Bruce Springsteen... Political Hypocrite - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2004, 12:31 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Kerry is squealing.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:03 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 12:26 AM

Well, at least you're consistent.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:47 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Re: Bruce Springsteen... Political Hypocrite

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

bruce claims to be "non-partisan." anyone who knows anything about the man knows that's just silly. but it's something i've ignored up until now... as he hits the road on his "vote for change" tour... claiming to be out for the rights of the people... yet his own state... his beloved Jersey... truely lives up to it's nickname of "the armpit of America." the mcgreevey adminstration was up to it's neck in accusations of corruption BEFORE the whole golan cipel fiasco. now mcgreevey is guilty of one of two things...

he either sexually harrassed one of his advisors...(and this is the lesser accusation)

or he put his unqualified boyfriend in a position of the utmost importance... putting the citizens of new jersey in danger, and paying his boyfriend a 6 digit salary in the process... tax payer money, of course.

AND on top of it all, mcgreevey is playing politics with his resignation date... delaying it till november so that a democrat can stay in office, rather than have the people of new jersey elect a new leader in a special election.

so i ask of you, mr. springsteen... where is your outrage now? why are there no concerts calling for mcgreevey to do the honorable thing and step down NOW? why are you so silent on this issue, when the one thing you've always fought for was your fellow Jerseyans? Why, Bruce? Why?

non-partisan my ass.
I think it's not a big public issue with Springsteen because it's already working it's way out. McGreevey is resigning and the matter is being looked into and will be resolved. And do you honestly think that the government position Cipel was given was/is of the "utmost" importance? I mean, it sounds good, and it might calm the masses, but I really don't think it is a position which will be able to do diddly for the people of New Jersey (no matter who held or holds it). As for the special election you are so gung ho for, those suckers are expensive. And there is really little point in having an election for that seat now. If the people of NJ want one so badly they can stage a recall. Problem solved.

Now if Dubya was an honorable man he would step down and stop making this nation hated and ridiculed throughout the world. Are you safer today...? HA! Fat chance.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:29 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 03:26 AM
everyone should read Oliveu2's statement and end this conversation.

Yes, Bush is a flip-floper, so is Kerry, so are you and so am I. It's human nature and should be encouraged when issues consist of complex data. I know more today than I did 5 years ago, so why should my opinion on issues change? Am I a maladriot idiot? I hope not.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:12 AM   #20
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:26 AM

no one is free of bias
no one (especially in politics) shies away from opportunistic behaviour
and everyone picks his/her battles (and hopefully they do this wisely)

it's the ones who state that they are completely neutral whom I distrust the most
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:26 AM
i appologize to anyone for feeling that the director of homeland security is a critical position in the state of new jersey... i mean why would it be? i mean it's not like one of the flights on 9/11 took off from newark, new jersey... or that the world trade center was operated by the port authority of new york and new jersey... it's not like northern new jersey is one of the most densley populated areas in the nation...

yes... i do feel putting an unqualified person in such a position just because you think he's cute is an absolute outrage. sorry, but that's just me.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #22
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:26 AM
I don't disagree that this is a grave issue

I just don't believe that Springsteen (god knows I know nothing about the man though) not making public statements about this shows that he doesn't care or think this is wrong
it does show that he decided not to put his efforts and use his celebrity 'powers' in this battle
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
it does show that he decided not to put his efforts and use his celebrity 'powers' in this battle
Why not? BIAS, that's why.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Hi Bruce! I didn't know you posted here.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:35 PM   #25
The Fly

I don't think so, but I have seen his wife post!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:38 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome

no one is free of bias
no one (especially in politics) shies away from opportunistic behaviour
and everyone picks his/her battles (and hopefully they do this wisely)
it's the ones who state that they are completely neutral whom I distrust the most
Well said Salome. My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:50 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Quote:
i appologize to anyone for feeling that the director of homeland security is a critical position in the state of new jersey... i mean why would it be? i mean it's not like one of the flights on 9/11 took off from newark, new jersey... or that the world trade center was operated by the port authority of new york and new jersey... it's not like northern new jersey is one of the most densley populated areas in the nation...

yes... i do feel putting an unqualified person in such a position just because you think he's cute is an absolute outrage. sorry, but that's just me.
Because the director of homeland security in New Jersey isn't going to be able to do diddly about stopping terrorism in NJ (or anywhere else) -- that's why it isn't important. It is a strictly lip service position and always will be, no matter who holds it.

And thank you for the apology!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:01 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

well, I think you've got to pick your battles; look at Bono: not a word about the war in Iraq...not one. Why? Surely not because he supports it; it's because he's got his hands full with DATA and aids in africa.
For Bruce to come out now and take this position I think only demonstrates the severity of the situation he feels is at hand. And he's right. I feel much like he does right now, that this election is the most important of our lifetime, and that the very future of America's course in the world hangs in the balance. So his stand on this is made more powerful because he has not had his hand in a thousand other issues.
And should one of those issues be regarding McGreevy's affair/scandal/resignation? Nope. Why? It's not anywhere near the same scale. The worst part about McGreevy is he used taxpayer money to pay his lover and keep him silent. And he's resigning. Good. End of debacle. No need for Bruce to step in and scold him.
With the real possiblity of W getting 4 more years, the ante is upped a thousand fold. I'm not going to debate why I think that here, but to summarize: the McGreevy thing does not warrant a statement or actions from Bruce; the election does.
Certainly to Bruce anyway.

P.S. NJ is not neccesarily the armpit of America; only the part that runs along the NJ Turnpike from Secaucus down through Elizabeth mostly.
oh. and Paterson, Passaic, and Newark.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #29
The Fly

I've been to Hackensack, well east Hackensack, and it wasn't too cool but thanks for taking the 'armpit' title, it was WV or KY that used to bear that name?

Jersey turnpike= HELL on earth
Old 08-27-2004, 12:28 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac
I've been to Hackensack, well east Hackensack, and it wasn't too cool but thanks for taking the 'armpit' title, it was WV or KY that used to bear that name?

Jersey turnpike= HELL on earth
LOL.

well, Hackensack ain't exactly paradise, but it's surely not the bronx either.

if you drive around the whole city, you'll see some very upscale homes and beutiful lawns/gardens.

and if your car breaks down on Newman street, ummm, ....well,