Bush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
diamond said:
Bush in 2004.
nice post Anne:)

DB9

Thanks Diamond, but Bush in 2004 is NOT anything I'm behind at this point in time. I still differ on a lot of domestic issues and I lean towards peace. I'm very happy he did the right thing for Africa and the AIDS emergency. We'll have to see what happens between now and then and what the Democratic candidate's game plan is.

BostonAnne said:

I still differ on a lot of domestic issues and I lean towards peace. I'm very happy he did the right thing for Africa and the AIDS emergency. We'll have to see what happens between now and then and what the Democratic candidate's game plan is.
Bush is a peaceful man.
Bush is despartely trying to give "Peace A Chance"..
exausting all means. :larry:

db3

diamond said:

Bush is a peaceful man.

db3

I haven't come to that conclusion yet. I don't think he's made his case to America for the need to go to war. Perhaps it will be made to us along with the UN on Feb. 5th.

diamond said:

Bush is a peaceful man.

db3

lmao.

you have to be sarcastic. there is nothing peaceful about that cowboy.

Cow of the Seas said:

lmao.

there is nothing peaceful about that cowboy.

"Cowboy"
Bush challenged by bovines.
By Christopher Hitchens
Posted Monday, January 27, 2003, at 3:49 PM PT
To be reading the European press or visiting a European capital these days is to witness a strenuous competition. The competition, which is easy to enter but not at all easy to win, is to see how many times a person can get the word "cowboy" into an article or a speech. In normal times, an editor would probably limit the usage automatically, if only to avoid the vulgarity of repetition, but this quotidian rule is being relaxed these days. The term can appear any number of times as long as it is affixed to the proper name "Bush."
On its own, the word "cowboy" is not particularly opprobrious. It means a ranch hand or cattle driver, almost by definition a mounted one, herding the steers in the general direction of Cheyenne and thus providing protein on the hoof. The job calls for toughness and has little appeal to the sentimental. A typical cowboy would be laconic, patient, somewhat fatalistic, and prone to spend his wages on brawling and loose gallantry. His first duty is to cattle, and he has to have an eye for weather. Unpolished, but in his way invaluable. A rough job but someone's got to do it. And so forth.
The old children's game of "cowboys and Indians" summarizes the association of the cowboy with the frontier and with the wars on the plains and ranges against the indigenous tribes. Actually, the cutting-edge work here was done with cavalry sabers, pox-blankets, repeating rifles, and other weapons of routine destruction. Yet the word "cavalryman" is as indissoluble from the concept of chivalry as the word "cowboy" is from the notion of the uncouth.
Still a third implication is that of the lone horseman, up against the world with nothing more than his six-shooter and steed and lariat. He might be a stick-up artist and the terror of the stagecoach industry, or he might be a solitary fighter for justice and vindicator of the rights of defenseless females. Henry Kissinger never quite recovered from the heartless mirth he attracted when he told Orianna Fallaci that Americans identified with men like himself?the solitary, gaunt hero astride a white horse (as opposed to the corpulent opportunist academic leaking to the press aboard a taxpayer-funded shuttle).
In England, "cowboy" is often used dismissively to describe a fly-by-night business or a shady or gamey entrepreneur, as well as anybody who, while making more noise and more claims than are good for him, is flaky when it comes to delivering the goods.
Finally, though Wyoming and Montana and other states are rich in lore, the word "cowboy" has a special relationship with the state of Texas, its "lone star" logo, and the name of its Dallas football team. (The laureate of the state and its cattle drives, Larry McMurtry, is oddly enough not considered by right-thinking people to be a hayseed or a gunslinger.) President Bush has played to this strength, if it is a strength, at least three times that I can think of. The first was when he admitted to having been a bit of a cowboy in his youth, in both personal and business terms. The second was when he called for the apprehension of Osama Bin Laden and made a point of stressing the old "Wanted"-poster words: "Dead or Alive." The third was when he was asked about the murder of an Arab-American in Texas after 11 Sept. and remarked rather ominously that the perpetrator had "picked the wrong state" in which to commit this outrage. One could almost see the noose snaking over the limb of the tree ?
Boiled down, then, the use of the word "cowboy" expresses a fixed attitude and an expectation, on the part of non-Texans, about people from Texas. It's a competition between a clich?d mentality (which would of course never dream of regarding itself as clich?d) and a clich? itself. How well?apart from some "with us or with the terrorists" rhetoric?does the president fit the stereotype?
To have had three planeloads of kidnapped civilians crashed into urban centers might have brought out a touch of the cowboy even in Adlai Stevenson. But Bush waited almost five weeks before launching any sort of retaliatory strike. And we have impressive agreement among all sources to the effect that he spent much of that time in consultation. A cowboy surely would have wanted to do something dramatic and impulsive (such as to blow up at least an aspirin-factory in Sudan) in order to beat the chest and show he wasn't to be messed with. But it turns out that refined Parisians are keener on such "unilateral" gestures?putting a bomb onboard the Rainbow Warrior, invading Rwanda on the side of the killers, dispatching French troops to the Ivory Coast without a by-your-leave, building a reactor for Saddam Hussein, and all the rest of it.
In the present case of Iraq, a cowboy would have overruled the numerous wimps and faint hearts who he somehow appointed to his administration and would have evinced loud scorn for the assemblage of sissies and toadies who compose the majority of the United Nations. Instead, Bush has rejoined UNESCO, paid most of the U.S. dues to the United Nations, and returned repeatedly to the podium of the organization in order to recall it to its responsibility for existing resolutions. While every amateur expert knows that weather conditions for an intervention in the gulf will start to turn adverse by the end of next month, he has extended deadline after deadline. He has not commented on the eagerness of the media to print every injunction of caution and misgiving from State Department sources. The Saudis don't want the United States to use the base it built for the protection of "the Kingdom"? Very well, build another one in a state that welcomes the idea. Do the Turks and Jordanians want to have their palms greased before discovering what principles may be at stake? Greased they will be. In a way, this can be described as "a drive to war." But only in a way. It would be as well described as a decided insistence that confrontation with Saddam Hussein is inevitable?a proposition that is relatively hard to dispute from any standpoint. It's true that Bush was somewhat brusque with Chancellor Gerhard Schr?der, but then Schr?der is a man so sensitive that he recently sought an injunction against a London newspaper for printing speculation about his hair color and his notoriously volatile domestic life. What we are really seeing, in this and other tantrums, is not a Texan cowboy on the loose but the even less elevating spectacle of European elites having a cow.

