Bush Claims Power To Open Mail Without A Warrant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CTU2fan said:
In college I wrote to several left-wing political organizations.... and when I got stuff back it had invariably been opened.

Or just maybe it was that way before it even left the building???
Let's open the envelopes and reseal them before mailing :wink:
What a way to keep the paranoids united???
No one ever opens and checks our mail, just the government.
It's a slippery slope out there people. Ya just never know......

BorderGirl said:

Does anyone believe there is never a reason to intercept mail? Just asking.

"The Dec. 20 signing statement said the president had the power to check mail "in a manner consistent, to the maximum extent permissible, with the need to conduct searches in exigent circumstances, such as to protect human life and safety against hazardous materials, and the need for physical searches specifically authorized by law for foreign intelligence collection."

source: abcnews.go.com

The scanning for explosives and physical materials - yes. But targeting "suspicious" people and snooping for intelligence - absolutely not. Get a valid warrant and obtain these documents as part of a legal search and seizure.

It all seems a bit "fuzzy" to me :hmm: Gee must be just a coincidence, all those signing statements he's issued.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16472777/

The signing statement raises serious questions whether he is authorizing opening of mail contrary to the Constitution and to laws enacted by Congress,” said Ann Beeson, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union. “What is the purpose of the signing statement if it isn’t that?”

She said the group is planning to file request for information on how this exception will be used and also asking whether it has already been used to open mail.

Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., also criticized Bush’s action.

“Every American wants foolproof protection against terrorism. But history has shown it can and should be done within the confines of the Constitution. This last-minute, irregular and unauthorized reinterpretation of a duly passed law is the exact type of maneuver that voters so resoundingly rejected in November,” Schumer said.

The ACLU’s Beeson noted that there has been an exception allowing postal inspectors to open items they believe might contain a bomb.

“His signing statement uses language that’s broader than that exception,” she said.

Bush uses the phrase “exigent circumstances”: “The question is what does that mean and why has he suddenly putting this in writing if this isn’t a change in policy,” Beeson said.

In addition to suspecting a bomb or getting a warrant, the law allows postal officials to open letters that can’t be delivered as addressed — but only to determine if they can find a correct address or a return address.

Bush has issued at least 750 signing statements during his presidency, more than all other presidents combined, according to the American Bar Association.

Typically, presidents have used signing statements for such purposes as instructing executive agencies how to carry out new laws.

Bush’s statements often reserve the right to revise, interpret or disregard laws on national security and constitutional grounds.

“That non-veto hamstrings Congress because Congress cannot respond to a signing statement,” ABA president Michael Greco has said. The practice, he added, “is harming the separation of powers.”

Presidential vetos;

FDR -- 635
Truman -- 250
Eisenhower -- 181
Kennedy -- 21
Johnson -- 30
Nixon -- 43
Ford -- 66
Carter -- 31
Reagan -- 78
Bush I -- 44
Clinton -- 37
Bush II -- 1

Maybe the Huffington Post is exaggerating a wee bit when it says Bush is "arrogating" power for himself or "jamming" things down Congress's throat.

How many signing statements did Clinton make?

How many had to do with privacy rights?

I Googled it

Clinton- 140 over 8 years

Bush Sr - 232 in 4 years

It's not the number, it's the manner in which it is used and the reasons for it. I think it's just more of GWB using terrorism to justify intrusion into privacy.

Last edited:
Conservatives have argued for a presidential line item veto for 25 years which might cut down on these signing statements.

Anyway, you now have Pelosi & Co to rein in Mr. Bush.

INDY500 said:
Conservatives have argued for a presidential line item veto for 25 years which might cut down on these signing statements.

Maybe true conservatives, but those hardly exist anymore. True conservatives are rolling in their graves at what the neo-cons have done to their name.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Maybe true conservatives, but those hardly exist anymore. True conservatives are rolling in their graves at what the neo-cons have done to their name.

Well, I'd like to think we still exist, but yes I agree with you.

In the same way that the liberalism Of JFK (lower taxes, the use of the military to spread liberty, the essentiality of God to American life and morality), has been jettisoned by the left. In fact, today, they're more identified as conservative ideas aren't they.

INDY500 said:

Well, I'd like to think we still exist, but yes I agree with you.

In the same way that the liberalism Of JFK (lower taxes, the use of the military to spread liberty, the essentiality of God to American life and morality), has been jettisoned by the left. In fact, today, they're more identified as conservative ideas aren't they.

Well not exactly. The beauty of liberalism, is it's always been defined in a way that it can evolve.

God and morality being exclusive to liberalism is a lie you've been sold by your neo-con buddies. Something I always thought you were a little bit too smart to fall for.:|

Well not exactly. The beauty of liberalism, is it's always been defined in a way that it can evolve.

Evolve! What does it say about your principles and dogma if you admit they are in constant flux?

God and morality being exclusive to liberalism is a lie you've been sold by your neo-con buddies

You lost me here, is exclusive the word you wanted?

INDY500 said:

Evolve! What does it say about your principles and dogma if you admit they are in constant flux?
If you kept your ancestors views and principles about slavery, women's rights, or race where would you be? It's the reason our constitution has the ability to be ammended, our forefathers weren't arrogant enough to think they had it right the first time.

INDY500 said:

You lost me here, is exclusive the word you wanted?

I meant that liberalism and God have to be contradicting; it's a lie.

I meant that liberalism and God have to be contradicting; it's a lie.
Clearly some on the Left are attempting to drive God out of the public square. Which is not the liberalism of JFK.

If you kept your ancestors views and principles about slavery, women's rights, or race where would you be? It's the reason our constitution has the ability to be ammended, our forefathers weren't arrogant enough to think they had it right the first time.

Righting wrongs is commendable. Replacing good ideas with better ones in a move towards an ideal (using your example; "that all men are created equal") I'd call progress more than evolution.

But I fear modern liberalism doesn't so much evolve as it does float. Floats to wherever the moral current of the day takes it because it rejects absolutes and overarching truths in favor of pragmatism and utopianism.

Anyway, I'll get in trouble for derailing the thread if we continue so I'll give you the last post.

INDY500 said:
Presidential vetos;

FDR -- 635
Truman -- 250
Eisenhower -- 181
Kennedy -- 21
Johnson -- 30
Nixon -- 43
Ford -- 66
Carter -- 31
Reagan -- 78
Bush I -- 44
Clinton -- 37
Bush II -- 1

Maybe the Huffington Post is exaggerating a wee bit when it says Bush is "arrogating" power for himself or "jamming" things down Congress's throat.

What was Bush going to veto when he had a rubber stamp Republican Congress the entire time he was President?? Well, until yesterday.

Hardly a situation comparable to Clinton post-94.

anitram said:

What was Bush going to veto when he had a rubber stamp Republican Congress the entire time he was President?? Well, until yesterday.

Hardly a situation comparable to Clinton post-94.

Yes, it's these obvious oversights by the right that crack me up...

Back
Top Bottom