Bush Nominates Roberts to Replace Rehnquist as Chief Justice - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #61
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:49 AM
:: blush ::

Thanks for saying so. I'm actually considering teaching as my next career move--probably teaching secondary English and going for certification as an ESL instructor. The educational inequalities in this country--neither gay dudes who want to get married nor, in all honesty, Jerry Falwell --are the single biggest threat to the American ideal, the American ideal being that anyone from anywhere can grow up to be a reasonably intelligent, self-sufficient, productive member of society.

But law school is something I always come back to. Lawyers can be very powerful people. It's something I'd really want to do on my own terms, though--spare me torts, corporate law, tax law, etc. I'd like to do civil rights, family law, or immigration law. Good immigration lawyers in particular are few and far between--more than any other class of lawyers than possibly family or personal injury lawyers, I think that bad immigration lawyers prey on the hopes and dreams of (sometimes) desperate people. They promise things they can't deliver and they try to convince people whose immigration cases should be easy that they need to spend all kinds of additional money.

(Anyway, rant over...but thank you for the compliment!)

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #62
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
[B]:: blush ::

Thanks for saying so. I'm actually considering teaching as my next career move

teachers

Old 09-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #63
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

For anyone who cares and for whom the testimony itself is a little tedious (as it can be), SCOTUSblog is live-blogging the hearings:

http://www.scotusblog.com/movabletype/

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:49 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/14/D8CK6VD80.html

"Supreme Court nominee John Roberts on Wednesday assured senators he would be guided by the law, not personal beliefs, on right-to-die cases. He also told the lawmakers that Congress can counter the court's decisions.

On right-to-die cases, the nominee would say little more than his oft- repeated response that it would be inappropriate to comment on cases that he might decide. "I will confront them with an open mind. They won't be based on my personal views. They will be based on my understanding of the law," he said."
Old 09-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #65
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

You know, if we wound up with Roberts as Chief and Edith Brown Clement taking O'Connor's spot, this whole SCOTUS thing might shape up to be not too bad. I really have to admit that Roberts is coming off extremely well. This might be one of Bush's rare smart moves.

In all seriousness, though, kudos to Roberts for handling himself so well, and to the people who vetted him. I feel much better after a few days of following the hearings pretty closely (via the NPR streams...go, NPR!). I mean, even Nina Totenberg can't say much bad about the guy.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

^I agree with pax. He seems more than decent from what we've heard.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #67
War Child

Local Time: 02:49 PM
vertigogal, i am EXTREMELY impressed that someone of your age is interested in this and can comment intelligently. We need more young people like you in this country.

I can't wait to meet you in November!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

thanks! *blush*

I don't really say anything intelligent, I just nod and agree with intelligent people

November! I think we'll be on complete opposite ends of the arena, but we'll meet in spirit
Old 09-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I haven't watched the hearings, but I've been listening to them on the radio at work. The Chief Justice-to-be is undoubtably a smart man and is acquitting himself well--helped by being a voice of reason amongst politicking on both sides. I was impressed by his knowledge and unperturbable nature, but you know, for all the listening, I still don't know a thing about him. He gave a little bit to everybody and not enough to anybody to really gauge what he is going to be like. I'm not comforted nor discomfited just left with a very clever empty slate. He doesn't give much away.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:49 AM
After listening to some of the hearings, it is interesting to see the stark contrast between an intelligent person and idiot politicians.

Find the redundancy in the statement....
Old 09-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Nice Political Move

Bloomberg opposes Roberts' nomination

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Friday opposed John Roberts' nomination to be U.S. Supreme Court chief justice, making him the first noted Republican to break with the Bush administration over who should lead America's top court.

Bloomberg, a former Democrat seeking re-election in a heavily Democratic city, said Roberts had failed to show a commitment to upholding the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision establishing a right to abortion.

"I am unconvinced that Judge Roberts accepts the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling as settled law," Bloomberg said.

Roberts' answers to questions in Senate confirmation hearings "did not indicate a commitment to protect a woman's right to choose," he said. "For that reason I oppose the nomination of Judge Roberts as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court."
True concern, or just shoring up the Pro-Choice vote?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
idiot politicians.

Find the redundancy in the statement....
i presume you mean the dems

some of the gop are real nitwits
Old 09-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Yep...its always us VS them.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Nice Political Move

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

True concern, or just shoring up the Pro-Choice vote?

can't it be both?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

I would think the "devil you know" (not that he's a devil in any way, at least compared to what we could get), would be safe and preferable to the one you don't. It does seem rather partisan. I think he did play it so safe in his answers that it makes me a bit suspicious..I don't get the whole "warning" concept

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092000915.html

The Senate Democratic leader, pressed by several allies to build as much opposition as possible to Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts Jr., said yesterday he will vote against President Bush's choice for chief justice. But Sen. Harry M. Reid of Nevada conceded that Roberts will be confirmed easily next week and "will get plenty of votes" from his fellow Democrats.

Reid's announcement, made in a closed party caucus luncheon and then a Senate speech, came as Democratic senators are struggling with the first chief justice confirmation in 19 years. Many party activists want them to show as much solidarity against Roberts as they can muster. Not only does Roberts's conservative philosophy deserve it, they argue, but it also would serve as a warning to Bush that Democrats will fight vigorously if Bush names someone even further to the right to succeed centrist Justice Sandra Day O'Connor this fall.