diamond said:

hiphop-
i see u are an indivualist.
i do not see u as a "meelie-mouth"

i would only need a half day w you to de-program you and then you would b on the road to recovery;)

thank u-

DB9

LOL!

Same for me.

We would re program each other. Would be fun.

From CNN.com:

"The certified final results in Miami-Dade were 328,808 votes for Gore and 289,533 for Bush, according to the Florida secretary of state's office. Bush won Florida by a 537-vote margin out of about 6 million votes cast in the state."

Now, how exactly did Bush "steal" the election?!?!?!

An unofficial state recount of all of Florida, which Gore did not request (so it is his fault), gave Gore a few hundred vote lead, which means he would have won Florida, and, hence, the presidential election.

Melon

Surely there are news accounts from the post-election media conducted vote recount. From what I recall, each unofficial recount gave a different result. It all depended on how much of your chad was left hanging?..

That recount did not include thousands of military personals absentee ballots that were never counted! My friend who was stationed in California at the time was one of them. If Florida had counted all of its military absentee ballots, Bush would of won by a larger margin in Florida. Many military personal living overseas or temporarily in other area's of the country, pick Florida as their home state. The vast majority of military personal vote Republican.

Most rational Republicans do not like to discuss the 2000 election.

The best that can be said, is that by some strange fluke a candidate that did not receive the most votes was able to ascent to the Whitehouse.

Few people would disagree that the majority of the registered voters, who went to the polls in Florida on Election Day 2000, went there to vote for Gore.

The constitution first called for electors selecting the Senators, this was changed. The Electoral College should be sent to the dustbin of history also.

deep:

That is an interesting analysis, but I disagree with it.

First, as Sting indicated, numerous military ballots for service personnel registered in Florida were not counted. Second, many votes in the largely conservative panhandle were not recorded, but were not re-counted per the "challenges." I do thik that the majority of Florida voters intended to vote for George W. Bush.

Regarding the "fluke" of the candidate who did not receive the most votes ascending to the White House, let's look back a few weeks earlier, when pundits and pollsters were predicting a Bush popular vote victory but a Gore electoral (Consitutional) vote victory. Then-First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton remarked that if that were the the case, it was according to the Consitution.

~U2Alabama

The electoral college did exactly what it was designed to do, which was prevent one state or region from deciding the election. Bush's narrow popular vote loss was largely due to the severity of his defeat in the state of California, where Gore won by roughly 1.3 million votes.

melon said:
An unofficial state recount of all of Florida...gave Gore a few hundred vote lead, which means he would have won Florida...

Zoocoustic said:
From CNN.com:

"The certified final results...Bush won Florida by a 537-vote margin..."

Unofficial Results vs. Certified Final Results. Hmmmmmmm....

Again I ask: How did Bush "steal" the election? How is it that he is an illegitimate President?

Last edited:
Zoocoustic said:

Unofficial Results vs. Certified Final Results. Hmmmmmmm....

Again I ask: How did Bush "steal" the election? How is it that he is an illegitimate President?
great post zoocoustic.

Back
Top Bottom