Bush losing ground on War on Terror approval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
"For the first time in ABC News/Washington Post polls, more than half of Americans, 52 percent, say the Iraq war was not worth fighting. Seven in 10 call U.S. casualties there 'unacceptable,' a new high. And there's been a steady slide in belief that the war has enhanced long-term U.S. security; 51 percent now say so, down 11 points this year."

"Bush, moreover, has weakened in his once-strongest area. Approval of his handling of the U.S. campaign against terrorism has fallen to 50 percent, its lowest yet -- down eight points in the last month and 29 points below its immediate postwar peak. In a hazardous turn of fortune for Bush, Democrat John Kerry now runs evenly with him in trust to handle terrorism; Bush had led by 13 points on this issue a month ago, and by 21 points the month before."

(From today's War Room at Salon.)

Well, this is not good news for Bush. I think the last item is probably the most damning. I bet there's someone going to start thawing Osama's head as we speak.

I still dont see a terrorist strike on US soil, sadly the masses never realize that the safety and freedom they enjoy is because of the sacrifice of their fighting men and women.
/sniff :sad:

A_Wanderer said:
...sadly the masses never realize that the safety and freedom they enjoy is because of the sacrifice of their fighting men and women.

I really don?t know how this is related to the subject. According to the polls 'the masses' disapprove of the way Bush is handling the War on Terror, not of the military.

yeah but they fail to reciognize that a reason they are in a condition of relative safety is because of Bush's descisions as POTUS such as Afghanistan and Iraq. If they don't believe in these wars then to them the sacrifice of the soldiers is pointlesss and hence does not contribute to their safety and security.

Right, so you assume they (the masses) don't agree with these two conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq and you translated that into the notion that "the masses never realize ... men and women"?

That doesn't sound very logical but I guess it's just a matter of phrasing. :shrug:

Btw what's POTUS?

DrTeeth said:

I really don?t know how this is related to the subject. According to the polls 'the masses' disapprove of the way Bush is handling the War on Terror, not of the military.

Bizzare as this sounds...its about how I feel.

While I agree with the action he has taken, I am not certain I agree with the manner in which it was conducted.

:huh:

When the conventions are held, we will see how things poll out. I do believe the economy is doing well. My counter stocks have slowed way down and my other stocks are doing better.

I am guessing, barring a terrorist attack, that if the economy continues to turn around, that will be a huge issue.

My gut, however, tells me we are about to see a LARGE turnout at the polls in NOV. and I believe the President will lose.

DrTeeth said:
What's his strongest area now? :scratch:

Being a reactionary right-wing bigot that panders to his extremist Christian hate blocs.

Melon

Last edited:
I am trying to say that when people wake up each morning and have a peaceful day they cannot link it too what is going on in Iraq or Afghanistan, they take it for granted - its as if September 11 has drifted into a distant memory, 2 1/2 years is a lifetime in the internet age. It is why I feel support for the war on terror is slippery, people cannot see the direct results of it and loose sight of the geopolitical importance of millitary and diplomatic action. Either way its how I think and I want to say it - I Love Freedom.

Re: Re: Bush losing ground on War on Terror approval

melon said:

Being a reactionary right-wing bigot that panders to his extremist Christian hate blocs.

Melon

You repeat this frequently. Do you have any "extremist Christian hat blocs" in mind?

A_Wanderer said:
I still dont see a terrorist strike on US soil, sadly the masses never realize that the safety and freedom they enjoy is because of the sacrifice of their fighting men and women.
/sniff :sad:

Nothing to do with this poll.

Anyways how do you prove that the way Bush handled it has increased our safety? The events after 9/ 11 could have been handled many different ways, how are you to predict that this one made it any safer than any other? We could have handled it completely different and gotten less casualties or a lot more casualties. You don't know! So before you start spouting off about the masses try and have something to back up what you are saying. The masses aren't happy with how it's being handled, period. It says nothing else about where they stand with the war on terrorism.

Re: Re: Bush losing ground on War on Terror approval

melon said:

Melon

I don't think Bush has enough intelligence to even know what pander means. Pander Bear?

more good news from the Bush Administration

Among the techniques that Rumsfeld approved on Dec. 2, 2002, in addition to that one, the yelling and the stress positions:

Use of 20-hour interrogations.

Removal of all comfort items, including religious items.

Removal of clothing.

Using detainees' "individual phobias such as fear of dogs to induce stress."

Why do so many posts seem to be based upon the equation "Bush = Evil"?

The truth is that both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are just fallible human beings and not devils incarnate as some would have us believe.

We could all learn something from the fact that Bono has managed to become friends with and find some good in both men instead of choosing to view them as one-dimensional boogie men bent on destroying society and/or the world.

TheFirstBigW said:

This is the MAIN equation for FYM. It is more important than any equation the Einstein invented.:wink:

Dreadsox said:
This is the MAIN equation for FYM. It is more important than any equation the Einstein invented.:wink:

That's because Bush invented it. You know, the Good vs. Evil thing. When you're not Good, you're Evil. Since many disagree with Bush's actions, they conclude Bush is not Good. Thus, he must be Evil.

Simple, innit, when it's all black or white. :wink:

C ya!

Marty (who consideres Einstein not to be Evil, thus he was a Good man)

Popmartijn said:

That's because Bush invented it. You know, the Good vs. Evil thing. When you're not Good, you're Evil. Since many disagree with Bush's actions, they conclude Bush is not Good. Thus, he must be Evil.

Simple, innit, when it's all black or white. :wink:

C ya!

Marty (who consideres Einstein not to be Evil, thus he was a Good man)

:wink: Excellent post!

Luckily you've removed your :mac: sig, otherwise I had to conclude you're Evil too. Now you're still a Good man.

:p

TheFirstBigW said:

The truth is that both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are just fallible human beings and not devils incarnate as some would have us believe.

We could all learn something from the fact that Bono has managed to become friends with and find some good in both men instead of choosing to view them as one-dimensional boogie men bent on destroying society and/or the world.

Good post, I agree. While I am not a Bush supporter and will be voting for Kerry in November, I don't view him as some Evil Plotter or whatever. I don't agree with his agenda, and I think he's made some serious mistakes. I think it's to his credit that he was willing to talk with Bono. That was definitely not a mistake.

Published on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 by the Independent/UK
Bush Feels the Heat: US Voters Turn on Him Over Iraq
by Rupert Cornwell in Washington

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0623-06.htm

President George Bush's bid for re-election is stalling as a result of the turmoil in Iraq, according to the results of an opinion poll that shows he has fallen behind in the race for the White House.
A similar majority disapproves of Mr Bush's job performance. Although more than four months remain until the election on 2 November, not since Harry Truman in 1948 has an incumbent president has been so low in the polls at this stage and still won a second term.

Back
Top Bottom