"Bush" LOVERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My problem with the president is that I agree with his initial ideas on many things, ie Iraq, Education, War on Terror, AIDS.....but then it is the manner in which he conducts his busy to get from point A to point B that I have a hard time with.

I am also very much opposed to amending the constitution. I would say that I can think of no other time in history where the constitution was amended to strike out at a particular group. All of the Amendments I can think of have been to give rights or stregnthen them. I have thought about intent of the founding fathers and I am not sure this provision was intended to be used in this manner.

Still sitting on the fence....dreadsox.

RocknRollKitty said:
I didn't know Bush spoke Spanish. All presidential candidates make a speech in Spanish when they court Texas, but most of them are reading from a pre-prepared piece of paper and have no idea what they are saying (kind of like Bono on stage in Sweden or Brazil)

Huh, does that mean Gore was just reading something pre-prepared for him when he spoke Spanish?

Texas shares a border with Mexico. As Texas was once part of Mexico, naturally there would still be remnants of that, i.e. Spanish speakers, town names, people who stayed when Texas became part of the U.S., etc. California also has a large Spanish speaking population, again, a border state with Mexico. Bush for whatever reason, either just growing up in Texas and learning the language, having "Hispanic" relatives, was wise to pick it up. Some world leaders speak 3 or 4 languages. It can only help a candidate to speak another language, other than the dominant one.

Bush would give a weekly address in Spanish, not sure if he kept up on it, as I don't really listen to Spanish news radio stations.

Oregoropa said:
Bush is decisive and genuine. I know what he stands for.

He is proud to defend America. He is not afraid to take action even if it may hurt his poll numbers. He has not jeopardized American security by relying on the opinion of other nations. I might add that some of the "other nations" may not have wanted to act on Iraq because they were taking bribes in the Oil for Food Program.

He understands that we are fighting an asymetric war against terrorism. While Iraq never had active Al Qaeda camps as those located in Afghanistan we have acheived a strategic goal of giving the terrorists a convenient target. Our troop prescence is drawing clandestine cells into the open in Iraq where our skilled soldiers can egage them in a battlefield setting. This is the war we want to fight rather than waiting for the next civilian airliner to slam into a building on American soil. In September of 2003 Bin Laden released a tape commanding Al Qaeda to attack us in Iraq (the geographic center of the terrorist world). Forgot the WMD argument, I think drawing terrorists into a conventional battlefield may be the true aim of the Iraq mission.

It may take 10-15 years to reap the benefits of stabilizing terror states. We took down Iraq & Afghanistan and now Libya is cooperating by dismantling their weapons programs.

He is promoting thinning of unhealthy and overgrown forests in the U.S.. In this case, the excess trees need to go or the western U.S. will go up in flames. He's not destroying the environment, just allowing common sense to run its course.

He proudly signed the ban on late term abortion. Not shying away from the issue at all.

These are some of the reasons I like Bush. I think he needs to get out more and defend his position, but public speaking was never his forte. I believe his deciveness is. If Bush is not re-elected, he should still be proud of what he accomplished and the nation is better off because he was the 43rd President.

i've been struggling with my convictions about voting for bush...there are times i cant stand him, but this i have to agree with.

:up:

Last edited:
decisive and genuine. I know what he stands for.

He is not afraid to take action even if it may hurt his poll numbers.

Sounds like me. I say what I feel, even if it makes me unpopular and loses me friends. I am proud of my values and my convictions and feel I am on the right side no matter what anyone thinks.

He proudly signed the ban on late term abortion. Not shying away from the issue at all.

That took balls. That made me very proud. He did the right thing. That makes him a hero to me:up:

I'm still not saying I'll vote. Right now I'm undecided between Bush and not voting at all.

Oregoropa said:
Bush is decisive and genuine. I know what he stands for.

He is proud to defend America. He is not afraid to take action even if it may hurt his poll numbers. He has not jeopardized American security by relying on the opinion of other nations. I might add that some of the "other nations" may not have wanted to act on Iraq because they were taking bribes in the Oil for Food Program.

He understands that we are fighting an asymetric war against terrorism. While Iraq never had active Al Qaeda camps as those located in Afghanistan we have acheived a strategic goal of giving the terrorists a convenient target. Our troop prescence is drawing clandestine cells into the open in Iraq where our skilled soldiers can egage them in a battlefield setting. This is the war we want to fight rather than waiting for the next civilian airliner to slam into a building on American soil. In September of 2003 Bin Laden released a tape commanding Al Qaeda to attack us in Iraq (the geographic center of the terrorist world). Forgot the WMD argument, I think drawing terrorists into a conventional battlefield may be the true aim of the Iraq mission.

It may take 10-15 years to reap the benefits of stabilizing terror states. We took down Iraq & Afghanistan and now Libya is cooperating by dismantling their weapons programs.

He is promoting thinning of unhealthy and overgrown forests in the U.S.. In this case, the excess trees need to go or the western U.S. will go up in flames. He's not destroying the environment, just allowing common sense to run its course.

These are some of the reasons I like Bush. I think he needs to get out more and defend his position, but public speaking was never his forte. I believe his deciveness is. If Bush is not re-elected, he should still be proud of what he accomplished and the nation is better off because he was the 43rd President.

great points :up:

thrillme, being hispanic myself, I find myself completely unable to see how Bush would be more appealing to the hispanic voter. His ability to speak Spanish didn't make his sending of FBI security guards to Mexico City's airport to check people any less offensive, at least not to me.

Ant.

RocknRollKitty said:

That took balls. That made me very proud. He did the right thing. That makes him a hero to me:up:

I'm still not saying I'll vote. Right now I'm undecided between Bush and not voting at all.

I'm confused. If Bush is a "hero to you" then why wouldn't you vote for him indefinitely? Are there things you don't like about Bush? I'm just curious.

Anthony said:
thrillme, being hispanic myself, I find myself completely unable to see how Bush would be more appealing to the hispanic voter. His ability to speak Spanish didn't make his sending of FBI security guards to Mexico City's airport to check people any less offensive, at least not to me.

Ant.

I wouldn't say it makes Bush more "appealing," just, understandable, more comfortable. He's talking to people in the language they know fluently. I live in Southern California, as a cashier, I have people come up to me, speaking Spanish. I am Mexican-American, but my parents never got around to teaching me Spanish, had to learn it later in life, and I'm not very fluent in it.

I do my best, but my Spanish is not very good, sometimes have to have children or someone else be translator, and you want to make sure the person knows what your saying. If I spoke Spanish fluently, I wouldn't run into the problem of having misunderstandings translating from Spanish to English.

Terrorists could try to come to the U.S. via Mexico or Canada. I had my bags checked when I came back from Ireland at a Boston airport. They didn't out right say it, but I know they were thinking, "Why was a Mexican going to Ireland", but ye know, that's the way it's become.

What has Kerry said, in regards to the largest growing minority group? If you're going to be President, you can't ignore this.

----------------------

Bush made good on his promise to ban partial birth abortions, no one questions Bush's stance on abortion. Whether you're pro-choice or not, that is a big position to take, and you have to have the guts to say how you feel, even if it does make you less favourable.

I can make up my mind better, with someone who's decisive about their opinions, not wishy-washy.

Back
Top Bottom