Bush & Cheney testify together for 9/11 hearing? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2004, 06:23 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Bush & Cheney testify together for 9/11 hearing?

What do you think?

They don't wanna mix up their answers?

Will they hold hands?

Which is Ken? Which is Barbie?

It's a confidence buster that the president of the US can't speak on his own. He's a small man.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 02:16 PM
I thought it was a bad joke when I heard that they'd be testifying together. Bush twists laws to accomodate his agenda- but worse, he's twisted our country into a shape I don't recognize anymore...

Old 04-04-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:16 PM
it is an interesting move
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
testifying together isn't helpful if you have to find out if somebody says the truth or if they just lie
Old 04-05-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I heard they're planning a Britney/Madonna type stunt

Old 04-06-2004, 03:57 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Its times like these I wish I could use photoshop, or then again maybe not
Old 04-29-2004, 04:01 AM   #7
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
From the NY Times(Opinion):

Quote:
The President's Testimony

It would have been a pleasure to be able to congratulate President Bush on his openness in agreeing to sit down today with the independent commission on the 9/11 attacks and answer questions. Unfortunately, Mr. Bush conditioned his cooperation on stipulations that range from the questionable to the ridiculous.

The strangest of the president's conditions is that he will testify only in concert with Vice President Dick Cheney. The White House has given no sensible reason for why Mr. Bush is unwilling to appear alone. (When asked at his recent press conference, the president gave one of his patented nonresponses: "Because it's a good chance for both of us to answer questions that the 9/11 commission is looking forward to asking us, and I'm looking forward to answering them.")

Given the White House's concern for portraying Mr. Bush as a strong leader, it's remarkable that this critical appearance is being structured in a way that is certain to provide fodder for late-night comedians, who enjoy depicting him as the docile puppet of his vice president.

Mr. Bush's reluctant and restrictive cooperation with the panel is consistent with the administration's pattern of stonewalling reasonable requests for documents and testimony and then giving up only the minimum necessary ground when the dispute becomes public. Today's testimony will be in private in the White House, away from reporters or television cameras. The session will not be recorded, and there will be no formal transcript. The president's aides have defended this excessive degree of secrecy with the usual arguments about protecting highly classified information and not wanting to establish dangerous precedents.

The idea that the panel may wring from Mr. Bush some comment that may endanger national security is ridiculous. The commission, led by the respected former Republican governor of New Jersey, Thomas Kean, has already heard, in public, from the leaders of the nation's top intelligence agencies, the secretary of defense and Mr. Bush's national security adviser. It seems highly unlikely that the president knows secrets more sensitive than they do. If he did, he would certainly be free to go off the record while discussing them.

The president's aides have also been arguing that making the event anything more than a "meeting" or informal discussion would establish a pattern that future chief executives would be forced to follow. That is true, in a way. If Mr. Bush or any of his successors have the tragic misfortune to be in command at a time when terrorists strike the country, killing thousands of innocent civilians, they should be expected to cooperate with the official investigations, and to do so in a way that puts their statements on the record and into history.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:46 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:16 PM
What's interesting about this is that Dubya's administration have chosen they'd rather take criticism in the press for all these ridiculous conditions, rather than risk allowing him to testify on the same grounds as others who have been called to appear before this commission.

The press are most likely going to criticise him for refusing to testify without Cheney there to help him with any difficult questions, and for refusing to allow the public any access to the information he gives today. This could be fairly damaging criticism: he can be painted as too stupid to testify without Cheney there to help him, and people will no doubt be angry that there is to be no public record of this "meeting" and feel that important information is being withheld from them.

So given that they'll inevitably be criticised for the conditions this "meeting" will take place under, they must be absolutely terrified of the criticism they'd face if the just allowed Dubya to testify alone, openly and on the record, just like every other official has done. It's frightening to think that the so-called leader of the free world is such a liability he can't even be allowed to testify in public.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #9
Refugee

FizzingWhizzbees:
right the administration is smart, they think it's more important to have a good looking report on July 26. and the masses won't remember how mr. bush and mr. Cheney hold their hands in front of the commision like barbie and ken.

Of course their behaviour isn't helpful at all to find out the truth, but i think governments prefer to stay in power than to tell their people the truth.

Well they do the best they can, they get training lessons in answering likely questions, they come together so it's no danger that they say different things
I guess G.W.B. answer in his genuine "Dubya-Style", interesting answers which had nothing to do with the question and then Cheney can answer the questions.
But we will never find out because no transcipts will be avail. - of course just because of the national security.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:21 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Spineless
Old 04-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I think people are forgetting what this commission is about. It is not supposed to be a witch-hunt. It is supposed to be about finding out what went wrong and what steps should be taken so that it does not happen again.

I am in the middle of reading my fourth or fifth book about this administration. I think that on the day of September 11th VP Cheney was heavily involved in running the country.

As a former republican, I am disappointed that the President is not testifying alone but I think I understand why based on my readings of the administration. Especially on the day of September 11th, it is clear that VP Cheney was indeed in charge of the nation. That is the impression that I have for that day.

I think he was in communication with the President, however, the White House command Center in DC, where Cheney was, as where decisions were being made.

I do not believe there is anything corrupt about the situation, but it bothers me that they are going in together.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:11 PM   #12
Refugee

Dreadsox:
I agree with you, but i don't want to close my eyes and trust ANY political leader.
So i'm asking myself
"Why can't they testify alone?"
and
"Why no transcript?"

For me the only answer that makes sense:
"They don't want to tell the truth, if they'd tell the truth it would be no problem to testify alone and there would be no reason to hide from the public"

Remember the article quoted above:
Quote:
...It seems highly unlikely that the president knows secrets more sensitive than they do. If he did, he would certainly be free to go off the record while discussing them.
I don't want a witchhount but 9/11 was one of the worst things ever that hapened to the US civilians and i don't see any reason why the public dosn't deserve 100% of the truth.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:28 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I think people are forgetting what this commission is about. It is not supposed to be a witch-hunt. It is supposed to be about finding out what went wrong and what steps should be taken so that it does not happen again.

I am in the middle of reading my fourth or fifth book about this administration. I think that on the day of September 11th VP Cheney was heavily involved in running the country.

As a former republican, I am disappointed that the President is not testifying alone but I think I understand why based on my readings of the administration. Especially on the day of September 11th, it is clear that VP Cheney was indeed in charge of the nation. That is the impression that I have for that day.

I think he was in communication with the President, however, the White House command Center in DC, where Cheney was, as where decisions were being made.

I do not believe there is anything corrupt about the situation, but it bothers me that they are going in together.
I don't want a witchhunt. I believe the two of them should approach and be treated the same way everyone else in the hearings are.

You will never get the full truth when you have two people testifying together. If this hearing really wanted to find out what went wrong and find out what could have been done differently then separate testimonies should be conducted.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #14
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
If this hearing really wanted to find out what went wrong and find out what could have been done differently then separate testimonies should be conducted.
since we are talking politics that almost makes too much sense
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #15
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Dreadsox:
I agree with you, but i don't want to close my eyes and trust ANY political leader.
So i'm asking myself
"Why can't they testify alone?"
and
"Why no transcript?"

For me the only answer that makes sense:
"They don't want to tell the truth, if they'd tell the truth it would be no problem to testify alone and there would be no reason to hide from the public"
Absolutely Klaus.

Bush and Cheney are acting as if they have something to hide, and where there is smoke there is fire. Maybe there is a good reason for it, but it has eluded me.

I sincerely hope there is nothing to hide, that nothing comes from this except better knowledge on how to prevent this from happening again.

Unfortunately, it smells fishy....