Bush Makes Me Mad/National Endowment of the Arts - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2003, 09:59 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Bush Makes Me Mad/National Endowment of the Arts

ARRRRGH! At this moment, I REALLY REALLY dispise Bush. In fact I did when he was elected. I voted for Gore on the sole reason he would raise the funding for the National Endowment of the Arts. Bush BLATANTLY said he would cut the funding. HE ALL BUT GOT RID OF IT!

Now these past few years orchestras have been folding, declaring bankruptcy, cutting back on salaries. Some have been asked if Sept. 11th has anything to do with it. And they shake their heads and ALL say "Nope....Lack of funding from the National Endowment of the Arts."

WHAT THE HECK!? Bush...you're killing a wonderful art, you eeeeee-diot! (Thank you Ren and Stimpy).

*phew* Ok...I feel better now that I ranted like that.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:18 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:59 AM
I guess I'm an eeeeee-diot, also. You should consider yourself lucky I'm not the pres. I would have totally got rid of funding for the NEA. In fact, that would have been the first thing to go.

Old 06-24-2003, 10:38 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

why is that?

although I think I have heard stories of that money going to the most ridiculous uses...
Old 06-24-2003, 11:45 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Just about everything the NEA funds is matched with funds from private sources. Hell, some people who supported Bush in the election are major supporters of the NEA in this neck of the woods. This includes the benefactor of the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. I wonder what they're thinking now.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think the government has better things to spend our money on than to pay for someone to paint a picture or take a photo or write a song, whatever. If someone is sick enough to immerse a cross in glass of urine and then take a photo, that's his freedom. But it offends the crap out of me, and I shouldn't be forced to pay even 1/100,000,000th of a cent on it. It's the principle of the thing. And I know what some of ya'll are thinking, so I'll go ahead and answer those questions right away:

1)No, it wouldn't make any difference if the person were paiting something I liked, like a reverent painting of Jesus. If he wants to paint and get a gallery started for it, excellent! But no one should eb forced to pay for his gallery. Maybe I would pay if he asked for donations, but no oen should be forced to pay for other people's art.

2)No, I don't agree with everything Bush has done.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:21 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

It's unfortunate the so many people have such a low view of the arts. In my opinion, they are quite a necessary part of having a good society and I'm more than happy to have some of my taxes going to support them.

Old 06-24-2003, 01:23 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

You're assuming every talented artist has the means to create art without any kind of financial support.

And this idea that money raised through taxation shouldn't be spent on things which offend the tax payer is impossible. Many taxpayers don't like war and yet it doesn't prevent the federal government spending billions bombing Iraq.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:24 PM   #8
New Yorker

Not everyone appreciates head start meal programs at school. Not everyone appreciates spending money on war. Not everyone agrees with spending money on art.

The fact of the matter is that for one thing that may offend you, there are SOOOO many things that you or anyone else would never get exposure to if it wasn't for the NEA. Opera, symphonies, Monet, Shakespeare. And up here in NYC, many of our art museums are not free. Without the NEA, you are further restricting the people who are able to view art. So you don't like it. So what? Some 10-year-old kid living in the projects may go to museum, be inspired by what is on the wall and actually DO something with his life. If he wants to be a poor starving but none the less ARTIST then he should have access to that.

On a side note, who do you think paid for the band that Larry Mullen Jr. marched in as a kid. Wanna make a bet it was subsidised by the government? and look where we are now.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:26 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I agree 100% with both sula and sharky.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

There's a lot of things being bought with my tax dollars that I don't agree on...but I agree with you 80's, I don't want my tax dollars being spent on one man's art. But I do believe in spending my tax dollars on art education.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:31 PM   #11
Refugee

I appreciate the 'nenagetive' responses for the NEA if you will.
There is a saying that goes "if you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you are smart, surround yourself with people who disagree with you."

I have always been for the people deciding where their taxes go. Frankly, I think, in my opinion, if the people decided where their taxes went to, our economy would be pretty darn good. How can 100 senators, and numerous state representatives and a president know what is good for the people? I think it's wrong they decide where the tax money goes. If you are going to tax us, fine, then let every single person decide where their money is spent. It's not the governments money to decide where it goes. We earned it. You're forcing us to spend 20 percent on taxes? Let us decide where it goes then.

One person may chose, Military, Health, Education and other genres. Myself would chose the NEA, Education and Health. Why not the military? They'll get their funding. Millions of people support the military. So I'll take my money and give it to something that WON'T get support, like the NEA.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:43 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
It's unfortunate the so many people have such a low view of the arts. In my opinion, they are quite a necessary part of having a good society and I'm more than happy to have some of my taxes going to support them.
And that's your freedom to pay for their support.

But I shouldn't have to.

And it's pretty insulting that you think I have a low appreciation for the arts just because I don't want to foot the bill for others. In fact, I am a songwriter, and have written 3 stage musicals.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:48 PM   #13
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:59 AM
I'm not sure what this NEA is, but I get the gist. I think its very poor as well. The Arts are as important to society as say sport for example. If it is viewed as a trivial persuit or worthless, then cut out sports funding too. I couldn't give a rats arse if Cathy Freeman can never crack her 100 metre record. Just like sport orientated people couldn't give a shit if I finally mastered oil as a medium.

That said, there is a place for all these things in our society, all contributing to enriching us and our lives. Funding for all these things whether we like it or not, is important.

In my view.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:54 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Not everyone appreciates head start meal programs at school. Not everyone appreciates spending money on war. Not everyone agrees with spending money on art.

The fact of the matter is that for one thing that may offend you, there are SOOOO many things that you or anyone else would never get exposure to if it wasn't for the NEA. Opera, symphonies, Monet, Shakespeare. And up here in NYC, many of our art museums are not free. Without the NEA, you are further restricting the people who are able to view art. So you don't like it. So what? Some 10-year-old kid living in the projects may go to museum, be inspired by what is on the wall and actually DO something with his life. If he wants to be a poor starving but none the less ARTIST then he should have access to that.

On a side note, who do you think paid for the band that Larry Mullen Jr. marched in as a kid. Wanna make a bet it was subsidised by the government? and look where we are now.
You can hardly compare the importance of funding educational programs with funding someone to create offensive art. As nice as it may be to go to an art museum and look at the nice paintings, it's nothing compared to teaching a child to read.

Museums will survive without the NEA's help. There are a lot of wealthy philanthropists that would gladly shill out the big bucks if they felt their favorite museum was ablout to go under.

Let me ask you a question here. And be honest with your answer. Do you have a loved one? What if I painted a picture of your loved one (call him/her "Sam Sharky") covered in dung, called it "Sam Sharky", and hung it on the wall in the art gallery in your neighborhood. Then you find out that your very own tax dollars paid me to paint that? How would that make you feel? Remmber, be honest...
Old 06-24-2003, 01:55 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fan101
One person may chose, Military, Health, Education and other genres. Myself would chose the NEA, Education and Health. Why not the military? They'll get their funding. Millions of people support the military. So I'll take my money and give it to something that WON'T get support, like the NEA.
though i do agree with your position on funding for the arts, this is one of the most ill founded economic plans i have ever read. the 'people' dont have the information, nor can they, to make these types of decisions.

for example i am a canadian citizen and an employee of industry canada, a government regulator of many things industrial including radiocommunication. we control the spectrum on which canada's communications systems operate. few people outside of the 14th floor of this building in ottawa have a frikkin clue what we do, why we do it or even that it is done (including my own friends). this is because people don't understand. they have no reason to. under your system some broad topic, which in itself is misleading, like 'telecom regulation' would surely be inappropriately funded.