Burma or Myanmar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The country is

• Burma

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Myanmar

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
I voted Myanmar because the company I used to work for imported some clothing from there and Myanmar was the official name. Importing clothing from Myanmar was a major pain in the ass, by the way. :mad:

But I like the sound of Burma better.

The U.S. officially calls it "Burma" still; likely a gesture over the fact that they don't support the military government that renamed it "Myanmar" in the first place.

Melon

I honestly don't know the correct answer, but I sometimes refer to Beijing as Peking or Zimbabwe as Rhodesia to piss off overly politically correct leftists.

Mmmmm.....I wonder if I started referring to Northern Ireland as the Six Occupied Counties would people think that I'm an IRA supporter? Anyway, I digress. :wink:

Hmm....well I wouldn't go that far. Maybe I should refer to America as the Former Western Colonies? :wink:

A_Wanderer said:
What do you call it?

a fucking disgrace

"I send my best wishes to Aung San Suu Kyi for her 60th birthday," Bush said. "Her strength, courage, and personal sacrifice in standing up for the oppressed people of Burma have inspired those who stand for freedom."

this is what W really sends

Jun19000.jpg

Prime Minister General Khin Nyunt receives officials of Unocal Myanmar Offshore

YANGON, 18 June — Prime Minister of the Union of Myanmar General Khin Nyunt received Senior Vice-President, Global Marketing, Unocal Corporation, Mr Randy Howard of Unocal Myanmar Offshore Co Ltd and party at Zeyathiri Beikman at 8.30 am today.

Also present at the call were Minister for Foreign Affairs U Win Aung, Minister for Energy Brig-Gen Lun Thi, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs U Khin Maung Win, Director-General of Government Office U Soe Tint and Director-General of Protocol Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Thura U Aung Htet.

The Senior Vice-President of Unocal Myanmar Offshore Co Ltd was accompanied by Chairman of IEO, South East Asia, (Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam) Mr Steve Green and Unocal (Myanmar) President Mr David C Peters.

The weakness of Capitalism; but Unocal has been doing business in Burma since the 80's, how is this Bush's fault?

Back
Top Bottom