Bush Doesn't Realize Gas Could Reach $4 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

No, they'll change their driving habits when we depopulate the non-urban areas of the country--i.e., most of the U.S. Beyond that, driving is a requirement.

Hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric cars will become more common and serve as a driving solution for many suburban areas. Toyota is introducing a plug in hybrid in 2010, and there are already many prototypes out there from various companies. Upgrades to electric grids and more solar/wind will be needed in many areas, along with advances in battery technology.

hardyharhar said:

Must feel great to have a portfolio filled with crude. Maybe after coughing up 10 grand for our health insurance, we'll have a few dollars left to start a portfolio :lol: Then we can go ka-ching too, while raping mother earth :up:

Eh, my statement about oil as an investment didn't come across as I meant. I realize plenty of folks can't afford to pay for winter heating oil, much less save for retirement. But the $1.75 gallon days are gone.

On the reporter asking Bush about $4.00 gasoline. Of course Bush gave a terrible, embarrassing answer. But I'm not sure what sort of advice the president could have given to people feeling the squeeze. The White House doesn't control the world oil market or speculators. Green energy is the answer long term, but that's not going to help much right now. Granted the Bush Administration hasn't led a green revolution in the last seven years.

Bluer White said:

Of course Bush gave a terrible, embarrassing answer.

i mean this as a broad point (and to preface, i think your post was thoughtful):

but when does Bush not give an answer that's nearly always terrible and embarrassing? no matter the topic? is there anything he's gotten right? when he's not scripted -- which is rare -- he's shockingly inept and ill-informed.

i mean this honestly. has there been a more deaf, dumb, and blind president ever?

Is this guy serious????? What kind of President or even leader acts like this???????? This has gone just too far. It is OBVIOUS that he doesn't give a shit about how he appears to the public since this is his last term. I can't wait for the day where another superpower comes ahead of America. I really can't. That is when all the Bush lovers and Bush himself will realize that he and they are all pieces of shit. Fuckin ridiculous. We have idiots like Sean Hannity on our TV stations constantly bashing Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton and it seems like everyone has forgot about that monkey in the White House.

And yes, we are going into a recession, no matter how short it will be, and oil is making it worse. I miss Bill Clinton.

What does Bush give a rat's ass about oil prices or the cost of a gallon of gas his fellow Americans are paying at the pump since he doesn't pump his own gas or have to shell out money for gas? Great job the guy did f'ing up the country and economy, counting the days till he's out of the Oval Office that's for sure!

so long as the focus remains on keeping petrol prices relatively low (and i do mean relatively), no real efforts will be made to providing environmentally friendly alternatives.

i sound like a broken record.

but does this not concern anyone?

Zoomerang96 said:
so long as the focus remains on keeping petrol prices relatively low (and i do mean relatively), no real efforts will be made to providing environmentally friendly alternatives.

i sound like a broken record.

but does this not concern anyone?

Nowadays, cars seem to be more about image than about getting from A to B in a sensible manner. I understand that in large countries, people rely more on cars than in small countries like mine, but does one really need a 5.6 Litre V8 to drive the kids to school?

DrTeeth said:

..but does one really need a 5.6 Litre V8 to drive the kids to school?

meet the Ford Orgasm (marketed as a Typhoon, but whatev.)
:angry:

FPVTyphoon2006-3.jpg

:drool:

Yours smells, has drunks vomiting in/on it, breaks down (is probably dysfunctional), runs late (so late that sometimes it is mistaken for early), and is full of strangers.

And besides, have you LOOKED under the bonnet of one of these V8s? Let me redfine 'bigger' for you, toothy!
:flirt:

Granted, in the train you may be surrounded by dickheads, but at least you don't look like one :D

^^He gets the award.

The $4 gallon is old news north of the border. What I don't get is Canada is one of the world leaders in oil production and we pay way more than the US for petrol - economic stuff I obviously don't understand. A shed-load more and the $C right now is worth more than the US$ and has been near par with each other for half a year.

Here is what Canada pays for a US gallon in US dollars(as Canada uses the litre) in comparison to the States.

ch.gaschart

TIMES/BLOOMBERG POLL

75% blame Bush's policies for deteriorating economy

The figure includes large numbers of dissatisfied Republicans and represents a sharp increase in pessimism over the last year. Higher fuel prices have sharpened the criticism.
By Maura Reynolds
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 26, 2008

WASHINGTON — Three out of four Americans, including large numbers of Republicans, blame President Bush's economic policies for making the country worse off during the last eight years, according to a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll released Wednesday, reflecting a sharp increase in public pessimism during the last year.

Nine percent of respondents said the country's economic condition had improved since Bush became president, compared with 75% who said conditions had worsened. Among Republicans, 42% said the country was worse off, while 26% said it was about the same, and 22% thought economic conditions had improved.

Phillip Thies, a registered Republican and clothing-store owner in Cedar, Mich., who was one of those polled, said the president was doing an able job through the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks but "right after that, it was steadily, steadily downhill."

"There has been a lack of leadership and a lack of timeliness of leadership, of not being conscious of the magnitude of the problems," Thies said of Bush in a follow-up interview. "He's always a day late and a dollar short."

Said Lois Coleman, 84, of Floyds Knobs, Ind., who described herself as an independent, "I'm not as well off as I was before he was president and that pertains to all my friends, too, everyone I know."

Economic pessimism has deepened sharply in the last year, intensified by higher fuel prices, the poll found. When the question was asked in March 2007, 24% of respondents said Bush's policies had improved the nation's economy and 46% said they had made it worse.

