm ... considering how quickly the Dobson wing of the Republican party torpedoed Dreier becoming Majority Leader, i think they've still got plenty of infulence inside the WH. and i still think they're awaiting their payback for -- whether accurate or not -- giving bush the presidency in 2004 thanks to their aggressive grassroots homophobic campagins in rural Ohio.

we'll see.

Well, that's also a good point.

On a side note, though, based on what I've read about the growing disenchantment from the "old-school" conservatives (the small-government fiscal conservative types), I'm wondering if maaaaaaaayyyyybe the Republicans are going to start to splinter. I could see a major Republican split between the pro-war neocons, the "family-values" crowd (there's some crossover between the two), and the old-schoolers...and if that happens, I look forward to the Democrats remaining as apathetic, weak, and ineffectual as they've been until now! :hyper:

pax said:
On a side note, though, based on what I've read about the growing disenchantment from the "old-school" conservatives (the small-government fiscal conservative types), I'm wondering if maaaaaaaayyyyybe the Republicans are going to start to splinter. I could see a major Republican split between the pro-war neocons, the "family-values" crowd (there's some crossover between the two), and the old-schoolers...and if that happens, I look forward to the Democrats remaining as apathetic, weak, and ineffectual as they've been until now! :hyper:

i was really hoping this was going to happen in 2004, but then McCain and Giuliani bent over and spread their cheeks for Bush/Rove at the convention.

so sad.

Back
Top Bottom