Bush documents fake, CBS apologizes - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2004, 09:21 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Anybody remember that Richard Clarke has been proven to be full of crap?

Old 09-22-2004, 10:22 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Are you claiming the documents weren't faked?

And how was Clarke discredited?

Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #48
War Child

Read the 9-11 Commission report.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:49 PM   #49
War Child

Oh also see Joe Wilson
Old 09-22-2004, 10:57 PM   #50
War Child

Just to save you some time on the niger docs:

In the main body of its unanimous report on pre-war intelligence on Iraq, the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence made a startling statement about former Amb. Joe Wilson--whom the CIA sent on a brief trip to Niger in February 2002, and who accused President Bush of lying when the President said in his 2003 State of the Union address that British intelligence indicated Iraq had sought uranium in Africa.

The unanimous report states:
"The former ambassador also told the committee staff that he was the source of a Washington Post article ('CIA Did Not Share Doubt on Iraq Data; Bush Used Report of Uranium Bid,' June 12, 2003) which said, 'among the envoy's conclusions was that the documents may have been forged because "the dates were wrong and the names were wrong"' when he had never seen the CIA reports and had no knowledge of what names and dates were in the reports. The former ambassador said that he may have 'misspoken' to the reporter when he said he concluded the documents were 'forged.' He also said he may have become confused about his own recollections after the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reported in March 2003 that the names and dates on the documents were not correct and may have thought he had seen the names himself."

From the mouth of the source: He may have "misspoken" And he was confused. I'm not sure if I would want to base an argument on a guy who no longer even sticks by his story.

Also:
Six days after the committee released this report, the British determined in their own investigation of pre-war intelligence that their conclusion that Saddam was seeking uranium in Niger was credible. Their intelligence, it turns out, was not based on the forged documents cited by Wilson that purported to show an Iraq-Niger uranium deal. More interestingly, those forged documents, the Senate Intelligence Committee reported, did not even come into the hands of the CIA until October 2002, eight months after the agency sent Wilson to Niger.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:50 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant
Just to save you some time on the niger docs:

In the main body of its unanimous report on pre-war intelligence on Iraq, the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence made a startling statement about former Amb. Joe Wilson--whom the CIA sent on a brief trip to Niger in February 2002, and who accused President Bush of lying when the President said in his 2003 State of the Union address that British intelligence indicated Iraq had sought uranium in Africa.

The unanimous report states:
"The former ambassador also told the committee staff that he was the source of a Washington Post article ('CIA Did Not Share Doubt on Iraq Data; Bush Used Report of Uranium Bid,' June 12, 2003) which said, 'among the envoy's conclusions was that the documents may have been forged because "the dates were wrong and the names were wrong"' when he had never seen the CIA reports and had no knowledge of what names and dates were in the reports. The former ambassador said that he may have 'misspoken' to the reporter when he said he concluded the documents were 'forged.' He also said he may have become confused about his own recollections after the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reported in March 2003 that the names and dates on the documents were not correct and may have thought he had seen the names himself."

From the mouth of the source: He may have "misspoken" And he was confused. I'm not sure if I would want to base an argument on a guy who no longer even sticks by his story.

Also:
Six days after the committee released this report, the British determined in their own investigation of pre-war intelligence that their conclusion that Saddam was seeking uranium in Niger was credible. Their intelligence, it turns out, was not based on the forged documents cited by Wilson that purported to show an Iraq-Niger uranium deal. More interestingly, those forged documents, the Senate Intelligence Committee reported, did not even come into the hands of the CIA until October 2002, eight months after the agency sent Wilson to Niger.

Reprinting falsehoods and lies does not
change the truth.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:23 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:39 AM
What are you talking about, the fraudulent documents were not the ones used by the British and Italians in their estimates. There was solid evidence of Iraqi government officials going to Niger to discuss expanding their "business relationship". All the while Joe Wilson was getting his wife to get him an assignment to go out to a hotel and spend his time sipping cool green tea.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:39 AM   #53
War Child

Falsehoods and lies? By the Sentate intellegence committee? Who are we supposed to trust then? The New York Times?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:04 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Veteran CBS News Anchor Dan Rather to Resign

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Veteran newsman Dan Rather, embroiled in a recent journalism scandal about President Bush's service in the National Guard during the Vietnam War, will resign in March as the CBS network's top news anchor, the network said on Tuesday.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:39 PM
Well he is getting pretty old.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 PM
This doesn't surprise me. It's unfortunate that a great career was ended by such a massive screw-up.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:47 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Can CBS at least attempt to be fair? Can they please report news instead of politics? Well... to answer my own question, it IS the Barbara Streisand channel.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:28 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

"Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

Quote:
CBS News anchor Dan Rather, renowned for his unusual expressions and sayings, has led a colorful life. However, one bizarre event really takes the cake.

One night in October 1986, Rather was walking down a Manhattan street when he was punched from behind and thrown to the ground. His assailant kicked and beat him while repeating, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

No one could explain the event, and the rumors flew fast and wide. Some speculated the assailant was a KGB agent, while others claimed the attack was the work of a jealous husband. Rather himself couldn't shed any light on the subject. His explanation at the time?

I got mugged. Who understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and why, but I have no idea.

Apparently the strange event moved R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe, who said of the incident:

It remains the premier unsolved American surrealist act of the 20th century. It's a misunderstanding that was scarily random, media hyped and just plain bizarre.

The attack inspired the 1994 R.E.M. hit "What's the Frequency, Kenneth." Being a good sport, Dan Rather even accompanied the band when they performed the song on a Late Show with David Letterman appearance.

In 1997, based on a tip from a psychiatrist, Rather's attacker was identified as William Tager. According to the psychiatrist, Tager, who was currently serving time for killing an NBC stagehand, blamed news media for beaming signals into his head, and thought if he could just find out the correct frequency, he could block those signals that were constantly assailing him. Hence the enigmatic inquiry.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:37 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:39 PM
but who is kenneth?
Old 11-23-2004, 06:45 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

it remains unclear why the attacker addressed Rather by the wrong moniker