Bush-Moral Crusade (NY Times editorial) - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #46
Acrobat
 
echo0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WV-USA
Posts: 349
Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I think it unrealistic to think that you can stop the spread of AIDS without clean needles.

I say deal with the addiction 2nd...the health crisis 1st.
Absolutely.

And...

There's been some talk here about drug addicts being responsible for the results of their own behavior.

How about the woman who contracts AIDS from a dirty needle, and passes it on to her unborn child--does the child deserve to live (very shortly) with the consequences of the mother's addiction?

And....

Yes, Bono said some nice things about Bush. But ....

Quote:
The president is right to say they're doing a quarter of all aid to Africa. He has doubled, even tripled, if he follows through, aid to Africa.
..if he follows through. If. Cross your fingers.
__________________

__________________
echo0001 is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:03 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Actually yes I can. Addictions take time, but until they can kick it, I want them to be as healthy as they can.
If you want them to be healthy, don't you think the best way to do that would be encouraging them in every way possible to quit shooting up, rather than giving them clean needles, which will only perpetuate their deadly habit?

The only thing giving them clean needles will do is decrease their chances of getting AIDS. They will still die premature deaths while their sleazebag dealers who got them hooked will live long lives to get other people hooked, because dealers usually don't use.
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

If you want them to be healthy, don't you think the best way to do that would be encouraging them in every way possible to quit shooting up, rather than giving them clean needles, which will only perpetuate their deadly habit?

The only thing giving them clean needles will do is decrease their chances of getting AIDS. They will still die premature deaths while their sleazebag dealers who got them hooked will live long lives to get other people hooked, because dealers usually don't use.


maybe if they had clean needles to begin with, they would not have contracted HIV and not have passed it along to spouses, girlfriends, people they rape, etc.

are you willing to support, with your votes and your tax dollars, drug rehabilitation programs? are you willing to start understanding drugs as a health problem and not as a law-and-order issue?

until we get to that point, as a society, and we continue to preach mantras of self-help and personal responsibility and tough love, then we're always going to have a problem.

sometimes, you need to give people a reason not to do drugs. it's in EVERYONE'S interest to not have people shooting up in public parks ... instead of tossing such riff-raff in jail, as if it were a crime issue, let's address the reasons why people turn to drugs in the first place.

heck, if i were a young man in Russia, i'd probably be on drugs as well. or at least some kind of alcoholic.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 02:18 AM
Hygene is also important, rates of HIV transmission are much greater when STD's and what not going around, the risk of transfer in penile-vaginal sex is a lot greater if there are leisions and bleeding where it can get into the blood.

Needles are the big thing as well, it doesn't matter what feel morally about drug use because at the end of the day not helping somebody exclusively because you have a moral opposition to their behaviour will not prevent their behaviour.

Interesting side-note the life expectancy for a man in Russia today is 61.95 which is lower than the life expectancy in Bangladesh for a man which is 62.08.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,294
Local Time: 11:18 AM
To me, this should have nothing to do with morals.

It is a bit like teaching only abstinence because you oppose anything else based on moral or religious grounds.

We need to be realistic about the world we live in, not the fantasy we'd like to live in. We have to comprehend fully what is going on out there on the streets, in the ditches in Africa, the rundown cities of Russia. The reality is people are massively dying. From an immunological perspective, HIV/AIDS is a disaster that we may never be able to properly curb. Additionally, immunosuppressed people are a breeding ground for a number of opportunistic pathogens which would otherwise be absent from the population at large. Therefore there is a double risk to non-infected people - not just AIDS itself, but various viral and bacterial strains. There are serious social implications, collapsing family structures and enormous costs to our medical infrastructure.

This is no time to live in la-la land. In a perfect world, nobody would shoot up. We do not live in a perfect world, we live in this one. And if you can't accept that as a reality, then I understand why millions continue to be doomed.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Needles are the big thing as well, it doesn't matter what feel morally about drug use because at the end of the day not helping somebody exclusively because you have a moral opposition to their behaviour will not prevent their behaviour.
My moral opposition to drug usage is not my basis for being against giving them needles. My moral opposition to helping them perputate the deadly behavior is.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

If you want them to be healthy, don't you think the best way to do that would be encouraging them in every way possible to quit shooting up, rather than giving them clean needles, which will only perpetuate their deadly habit?
Yes and condoms promote sex...I forgot.

Seriously I'm not sure why you aren't getting this. You can encourage all you want but how long will it take to convince some they can? How many are going to quit cold turkey? I'll give you a liberal guess and I'd say 5%. So for those other 95% that are interested in quitting will still continue at least for a short time why would you want them to put themselves at risk even if they are about or on their way to recovery?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


are you willing to support, with your votes and your tax dollars, drug rehabilitation programs? are you willing to start understanding drugs as a health problem and not as a law-and-order issue?
Yes, I am. That's a much better thing to do than give them needles.

until we get to that point, as a society, and we continue to preach mantras of self-help and personal responsibility and tough love, then we're always going to have a problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

sometimes, you need to give people a reason not to do drugs. it's in EVERYONE'S interest to not have people shooting up in public parks ... instead of tossing such riff-raff in jail, as if it were a crime issue, let's address the reasons why people turn to drugs in the first place.
There are many reasons not to do drugs. Many people grow up in bad neighborhoods and with bad childhoods and don't do drugs.
Some of this "riff-raff" needs to be in jail; violent drug-related crimes are not rare.

