Bush Is Fit, But What About His Policy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Sure kids can exercise and be active outside of school..but shouldn't he do the best he can to encourage fitness other than his own? And how does he have all that time to workout anyway? :wink:

WASHINGTON, Aug. 1 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following is a fact sheet released today by the Democratic National Committee:

The White House this weekend announced that President Bush received good news during his annual physical. Doctors pronounced the President to be in "superior" physical condition, which media reports attributed to his rigorous, six day a week exercise routine. While President Bush has made physical fitness a personal priority, his cuts to education funding have forced schools to roll back physical education classes and his Administration's efforts to undermine Title IX sports programs have threatened thousands of women's college sports programs.

"President Bush's has dropped the ball when it comes to fully funding physical education in public schools and women's athletic programs at the college level," said Democratic National Committee spokesman Josh Earnest. "His personal habits indicate that physical fitness is not just fun and games for him. Don't our kids deserve the same opportunities to be physically fit? President Bush should stop running from his responsibility and make sure that all American children have access to physical fitness programs."

BUSH IN SUPERIOR HEALTH, BUT AMERICA'S YOUTH NOT

Doctors gave President Bush a clean bill of health in his annual checkup this weekend and White House spokesperson Dana Perino proclaimed him to be "in superior health." However, America's youth are not so lucky. While obesity has been declared an epidemic in this country, Bush's education policy is putting children at risk with cuts in physical education and school athletic programs.

BUSH CUTTING PHYSICAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS

Bush's 2006 Budget Cut Physical Education By 25 Percent. Bush's 2006 budget request cut physical education funding for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade by $18.4 million. The 2006 cut is the "first year of a 2-year phase out of the program in order to redirect resources to higher-priority activities" according to the Department of Education. (U.S. Department of Education)

School Systems Nationwide Forced To Implement Pay-To-Play Athletic Programs. USA Today surveyed state high school sports associations and found 34 states in which associations say at least some school districts are charging students to play sports. Pay-to-play fees have cropped up or ballooned at schools in Alaska, Ohio, Massachusetts, Michigan, Kansas and other states. The fees grew from $75 to $250 in one Massachusetts school district two years ago. (Indianapolis Star, 5/2/05; USA Today, 7/30/04)

BUSH ROLLING BACK ATHLETIC OPPORTUNITIES FOR WOMEN

Bush Weakened Title IX Rules. The Bush Administration's Education Department quietly issued a new clarification of the regulations interpreting Title IX. The new rules allow colleges to demonstrate that they are satisfying the demand for women's sports with an online survey showing that female students have no unmet sports interests. Even if the non-response rate is high in the survey, non-response is to be interpreted as a lack of interest according to the Education Department. (New York Times, 3/23/05)

NCAA President Says Rules Could "Reverse the Progress Made Over the Last Three Decades." "NCAA President Myles Brand joined in condemning the guidelines, saying they could 'reverse the progress made over the last three decades.' He added his disappointment that officials issued the clarification 'without benefit of public discussion and input.'" (Los Angeles Times, 3/23/05)

Bush Recommended Undermining Title IX Rules In 2002 As Well. In June 2002, Bush's Education Secretary Roderick Paige created the Commission on Opportunity in Athletics to review Title IX, the federal law that has expanded athletic opportunities for women and girls for 30 years by barring sexual discrimination. This January the commission came back with recommendations that would ease the regulations of Title IX. A statement by the National Women's Law Center opposed the Bush Commission's proposals, "Some have characterized the Commission's long list of proposed changes as minor and moderate. Nothing could be further from the truth. Make no mistake about it. If accepted by the Bush Administration, the Commission's proposals would dramatically reduce the sports participation opportunities and scholarships to which women and girls are entitled under the law." (Washington Post, 6/27/02; New York Times, 1/31/03; NWLC Statement, 2/5/03, http://www.nwlc.org)

CHILDHOOD OBESITY SKYROCKETING

The Rate Of Childhood Obesity Has Skyrocketed In Recent Years. The rate of childhood obesity has skyrocketed in recent years, and more than 9 million children over age 6 are now considered overweight. The rapid rise has alarmed public health experts, because overweight children are far more likely to develop health problems. Currently, the U.S. government estimates that 30 percent of the nation's kids are overweight or on their way to being too heavy. Nearly twice as many children and three times as many teens are overweight now compared to two decades ago. (Washington Post, 10/1/04; USA Today, 6/4/04; Greensboro News & Record, 3/21/04)

http://www.usnewswire.com/

I don't feel like getting into the Title IX debate, but as for kids' physical fitness, I think that before anything else, this is the responsibility of the parents to make sure their children practice healthy lifestyles.

Its not just being in school without PE that will make kids obese. Its going home and drinking cola and sitting on their asses in front on the x-box with a bag of doritos unitl its time to go to bed.
Its going to mcdonalds all the time instead of eating something healthy.
Its being taught that theres actual consequences to eating certain things in large quantities
:shrug:

financeguy said:
Car dependency is also a factor.

Definitely. When I started school 16 years ago (I'm 20 now), I walked 20 mins there and 20 mins back every day...not a big deal, but plenty of exercise for a 4/5 year old. That wasn't even that long ago!

u2bonogirl said:
Its not just being in school without PE that will make kids obese. Its going home and drinking cola and sitting on their asses in front on the x-box with a bag of doritos unitl its time to go to bed.
Its being taught that theres actual consequences to eating certain things in large quantities
:shrug:

Of course all that is true, but that wouldn't allow Democrats to take potshots at Bush :wink:

Actually I think sports in high school should be paid for w/ fees, when I was in HS there were no such fees. I was there to learn and resented the special treatment the athletes received. I think sports outside of PE are a privilege not a right, and I think money is better spent on other things.

