Burger King To Allow Breast-Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WildHoneyAlways said:
Why do I need a reason not to like breast feeding? Anyway, perhaps this bothers me so much because I lived in the town where a mother was arrested for breast feeding her 8 year old....
All in all, I just don't like breast feeding and we can leave it at that.:wink:

I think whether it's right to breastfeed an eight year old is completely different question to whether it's okay to breastfeed in public.

That said, while I completely respect your right not to like seeing women breastfeed, that's not a reason to ban it from public places. There are plenty of things I don't *like* but that isn't a reason for me to argue for them to be banned.

And Dread... :applaud: :happy:

WildHoneyAlways said:
Anyway, perhaps this bothers me so much because I lived in the town where a mother was arrested for breast feeding her 8 year old....

All I can think of is the Farrely Brothers... Me, Myself, and Irene

WildHoneyAlways said:
Why do I need a reason not to like breast feeding? Anyway, perhaps this bothers me so much because I lived in the town where a mother was arrested for breast feeding her 8 year old....
All in all, I just don't like breast feeding and we can leave it at that.:wink:

Well, you just haven't given a good reason, that's all. If you believe something, you ought to have a reason, "just 'cos" doesn't really cut it. Maybe you ought to re-evaluate what you believe about breast feeding. It use to freak me out, but now it seems more natural to me than eating a whopper.

Fizzing Whizbies is right, breast feeding an eight year old is a separate issue.

And Dreadsox, I nearly puked from laughing so hard at Me, Myself and Irene. And I appreciate the advice, I reckon it's not too far off. :crazy:

Last edited:
FizzingWhizzbees said:
I think whether it's right to breastfeed an eight year old is completely different question to whether it's okay to breastfeed in public.

That said, while I completely respect your right not to like seeing women breastfeed, that's not a reason to ban it from public places. There are plenty of things I don't *like* but that isn't a reason for me to argue for them to be banned.

:yes: :up:.

*Has never seen "Me, Myself, and Irene"...

Angela

iacrobat said:

Well, you just haven't given a good reason, that's all. If you believe something, you ought to have a reason, "just 'cos" doesn't really cut it. Maybe you ought to re-evaluate what you believe about breast feeding. It use to freak me out, but now it seems more natural to me than eating a whopper.

WildHoneyAlways wanted to let this drop and we should. I want to say something to this though, blame me being too opinionated for my own good though, ok? :wink:

Being 'against' it should always be ok. There is a movement not many people are aware of because this is this great big force which hides under banners like La Leche League International (LLLI), Nursing Mothers Associations, midwifery divisions of all major hospitals, greenies, opinionated knobs, doctors and "been there before" mothers who "know what is best for everyone" are out there brainwashing women, drumming into them that breastfeeding is the be all and end all and to fail in your God given role of food on tap is an abomination. There is a silent minority who are caused much grief because of this and it is so wrong.
Honestly, its not a natural science to some. This is an issue which some women have varied and significant issues with and there is very little support which exists for women who for whatever reason cannot breastfeed or support the notion. WildHoneyAlways did not state all of this and it is not likely even the reason. From what she (?) said though, it is enough of a reason to be not keen on it. It is completely ok to be uncomfortable with it, it is completely ok to not be able to ever breastfeed your own child and all the rest. It is medically the best way, but guys...ever stuck your breasts in a baby's face and dealt with just how damned hard it can be? Think it is natural? Think again, please. It is not always so. It is not instinctual and does not come naturally, despite popular belief. Give women a break who are either against, opposed, non sympathetic or even wary of all of it.
WildHoneyAlways perhaps is not the one who needs to re-evaluate.

Like you say Angela, there are many reasons why a woman can't breast feed. I have seen the women and my family struggle with it. I am sure my wife will.

But please don't polarise the argument between men and women, it's only divisive and it's an easy way out. If at all, you should have addressed "guys AND women who have never had children." I don't think either are capable of imagining the way you suggest.

If someone says they are wary of breast feeding because they had a friend who or experienced themselves mastitis or difficulty with getting the child to latch (or any range of issues), I would understand. But if tell you me it is "icky", well that is something completely different.

If breast feeding is not natural, please tell me what on earth it is.

iacrobat said:
Like you say Angela, there are many reasons why a woman can't breast feed. I have seen the women and my family struggle with it. I am sure my wife will.

But please don't polarise the argument between men and women, it's only divisive and it's an easy way out. If at all, you should have addressed "guys AND women who have never had children." I don't think either are capable of imagining the way you suggest.

What polarising are you referring to? I wasn't talking about any specific gender at all. Unless you count the word 'guys' in which case it is still gender neutral anyway, over here at least. I'm trying to work out what you meant exactly but can't. It's not even about whether someone has had children or not. Most of my reply was to the attitude in general by either gender and regardless of whether the person has gone through it that their view of breastfeeding is absolutely correct.

iacrobat said:

If someone says they are wary of breast feeding because they had a friend who or experienced themselves mastitis or difficulty with getting the child to latch (or any range of issues), I would understand. But if tell you me it is "icky", well that is something completely different.

If breast feeding is not natural, please tell me what on earth it is.

"icky" is fine to me. I think it is perfectly reasonable, to be honest, for someone to say they are uncomfortable with the whole notion of it and therefore don't want to witness it in any way. That said, I do support completely regulations or laws and whatever which make allowances for the majority who don't have a problem. The needs of those who wish to breastfeed will always weigh more in my own personal opinion. If people dont like it, I support that completely but not at the exclusion or discrimination of a breastfeeding woman. That in itself might be wrong or hypocritical of me, but its how I feel. I guess it is better said that I empathise with those with alternate views.

Ok, natural. This is what I will agree I might not have been to clear on. It is natural, but it is not an act of nature which comes instinctively or necessarily easily. It is natural to be naked but very few people are comfortable being so. Anyways, I hate stupid comparisons so I wont go on with them, but you get the point. We were created to feed a baby through our breasts (biology 101 with me :D ) but it is not always going to be a walk in the park. The trouble some women go through is emotionally painful. It really is. It is so hard to learn that all the expectations you had are not going to be fulfilled and with many well meaning groups out there hoping to be giving you 'helpful advice' is really ...ugh. In short, it becomes like a failure on the behalf of the person. Anyone who disagrees with it for whatever reason are not looking at it properly, and so on. I dont agree with it at all. I could ramble on for hours probably so I will stop lol. I hope this explains it a bit better though.
:slant:

Sorry about that, I misread the "guys" thing, it goes both ways sometimes. And I am sorry if I came across as high and mighty. But it is related to the "icky" thing which we will have to agree to disagree on.

The people I know for who breastfeeding is icky, have never given 2 minutes of thought to it. Boobs are for sex only and they'd happily fill a newborn full of formula. That is by choice, not because of any physical problem or difficulty. I think what you are describing (expectations and pressure to feed) is something separate.

I understand when you say it is not easy, and I agree 100%. I can only imagine what it is like for a mother who desperately wants to breastfeed but can't. And all the feelings of guilt that go along with it...it isn't right.

Back
Top Bottom