Bush Calls Rove Turd Blossom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
in Doonesbury

(I've started three threads in here today :lock: )

I can't believe they edited or pulled that :rolleyes:

I really can picture Bush using that phrase though..

Some papers pooh-pooh 'Doonesbury' strip

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — About a dozen newspapers have objected to use of toilet humor in Tuesday's and Wednesday's "Doonesbury" comic strip, and some either pulled or edited the strip.

Kansas City-based Universal Press Syndicate, which distributes the strip to around 1,400 newspapers, said it had received some complaints from editors about a reference to presidential aide Karl Rove.

In the strip, a caricature of President Bush refers to Rove as "turd blossom."

Lee Salem, editor at Universal Press, said the complaints, from 10 to 12 newspapers, weren't unexpected, given the concerns many editors have about language in the funny papers. But as opposed to other times when editors have objected to Doonesbury content, the syndicate did not send out replacement strips.

"Given the coverage of Karl Rove, we thought it was appropriate, especially given the history of the strip," Salem said.

Among those with concerns was the Providence (R.I.) Journal. There, editors simply removed the offensive word from the strip's final panel.

"I didn't think (taking out the word) hurt it," Executive Editor Joel Rawson said. "I would prefer to run the strip and if we can edit it, that's fine."

Rawson said the paper would take the same approach with Wednesday's strip.

db050726.gif

I don't see any caricature of Bush

I love Google

"He maintained a close buddyship with the future president Junior, however. In a high point of Time Magazine's history of powerful journalistic coverage, a 2001 report revealed that George W. Bush's pet name for Rove is "Turd Blossom." No, really"

This makes the newspapers look all the more ridiculous, shouldn't they have known that? Or is it just the word turd that is the issue? :rolleyes:

Is Doonesbury in your newspaper's comics section or shunted off in a back portion of the paper? To be fair, it is there with the Mallard Fillmore cartoon. Well, at least they're there. I'm not too offended by the Mallord one. It's kind of like a drawing of Sean Hannity. Lightweight. Course, Doonesbury's getting pretty boring too. I miss the edge. To give credit, Bush can be pretty funny--in a frat boy kind of way.

Last edited:
This is one reason people do cartoons, just to get under people's skin. Trudeau is certainly no stranger to attempting to get under someone's skin.

If you take out the "turd blossom" reference, 99 percent of the humor in the strip is lost.

I can't believe those editors didn't know about Rove's nickname! It makes me ashamed to be in the newspaper business.

Back
Top Bottom