Bruce Springsteen... Political Hypocrite - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Bruce Springsteen... Political Hypocrite

before i write this, let me first say that i'm a huge fan of bruce springsteen's music. in fact, i'm wearing a springsteen tour t-shirt as i type this. i saw him twice on the rising tour... once at giants stadium, once at shea stadium.

now that that's said, let me put my love of his music aside and make my argument for why the boss is a political hypocrite.

bruce claims to be "non-partisan." anyone who knows anything about the man knows that's just silly. but it's something i've ignored up until now... as he hits the road on his "vote for change" tour... claiming to be out for the rights of the people... yet his own state... his beloved Jersey... truely lives up to it's nickname of "the armpit of America." the mcgreevey adminstration was up to it's neck in accusations of corruption BEFORE the whole golan cipel fiasco. now mcgreevey is guilty of one of two things...

he either sexually harrassed one of his advisors...(and this is the lesser accusation)

or he put his unqualified boyfriend in a position of the utmost importance... putting the citizens of new jersey in danger, and paying his boyfriend a 6 digit salary in the process... tax payer money, of course.

AND on top of it all, mcgreevey is playing politics with his resignation date... delaying it till november so that a democrat can stay in office, rather than have the people of new jersey elect a new leader in a special election.

so i ask of you, mr. springsteen... where is your outrage now? why are there no concerts calling for mcgreevey to do the honorable thing and step down NOW? why are you so silent on this issue, when the one thing you've always fought for was your fellow Jerseyans? Why, Bruce? Why?

non-partisan my ass.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 AM
You don't see the difference in scale?

Mcgreevey may be the things you say but he is not being protested in Europe, Asia, and most other places on the globe. We had a corrupt Governor in CA that got the boot.

W is just the worst President in history. I know many Republicans, and independents, and good Americans from all walks of life that want him out.

Bruce is right.

Headache, it is not too late you too can get on the RIGHT side of this issue.

Join the Boss you will feel better.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Maybe he isn't proud to admit he is a Demo
Old 08-25-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
W is just the worst President in history. I know many Republicans, and independents, and good Americans from all walks of life that want him out.
I don't know how many times this was said of Reagan. The country is far better off than it was 25 years ago. Chicken little syndrome doesn't pan out in the end....
Old 08-25-2004, 03:45 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
You don't see the difference in scale?

Mcgreevey may be the things you say but he is not being protested in Europe, Asia, and most other places on the globe. We had a corrupt Governor in CA that got the boot.

Bruce is right.

Headache, it is not too late you too can get on the RIGHT side of this issue.

Join the Boss you will feel better.
and i know many democrats and independents and good americans from all walks of life that will be voting bush this fall.

but i wasn't debating springsteen's issues with the president... he may very well be right, that's not the point. but why is he so silent on the corruption in his very own home state? you can debate till the cows come home over bush-kerry... and you can make logical arguments for both sides. but there is no logical argument to back the mcgreevey administration, yet he remains silent. bruce is NEVER silent when it comes to jersey... just ironic, don'tcha think?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't know how many times this was said of Reagan. ....

Never by me.

Reagan could admit he made a mistake.
Reagan held regular press conferences and took ALL questions.

I am sure I voted for Reagan more times than most people on this board.

Come on, NBC
get on the RIGHT side with the boss.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:03 AM
I'm afraid the argument is flawed based on its premise: you're saying Bruce either has to publically support EVERYTHING or publically support nothing; you're not allowing him to choose what he wants to publically support.

Additionally, you said "bruce is NEVER silent when it comes to jersey" which I can't deny or verify as I don't keep track of every word that he speaks to the media. But I am guessing that the majority of when Bruce speaks out about current events happens during his shows. Maybe you haven't heard anything from him about this now because he isn't have concerts and isn't having constant interviews or what have you. He could very well be upset about it but a) doesn't have the correct venue to express his feelings and b) doesn't see it warrant the same urgent, intense reaction as the presidential election, as deep mentioned. Maybe he hasn't even made up his mind yet, as this is all unravelling more and more every day.

IMO the issues are apples and oranges. Either way, Bruce should be able to publically support whatever issues he wants - there is no "all or nothing" on voicing opinions on current issues.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

An article in this weeks Rolling Stone magazine really gets into the reason Bruce (and the other's) is taking such a strong stand in this election. In the grand scheme of things, the McGreevey matter is insignificant.
This is a link to the online article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...region=single6
Old 08-25-2004, 06:32 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Let's see, one is out for sure come November and one is in question come November... Hmm which one is worth the public outrage, the one that will actually effect everyone's life, or the one that hasn't even been settled yet?

Yeah, Bruce you are such the hypocrite
Old 08-25-2004, 07:29 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Never by me.

Reagan could admit he made a mistake.
Reagan held regular press conferences and took ALL questions.

I am sure I voted for Reagan more times than most people on this board.

Come on, NBC
get on the RIGHT side with the boss.
Come on Deep,

Join the Democrats and Independents who will be voting for Bush this fall!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:38 PM   #11
The Fly

the real question is..
Would Bruce have been quiet in NJ if McGreevy were a corrupt GOP Govenor.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:42 PM   #12
Refugee

Come on. Would Bush have spoken out against 527s if MoveOn wasn't running ads against him?

As nbc would say, partisan
Old 08-25-2004, 09:18 PM   #13
War Child

I agree completely with Headache. It's true, people only pick on the politicians they don't like and either ignore the mistakes of the ones whose positions they agree with, or make excuses for them.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
Come on. Would Bush have spoken out against 527s if MoveOn wasn't running ads against him?

As nbc would say, partisan
Actually Bush opposed CPR long before the 527 ads came along and reluctantly signed the bill.

So far 60 million dollars have been spent trying to defeat Bush in these 527 ads
2 million have been spent in anti Kerry ads.

Seems that Kerry squeals loudest when truth has a sting to it.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:56 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthPark(R)

Actually Bush opposed CPR long before the 527 ads came along and reluctantly signed the bill.

So far 60 million dollars have been spent trying to defeat Bush in these 527 ads
2 million have been spent in anti Kerry ads.

Seems that Kerry squeals loudest when truth has a sting to it.
So Bush is against this 527 as well, right? And, of course, The Republican Governors Association.

This is what President Bush said when he signed the the McCain-Feingold act in 2002.
Quote:
However, the bill does have flaws. Certain provisions present serious constitutional concerns. In particular, H.R. 2356 goes farther than I originally proposed by preventing all individuals, not just unions and corporations, from making donations to political parties in connection with Federal elections.

I believe individual freedom to participate in elections should be expanded, not diminished; and when individual freedoms are restricted, questions arise under the First Amendment.

I also have reservations about the constitutionality of the broad ban on issue advertising, which restrains the speech of a wide variety of groups on issues of public import in the months closest to an election. I expect that the courts will resolve these legitimate legal questions as appropriate under the law.
So now he believes that individual freedoms shouldn't be expanded. And he's flip-flopped on the issue of advertising.

Who's squealing?