The increased unhappiness is reflected in an all-time low in Bush's approval rating -- just 23% now, compared with 34% in February.

"It is no surprise that Americans are feeling very pessimistic about the economy -- with rising gas and oil prices and food prices affecting their pocketbooks," said Times Poll Director Susan Pinkus.

"They don't see an end to the rise in prices. . . . Americans blame the president, along with the oil companies, for not having done enough to stem the tide of rising gas prices."

Seventy percent of respondents said the rising cost of fuel had caused hardship for their families, and the pain appeared to be spread across all income groups: 79% of people with incomes of less than $40,000 a year said the higher prices were a hardship, but so did 55% of respondents with incomes above $100,000.

Scott White, 47, a registered Republican from Saco, Maine, said he had to get public assistance twice last year to pay for home heating oil. He says he expects things to get worse before they get better.

"I'm what I call middle-class poor," said White, who has muscular dystrophy and recently had to stop working because of his disability. "It seems like [President Bush] is not in touch with the American people. . . . I voted for him both elections, but I wouldn't vote for him again."

Asked for their view of the cause of the higher prices, respondents blamed the Bush administration and oil company profits in roughly equal measure -- 29% holding the administration responsible and 25% blaming the oil companies, a spread within the poll's margin of error.

Thirteen percent of those polled said commodities speculators were responsible for the increases; 14% said they were not sure who was at fault.

Amber Guckenberg, a 28-year-old stay-at-home mother in Kalispell, Mont., said she wasn't sure Bush deserved all the blame for rising energy prices, but she wished he had found a way to rein them in.

"We've had to scale back on a lot of things -- not going on camping trips, watching what we buy at the grocery store," Guckenberg said, noting that her monthly heating bills now top $300. "This year my kids probably won't be able to take swimming lessons because I can't afford it."

The poll also suggested that public support for a foreclosure rescue bill had weakened a bit while opposition had strengthened. Only 25% of respondents in a May Times/Bloomberg poll said they opposed government assistance for homeowners, while 36% oppose it now. Just 55% of respondents said they favored such government assistance now, compared with 60% in the May poll.

"I'm totally opposed to government coming to the aid of individuals who made poor decisions," said Thies, the clothing-store owner from Michigan. "It's tough cheese, Charlie."

Though respondents had strong opinions about the economy, they were not sure how to make it better. Asked what the top priority for improving the economy should be, 27% said cutting taxes, 20% said reducing the federal deficit, 13% said funding public programs and 13% said addressing the price of energy.

All together, 82% of respondents said the economy was doing badly, compared with 71% who felt that way when the question was asked in February. And the pessimism has intensified: Fifty percent of respondents said the economy was doing "very badly," compared with 38% in February.

The Times/Bloomberg poll, conducted June 19-23 under Pinkus' supervision, interviewed 1,233 adults nationwide. The poll's margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

ABCNews.com

Is $7 Per Gallon Gas in Our Future?
Goldman Sachs Predicts Oil Rising to $200 a Barrel by Year End
By BIANNA GOLODRYGA and ROBYN KENDLER

June 29, 2008—

It took a little over a year for oil to go from $70 a barrel to $140. OPEC predicted this weekend it could hit $170 by the end of the summer, and Goldman Sachs predicts $200 a barrel by year end. So, what will the world look like at $200 a barrel?

The answer is not very pretty. Christopher Knittel, an economist at the University of California, Davis, says, "the transition from cheap oil to expensive oil is going to be painful for many. We're going to see large changes in our infrastructure, our vehicle fleet, the price of food."

Your Car

The price of gas could hit a whopping $7 per gallon, which translates to $120 to fill your average sedan. And even more if you own a sport utility vehicle.

As reported recently by CIBC World Markets chief economist Jeff Rubin, these prices could force 10 million vehicles off U.S. roads over the next four years.

Your Home

Higher gas means you might decide to drive less -- and maybe even reconsider where you live.

"We'll probably start seeing pressure to move closer to employers, which typically means closer to cities," conjectures Knittel. "We're going to see pressure of consumers moving back to the cities."

Sprawling suburbs simply may stop sprawling, bringing down home values for owners who live too far from employers. And cities may see an influx of new residents, moving closer to their workplaces to take advantage of public transportation.

Urban areas are already seeing a spike in ridership, and an increase in these numbers may force cities to spend more money on expansion and upkeep.

But the domino effect doesn't end there.

Your Stuff

What about all those toys and gadgets that make up your modern life? Chances are they weren't manufactured close to home, which means the cost of transporting them to you will boost their prices.

"So many of the cheap products that we buy from China -- whose actual physical cost of producing the products are very low -- but the bulk of their products, or the bulk of their price, comes from transportation," says Knittel.

Toys from China, plasma televisions from Korea, and clothes from Taiwan -- their prices could all increase. And those products actually made with oil, such as shaving cream, cosmetics, and crayons -- their prices often follow oil upward.

Your Retirement

But a more pressing concern is your retirement. If you are in or near retirement, you probably planned your future finances based on a world with cheap oil. That financial model may no longer hold.

"It is a new economic world," says Knittel. "The high oil prices are here to stay, and we're going to have to adapt to these high oil prices in terms of decisions, such as vehicle choice, where we live, and the jobs that we take."

They aren't predicting, they are stimulating speculation.
Predictions on the development of the oil price still range from about $120 to $200+.
Nevertheless, I would agree with Mr Knittel, it's unlikely that oil prices will go down considerably again as long as it is our main source of energy.

Back
Top Bottom