Bush & Blair nominated for Nobel Peace Prize - some kind of joke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzingWhizzbees

ONE love, blood, life
Originally posted by cloudimani:
Alas, no the two have been nominated by (unsurprisingly) a member of a far-right Norwegian party (so-called "Progress" party". Sounds just too ridiculous to be true doesnt it? How can a man who single-handedly ordered the decimation of a country in search of a criminal, and the two men whose countries sell the most weapons to the countries they will be bombing tomorrow possibly be worthy of a prize for PEACE? Surely there must be some more deserving candidate?

-Mani

My thoughts exactly. In fact I actual swore loudly at the newspaper when I read that headline.

But let's not forget that Henry Kissinger actually won the Nobel Peace prize. And if that (and today's nomination) isn't the ultimate contradiction, I don't know what is.

Alas, no the two have been nominated by (unsurprisingly) a member of a far-right Norwegian party (so-called "Progress" party". Sounds just too ridiculous to be true doesnt it? How can a man who single-handedly ordered the decimation of a country in search of a criminal, and the two men whose countries sell the most weapons to the countries they will be bombing tomorrow possibly be worthy of a prize for PEACE? Surely there must be some more deserving candidate?

-Mani

------------------
?*~cloudymani~*?

Al Gore invented the Nobel Peace Prize.
Potatoe.
Cigar.
Strategery.
Reagan is old and senile.

That about covers all the bases.

Britain is not one of the two biggest weapons-dealing nations.

As for Blair being nominated, I don't see why not. You forget, while the rest were obsessed with blasting tactical positions, Blair was visiting countries to keep the alliance healthy and promoting anti-terrorist support, his was more of a diplomatic war, so much so he was often called Bush's foreign secretary.

I personally think Blair did a good job, and still continues to do so. I don't see why he shouldn't be nominated.

Ant.

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 02-06-2002).]

Kissinger?

Don't forget: Arafat and Gorbechev also got the prize.

And the nomination of President Bush isn't contradictory in that this war may be the only way to ensure a greater peace for the future.

Or would you prefer more terrorist attacks?

Agreed Bubba.. Arafat won it.. AND HE'S A TERRORIST for god's sake.. Erm... Excuse me .. For ALLAH's Sake..

Seriously, Bush being nominated is no big surprise, and no big contradiction.

And don't you find it funny.. This prize is something that Clinton tried to garner with his horrible attempts at a legacy in the end of his term with his Peace Projects between Israel and Palestine.

L.Unplugged

Yeah, amusing.

Some legacy: apparently, only three Clinton quotes are in Bartlett's famous compilation of quotes.

"I experimented with marijuana a time or two. And I didn't like it, and didn't inhale, and didn't try it again."

"I am going to say this again: I did not have sexual relations with that woman ? Miss Lewinsky."

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the ? if he ? if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not ? that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement."

Heh, heh, heh.

Blair should probably get the Nobel peace prize for his work in northern ireland, were he has engaged in direct dialogue and invited terrorists to his family home for dinner (sic).

And Anthony - Britain are definately in the top few arms sellers in the world, even though they may not be in the "top 2" on the modern listening or classical rock chart.

eek.gif

------------------
"Master of sexual innuendo"

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
And Anthony - Britain are definately in the top few arms sellers in the world, even though they may not be in the "top 2" on the modern listening or classical rock chart.

They might be in the top segment, (though I find that quite dubious) but it isn't within the 'top 2' as it was mentioned earlier in the thread. However, Blair does deserve the prize, methinks.

Ant.

Originally posted by Lemonite:
Agreed Bubba.. Arafat won it.. AND HE'S A TERRORIST for god's sake.. Erm... Excuse me .. For ALLAH's Sake..

Seriously, Bush being nominated is no big surprise, and no big contradiction.

And don't you find it funny.. This prize is something that Clinton tried to garner with his horrible attempts at a legacy in the end of his term with his Peace Projects between Israel and Palestine.

L.Unplugged

Clinton tried something, Bush needs war.And we as christians are beter the moslims. Killing in the name of god, god bless us.

Back
Top Bottom