However, education is key for many. Parents should have been responsible for that, but modern parenting has dropped the ball on tecahing the fundamentals, so it has fallen to the schools. Missions and shelters help the adults; they do a lot of good work.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #54
Refugee
 
unosdostres14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ogacihC
Posts: 1,558
Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

If you want them to be healthy, don't you think the best way to do that would be encouraging them in every way possible to quit shooting up, rather than giving them clean needles, which will only perpetuate their deadly habit?
Okay. You gotta realize that these people are ADDICTED to the drug. Their bodies cannot function unless that chemical is in their system. Not giving them needles and saying, "no no no...drugs are bad for you" does absolutely nothing to stop their addiction.

Now pretend you are a group of drug addicts and no government is providing you with clean needles. All of a sudden you all have a chemical imbalance and need to take some drugs. Do you really think that not having clean needles will stop them from sharing. They are gonna all share needles and use them over and over. I mean think of it this way. These people are drug addicts. They are putting extremely harmful substances in their bodies. Do you really think the lack of clean needles will help them stop using drugs?

No matter what happens, people will use drugs. It would take all the money in the world to give each and every person drug rehabilitation therapy in order to stop it. At least we can try to stop AIDS from spreading. Sure, people are reponsible for their own actions, but we should have the kindness to try to save their lives from a horrible disease.
__________________
unosdostres14 is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Seriously I'm not sure why you aren't getting this..
And I seriously don't get why you don't understand that giving people needles further promotes drug usage and helps them stay in a destructive lifestlye that will more than likely kill them prematurely. The chances of that are greater than the chances of catching AIDS.

I seriously am not sure why you think feeding a destructive lifestyle like drug addiction helps in any way except decreasing the chances of contracting AIDS. It seems like that is all that people here are worried about. No one here pays any attention to the toll that drug abuse takes on a person. No one here seems to understand that drug addiction, which is perpuated by "needle gifts", kills people prematurely, and in many more ways than just AIDS.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
You can encourage all you want but how long will it take to convince some they can? How many are going to quit cold turkey? I'll give you a liberal guess and I'd say 5%. So for those other 95% that are interested in quitting will still continue at least for a short time why would you want them to put themselves at risk even if they are about or on their way to recovery?
What? Give them needles while they are going through drug rehab steps, and then actually expecting them to be successful in resisting drugs? You've got to be kidding me.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 06-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


And I seriously don't get why you don't understand that giving people needles further promotes drug usage and helps them stay in a destructive lifestlye that will more than likely kill them prematurely. The chances of that are greater than the chances of catching AIDS.

I seriously am not sure why you think feeding a destructive lifestyle like drug addiction helps in any way except decreasing the chances of contracting AIDS. It seems like that is all that people here are worried about. No one here pays any attention to the toll that drug abuse takes on a person. No one here seems to understand that drug addiction, which is perpuated by "needle gifts", kills people prematurely, and in many more ways than just AIDS.



What? Give them needles while they are going through drug rehab steps, and then actually expecting them to be successful in resisting drugs? You've got to be kidding me.
I'll put it this way, anything that saves more lives in the long run, I'm for.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,270
Local Time: 10:18 AM
to Irvine's post, particularly the part about how we have to look at the problems that lead people to do drugs in the first place, and anitram's post, particularly the part about looking at things from the real world view, not our fantasy worlds.

The only people in drug-related situations that I would think would need to be in jail are those who are involved in drugs and who are also committing violent crimes, like murder, or who are building labs and that in neighborhoods where, with one false move, they can endanger a great deal of their neighbors' lives (that's what happened in my old town back in Nebraska-across the street from my house, it was discovered that a couple of guys were running a meth lab, and the police had to come in and raid it. Thankfully, nobody in the neighborhood got hurt, and I know for sure one of the guys was apprehended, don't know about the other one (they weren't there at the time of the raid, the one guy was found later on), but it could've gotten dangerous).

But those who aren't involved in that stuff and just shooting up on their own or something, they don't need jail, they need help. So if the only body that stuff's going into is the body of the smoker or the druggie, it's their choice. Do I like it? No, and I'll do whatever I can to help them and hope that they'll realize that this isn't healthy for them (but I'll help them in a way that won't make it seem like I'm getting all preachy on them, because all that does is turn them away and get even more irritated with me). But if someone really wants to do drugs, just like if they really want to smoke or really want to drink, or whatever else, they will do it. It's a sad choice, imho, but it's still theirs.

Angela
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com