Bush Backtracking on aid - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2002, 04:41 PM   #46
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Sherry-
Youre right Prof. Sachs did say this.
He is an esteemed, wise man.

HOWEVER-
These OTHER countries you mention that give more , can, and should right now. This FACT you are glossing over is..
..these other countries DO NOT have the SAME amount of items/problems.. on their plates as THE USA. (deficits/War on Terror..ect.)
Sachs=

I'm not sure I agree with the rest of your arguement, though. For one, aid to Africa is an important weapon in our fight against terror; but its a long term one, so it takes vision and patience, and it's not very sexy.

Also, there are other countries involved in the war. Not as heavily, since they aren't the primary target (yet), but they are involved, esp. Canada and Britan. (God bless you all, BTW ) And we're hardly the only country with a deficit, to my knowledge.

Finally, "But we're doing enough, they should do it" just plain ole sounds like a lame excuse to me. Everyone always thinks someone else should do it, so no one does. One of the reasons I started this letter writing campaign was because I started listening to my own excuses (someone else will, I've done enough, no one will listen anyway, I'm too busy, I'm too tired right now) and they were really dumb.

Jess, very well said!

SD

Old 07-06-2002, 01:19 AM   #47
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rafmed

Prove he is dead.
Prove he is alive

Quote:
What you imply is that the Bush family is so good at heart that they didn't know who they were dealing with? now they are even dumb? And I didn't expect more from you than the racist comment.Tha shows your class. If you want to know about corruption, check latest big USA coorporations fiascos
Prove that "latest big USA coorporations fiascos have anything to do with George W. Bush. Prove it bro.

No I didn't make a racist comment, you took it wrong. I am not a racist, I hope you are not serious?!?

Quote:
I think I'm smart enough, to eat pretzels, and not choke.
anyone can choke on anything, my incredibly intelligent amigo. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Quote:
The point is that you want to show why people should trust Mr. Bush. Especially since he is the one that apparently lied to Bono, and the people that trusted in the matter we were discussing here.

I hate to say this but Mr. Bush's responsibilites are much more involved than our can understand, or intervene with. Yet Mr. Bush has duly given our the time of day, and sent Paul O'Neill with him and will go himself to Africa next year. Yet we have fault in Mr. Bush. Because he lied? Prove he lied, what was it that he said anyways?

Not really trying to be arguementative with you Rafmed, but I disagree with you.

Old 07-06-2002, 04:12 AM   #48
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Why, thankyou Sherry Darling! I must return the compliment and say I love your nick too, its so glam and reminds me of Ab Fab - Diamonds and champagne...don't ask me why, but I've always thought that
Also, its great what you are doing with the site too. And thanks for the info on what other countries are doing. I figured America couldnt surely be the only country helping, but I just dont hear about it.

And Diamond, that could be another argument for another day, whether America has more on its plate than other places. We dont have terrorism, but we do have some lost refugess wandering around the desert right now, whom I suspect are hiding in Brettig's spare bedroom. He wont admit helping them escape, but I wouldn't put it past him you know.
Old 07-06-2002, 04:19 AM   #49
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:49 PM

There are two things in our spare room- cricket books and a table tennis table!
Old 07-06-2002, 09:47 AM   #50
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Why, thankyou Sherry Darling! I must return the compliment and say I love your nick too, its so glam and reminds me of Ab Fab - Diamonds and champagne...don't ask me why, but I've always thought that
Also, its great what you are doing with the site too. And thanks for the info on what other countries are doing. I figured America couldnt surely be the only country helping, but I just dont hear about it.
Thanks Angela! My nick is from a Springsteen song (hey hey hey, whaddya say, Sherry Darlin....) Thanks for your support, too. We need all hands on deck with this....

SD
Old 07-06-2002, 10:38 AM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge

Not really trying to be arguementative with you Rafmed, but I disagree with you.

fair enough
Old 07-06-2002, 01:42 PM   #52
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:

fair enough
cool
Old 07-07-2002, 02:20 AM   #53
The Fly

Local Time: 11:49 PM

A Zambian AIDS victim eats his midday meal.
Bush Backtracking on AIDS a Slap in the Face for Bono
Old 07-07-2002, 06:46 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

Sachs=

I'm not sure I agree with the rest of your arguement, though. For one, aid to Africa is an important weapon in our fight against terror

SD
Ehh, in what way ? Do you mean as, you do what i want ore you do not get aid ? Ore as , i give you aid to lower the poverty and i hope you will respect me ?
Old 07-07-2002, 08:27 AM   #55
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono

Ehh, in what way ? Do you mean as, you do what i want ore you do not get aid ? Ore as , i give you aid to lower the poverty and i hope you will respect me ?
Right now, the first situation you describe is what exists. The HPICs do X, they get Y. Not entirely sure who the "I" and "you" are in your second sentence, but I think Bono put it esp. well.

You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

SD
Old 07-07-2002, 10:12 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Olive, I just want to make clear that I never, never doubt of Bono honesty, that is the one thing that is more certain. About "photo oportunities", well, check the succes of U2 and Bono in the USA, is easy for a politician to know that he will won more than it would lose hanging with that guy. and if is just one vote, they will go for it. and after the latest developments, it seems they only smiled to Bono while he was there, as soon as he leaved, they changed their minds.
okay i understand.

Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn
Who cares whether Clinton or Bush did more? No more politician bashing.

I have said it before and I will say it again ... this is NOT a partisan issue? It's not an issue defined by borders, religion, or race.

It's a HUMAN issue. If you're human and have some level of compassion in your heart, you will recognize the need to reach out and help your fellow man.
You got it JessicaAnn. The US has the capability to do something revolutionary here for fellow humans. lets hope we can live up to the responsiblities.