Bush misled the American public in the 2000 Election Campaign - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
So the President, and Congress, should not have had a change in their collective viewpoint, based on the perceived dangers after 9/11?

Not if it was based on dodgy intelligence, or to directly quote D.S.M., 'the intelligence is being fixed around the policy.'

Old 07-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Not if it was based on dodgy intelligence, or to directly quote D.S.M., 'the intelligence is being fixed around the policy.'
If you believe that to be the case there is probably nothing I can do to change your mind.

I can only say that before the war, I read source upon source from Germany, Russia, and France that had virtually the same results as the US intelligence,,,,

Otherwise I would believe as you do, that the US was doctoring the intelligence.

When other nations opposed to the use of force had the same intelligence indicating the same thing as the US, I come to the conclusion there was no effort on the US's part to beef up the case.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:10 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:

So the President, and Congress, should not have had a change in their collective viewpoint, based on the perceived dangers after 9/11?
Of course they should have changed their collective viewpoint. And the collective viewpoint should have been let's go after the terrorist that did this. Not hey let's CREATE a battlefield to which we can start a war that will never end.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:10 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Christ, Dreadsox...would you stop with the rhetoric already??

Yes, OK. Their viewpoint changed somewhat (although I think the pendulum has swung a bit too far). But how does a totally unrelated terrorist attack (no matter the size) justify the wholesale invasion and occupation of a completely different country in a totally different situation who had absolutely ZERO capability of launching a credible threat to ANY western nation?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Dave, if you are of the opinion that I am not open minded enough to be voicing my own thought out opinions...

Then I have nothing really I can say to you......

I would like to think that people who have known me in here for the better part of four years would give me more credit than repeating "rhetoric" as you call it...

I would ask you this....

Why was the US attacked on 9/11 in your opinion?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

You know that's a loaded question. You're trying to trap me.

And the "people know me so it's obvious I wouldn't do it" argument is just about the biggest fallacy there is.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Dread what's your new avatar, is that someone's foot on someone's back? Kinda kinky...

Paticular artist? Reason?

It's very interesting...
Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
You know that's a loaded question. You're trying to trap me.

And the "people know me so it's obvious I wouldn't do it" argument is just about the biggest fallacy there is.
Good chatting with you
Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:
9/11 didn't change everything?
Not everything. I supported the Afghanistan mission because of 9/11, and because the Taliban were a bunch of Nazi types, but not Iraq. Iraq was the kind of nation-building he was denouncing in the campaign.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Dread what's your new avatar, is that someone's foot on someone's back? Kinda kinky...

Paticular artist? Reason?

It's very interesting...
Old 07-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Damn you I wanted to know.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Iraq was the kind of nation-building he was denouncing in the campaign.
That was not the intent of Iraq though....

It had to be a part of it....

But do you really believe we would have had a war in Iraq IF 9/11 did not happen?

I feel the nation building would have been easier had we a broader coalition. I am not saying this to disrespect any nation that has contributed, but I believe we are hurting on this end of things because we did not invest in the diplomacy early on.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Why was the US attacked on 9/11 in your opinion?
Well seing as DaveC is seemingly not prepared to answer the question, I can give my personal opinion.

To me there a quite a number of unanswered questions about the attacks. For example, why were wealthy Saudis allowed to fly out the of the US just days after the event at a time when all civilian aircraft were grounded? Why were the planes not shot down?

In terms of the reasons for the attacks, there is a theory, which I find intriguing, that Bush administration was in negotiations with the Taliban to build an oil pipeline - however the negotiations broke down and a few months later 911 happened. According to this theory, although Bin Laden was probably planning the attacks for quite some time, he did not give the final instructions until he got clearance from the Taliban who at that stage were protecting him.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I feel the nation building would have been easier had we a broader coalition. I am not saying this to disrespect any nation that has contributed, but I believe we are hurting on this end of things because we did not invest in the diplomacy early on.
Well I agree with you on that, I am increasingly of the view that Chirac is a complete and utter c*** and is determined not to contribute to the nation building purely to piss off the White House. Meanwhile, people are dying.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 08:44 AM
If 9/11 hadn't happened, American troops wouldn't be in Iraq, no matter what crappy intelligence was floating around. I think that Bush and his buddies exploited the tragedy to get what they wanted. Mislead the public? He does it every damn day.