I always had to pay for sports, and there were special deals for people with a smaller income.
Its definitely really sad that sports are being cut. I saw it happen where I went to school, and its still happening. But its not necessarily going to make kids fat, but it is going to give them more time to get into trouble :rolleyes:

Child obesity....yet another problem that Bush is responsible for.

Kids are fat due to inactivity and eating a steady diet of junk food.

Kudos to Bush for taking care of his body. The 50% of americans who are overweight could learn something from him.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Actually I think sports in high school should be paid for w/ fees, when I was in HS there were no such fees. I was there to learn and resented the special treatment the athletes received. I think sports outside of PE are a privilege not a right, and I think money is better spent on other things.

I agree, as long as it's all or nothing. I did gymnastics which of course isn't a huge spectator sport and the school didn't really care much about us. They paid the coaches and gave us our chalk, med kit, and tape (after we had to whine and beg), but never wanted to get appropriate warm-ups and leotards. Unlike other sports attire, a leotard HAS to fit. Seriously, it's .2 any time your leo "distracts" form your routine or has to be adjusted. So as a 14 year old, I had to come up with $60 just for my leotard. We did a fundraiser without telling the school, b/c there was a rule against fundraising for athletic teams (and yet they wouldn't provide our outfits). Of course ALL the money went into football and basketball :rolleyes:

Yes, but there has to be some sense of responsibility placed on the president. Not every family is functional enough to have this happen. It's been a while since I've been in grade and middle school - so I'm not sure if things have changed since then - but Bush should design a program that educates kids on the importance of physical health. Having a McD's everywhere doesn't help either.

ShimmeringStar said:

Yes, but there has to be some sense of responsibility placed on the president. Not every family is functional enough to have this happen.

Sorry, but if the family isn't functional enough to take care of it's own children, how is that Bush's fault? IMO it's the parents responsibility, bottom line. Sure, what Bush says and does is often discouraging, but do you really want HIM writing Phys Ed lesson plans instead of focusing slightly more pressing issues like economics and foreign affairs? McDs and be wherever they want as long as they run their business within the law. No one forces people to eat their food and sit around all day, but too often it's parents that allow this to happen.

Even if it is ultimately up to a family to teach a child a healthy lifestyle I still think PE is an important part of a child's education. Illinois has a mandatory 4 year PE requirement for high school students and I think it's great. It may be the only 40-50 minutes of activity some kids get a day. I am all for PE being made mandatory.

As far as paying fees to play sports, I don't know about that. I swam in high school and never had to pay a fee to the school. Yes, we had to pay for our own swim suits($60-$70), caps ($2-$5), goggles($6-$20), etc but it was never a big deal. We were just expected to since we didn't bring any money in like football and basketball. (side note: the best year ever was when our pool's plumbing was leaking and it flooded the football field. :evil: ) If it came down to a sport being cut or paying a fee, of course I'd vote for the fee. A lot more than exercise can be gained from participating in a sport.

I think everybody here agrees on the responsibilities parents have. However, schools also have the responsibility to prepare children for life and with obesity or even "normal" overweight being such a huge problem, I really can't see how anyone can deny the necessity of Physical Education.

I mean what are we talking about here? A measly 18,4 million dollar, what's that on the US budget? I bet they spend more a year on toilet paper in the Pentagon alone. It's really amazing, for every problem this guy Bush seems to have a policy to make it even worse. It's insane, it really is! :mad:

DrTeeth said:
I think everybody here agrees on the responsibilities parents have. However, schools also have the responsibility to prepare children for life and with obesity or even "normal" overweight being such a huge problem, I really can't see how anyone can deny the necessity of Physical Education.

I could not agree more. :yes: ( and not just b/c I'm a teacher :wink: )

MaxFisher said:

Kudos to Bush for taking care of his body. The 50% of americans who are overweight could learn something from him.

:up:

As much as I hate Bush, why would you blame him for obesity???

Americans like driving way too much. They do not walk enough. And that, together with the amount of junk food, makes Americans one of the most obese population in the world.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
PE and health have always been a part of school, it's just as essential as reading, writing, and arithmetic.

although you wouldn't know it judging by the lunches offered in school cafeterias.

MaxFisher said:

Eventhough I just can't stand Bush, I do agree with your statement. Good health starts at home and parents are allowing kids to eat too much junk and in a lot of cases, are not setting a good example for good health. I teach and kids are getting bigger and bigger every year and these big kids have big parents. I just dont have any sympathy for it! Eat right and join a gym.

bush_lindsey_imail_12_21_2001.jpg

August 15, 2005

Sweating Your Way to the Inner Circle

The Economist reviews President Bush's exercise habits and concludes "enthusiasm for sport can be a ticket to Mr Bush's inner circle." For example, Condoleeza Rice "works out with the president and spends time at Camp David watching baseball and football on television."

But "a poor physique can test the president's patience. When Mr Bush sacked Larry Lindsey, his portly economic adviser during his first term, he apparently complained in private about his failure to exercise."

Back
Top Bottom