BUSH: blows his chance for redemption, at least in this world!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2005, 06:48 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
Well, considering that many of the perpetrators are Muslims working against Christians and animists, wouldn't the Muslim world see his actions as even more evidence that he is at war against Islam?
Not necessarily. In this case the "humanitarian" argument would work quite well

Old 06-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 01:06 PM
So what if they see it as a war against Islam. These fuckers that are trying to exterminate the blacks of the region are nothing but facist Islamics - I would love to see a multinational force go in there and give them a taste of thier own medicine. On the other hand...where are the African troops (Black African troops) - why aren't they coming to the defence of these people???

Old 06-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Seeing as how people view going into Iraq as a failure, to go into Sudan should be opposed by all liberals as well.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
Seeing as how people view going into Iraq as a failure, to go into Sudan should be opposed by all liberals as well.
Seeing as how people view going into Iraq as a neccessity, to go into Sudan should be supported by all conservatives as well.

Mr Bush, you should listen to Flying FuManchu's logic.

Using his logic, he says that you have to go into Sudan because you went to Iraq.

I think things are more complicated than that, but that's silly me.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:06 AM
The US is not able to go into Sudan alone, this is a combination of factors from Iraq and overextension to it's last major humanitarian intervention in the region. Then there are the domestic concerns; the US public may not be willing to go along with such an intervention.

The UN is not going to be able to do a thing, it does not function effectively and the security council members have a vested interest in keeping good relations up with the Sudanese government for it's lucrative fossil fuel contracts.

People are going to continue to die and at the end of the slaughter the world will ask itself why, then go on to forget until the next genocide can come around and they can pontificate at their multilateral meetings and draft resolutions.

Sanctions will not stop a country with a policy of rape and murder, millitary force will. Given that no western power has any interest in going in then the best that can be hoped for is an augmented African force. Getting the French, Chinese and Russians on board for a resolution that allows enforcers to go into the country is the only way for anything to happen. I suspect that the US and some European nations would be able to lend a hand.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:34 AM   #21
Refugee

bush blows (and) dick sucks....um.....
seriously, a couple of things i'd like to point out:
1) Bush is friends with the Saudia Arabia....not the arabs who live in the country but the royal family who happen to be saudiese (sp?)...there is a huge difference between being arab and be saudiense (fuck all these weird nations...i sound like bush trying to pronouce all this)
2) as much as i detest Bush, i agree that it's not just his fault...the EU once again has failed to do anything substantial...and the UN has blown it here too
3) where the greatest fault lies though, the Arab world. Listen, I'm very liberal, and I oppose Bush's war in the middle-east and his plan to redesign the area, but Arab nations should be expressing outrage over the atrocities. Brand Arab (as Bono would say) could sure use a nice PR campaign, and here's an opportunity.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:16 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:06 AM
"Brand Arab" seems more content with breeding a seething hatred of Jews and paranoid conspiracy theories than putting a stop to those who murder out of (possibly) misguided faith; attitudes that go a long way in keeping kleptocratic leaders in charge and keeping those who hold aspirations for fair democratic process locked away in dungeons or in shallow graves as traitors. I fail to see the what is liberal about opposing change and opposition in this most illiberal and intollerant region.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #23
Refugee

I do not oppose change - i oppose forced change
Old 06-09-2005, 06:14 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

It's a complicated situation. I opposed the invasion of Iraq, not because I had any love for Saddam, God forbid, but out of fear that any replacement of him might turn into someone too similar. You guys knew that I was just plain pessimistic about democracy in Iraq, but hey, I'd love to be wrong, for the sake of the Iraqi people.