Brouhaha Over Arnold's "Girlie Men" Remark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny the term "Girlie Men" automatically seems to be equated with homosexuality.

This also amused me:
Stutzman said. "If they complain too much about this, I guess they're making the governor's point."

Last edited:
Inspired by verte76

33%3B3567923232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2326%3D86%3B%3D52%3C%3DXROQDF%3E232358699%3B854ot1lsi

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that from some old SNL skits with those mucle bound guys? I think Kevin Nealon was in the skits, but I could be wrong. It's likely that this is where he got the term from.

I never thought I'd find myself defending a Republican, but here goes. I think that people are freaking out over nothing. Yes, it was part of that old skit and I think Arnold was in a way poking fun at himself by saying "girlie-men" I don't think it was meant to be homophobic and I don't think it was meant to be sexist. It was just meant to call the people wimps and he was attempting to use some humor. Sometimes people are far too quick to jump on somebody for a minor mistake when there are far bigger problems going on....

LoveTown said:
I never thought I'd find myself defending a Republican, but here goes. I think that people are freaking out over nothing. Yes, it was part of that old skit and I think Arnold was in a way poking fun at himself by saying "girlie-men" I don't think it was meant to be homophobic and I don't think it was meant to be sexist. It was just meant to call the people wimps and he was attempting to use some humor. Sometimes people are far too quick to jump on somebody for a minor mistake when there are far bigger problems going on....

Whereas I agree that the conclusion that it was in anyway homophobic is jumping to conclusions. But in the same breath there's no excuse for a politician to refer to anyone as a wimp, especially when he's using the female gender to do so. I don't care if it was an SNL skit or not...

nbcrusader said:
So much for contemporary political humor :|

The language police don't like to be idle

So if during the next few months Kerry calls Bush a wimp, a wus, or says that he debates like a little girl, then the republicans will completely fine with this? I don't think so?

We expect Republicans to be insensitive assholes. Look at how Bush demanded Kerry apologize for using profanity to describe Bush, while Cheney was cheered on for using similar profanities to a Democratic senator? Double standards or just politics?

I'm just going to remain cynical over the subject. I guess it could have been worse, even if the comments all around are tasteless.

Melon

I can't get all worked up about this one. This is what you get when The Terminator is elected to public office. Did anyone really expect more?

joyfulgirl said:
I can't get all worked up about this one. This is what you get when The Terminator is elected to public office. Did anyone really expect more?

:up:

Standard Arnold, IMO.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
So if during the next few months Kerry calls Bush a wimp, a wus, or says that he debates like a little girl, then the republicans will completely fine with this? I don't think so?

Speech is countered by speech. Kerry already had his "heart and sole of America" make their inappropriate comments about Bush. Big deal.

The sad thing is the response to Arnold's comment. Instead of something simple and rational, like "name calling isn't going to solve the budget problems" we got the usual partisan actions. I guess a rational comment wouldn't make the headlines, so we get the usual "you're a bigot, prove me wrong" response by labeling the comment as "sexist" or "homophobic".

It is a tired old dance that shows no signs of ending for either side.

who knows what arnold was thinking when he said "girlie men" ... it's hard to even decipher what he says let alone what his thoughts are on something. however, it's pretty ridiculous for a grown-ass man to use the phrase "girlie men." i mean he's the governor of california ... he should really work on his vocabulary if he wants anyone to take him seriously.

Back
Top Bottom