Broncos Fan Says He Was Humiliated By Teacher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
the teacher's a douchebag... but if this is the worst thing to ever happen to this kid, then he's doing ok himself.

fire the teacher, give the kid a retest, move on.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Regarding the reactions of wearing a jersey of one team in an area full of supporters of another team-maybe it's just 'cause I'm not a sports person in general, but can someone please tell me why people get that crazy about that sort of thing? Nothing wrong whatsoever with friendly competition and all that sort of thing, that's totally fine and good, but geez, why do people insist on getting practically physical about it? It's a game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Angela

There is a big gap between (i) the kid deserved it and (ii) it was absolutely wrong by the teacher.

We are working with the student's take on the incident. I find it interesting that the student wants out of the class "because he's afraid the teacher won't treat him fairly now that the story reached the media." How did it get to the media?

Moonlit_Angel said:

Sounds reasonable to me.

Regarding the reactions of wearing a jersey of one team in an area full of supporters of another team-maybe it's just 'cause I'm not a sports person in general, but can someone please tell me why people get that crazy about that sort of thing? Nothing wrong whatsoever with friendly competition and all that sort of thing, that's totally fine and good, but geez, why do people insist on getting practically physical about it? It's a game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Angela

why do people get crazy over their favorite musical act? it's just music...

sports teams aside, what this comes down to is the professionalism of the teacher. teachers are supposed to be role models...but this guy clearly crossed the line by having him sit on the floor and throw papers at him. It's nothing but bullying, which is what we're trying to do away with in schools!

Headache in a Suitcase said:

why do people get crazy over their favorite musical act? it's just music...

I utterly adore my favourite band. But if someone else doesn't (and lots of someone else's don't) I don't care. People who don't like my favourite band can even wear other band's t-shirts in my presence and say "I hate your band" and I don't get my shorts in a bunch.

I guess that just because I'm not a cretin though. :shrug:

nbcrusader said:
There is a big gap between (i) the kid deserved it and (ii) it was absolutely wrong by the teacher.
Yes, I was making a reference to the poster who says "he knew what he was doing" and "was deliberately..."
nbcrusader said:

We are working with the student's take on the incident. I find it interesting that the student wants out of the class "because he's afraid the teacher won't treat him fairly now that the story reached the media." How did it get to the media?
Well there were other students who qualified his story.

How it got there, really means nothing to me. Any teacher who doesn't know the lines between student and teacher and is so unapologetic about it, deserves the exposure.

indra said:
I utterly adore my favourite band. But if someone else doesn't (and lots of someone else's don't) I don't care. People who don't like my favourite band can even wear other band's t-shirts in my presence and say "I hate your band" and I don't get my shorts in a bunch.

I guess that just because I'm not a cretin though. :shrug:

Exactly.

Headache, I was referring more to the people who get to the point where they beat others up over not supporting their favorite team, or insult them, or that sort of thing, and I'm sorry if that didn't come across all that clear in my post. Don't get me wrong at all, I have no problem with people being heavily into sports teams or bands or TV shows or movies or whatever at all-god knows I've been that way with many things over the years myself. I just don't understand being so into something to the point where, like indra pointed out, a person will berate others for not liking the same things they do, it just seems pointless to me, personally. It may be a great team/game, but is the team/game worth treating non-supporters like dirt for not doing so? I don't think so (and I don't doubt you would probably agree with that, so...).

Angela

If he was wearing this shirt to a Steelers game, he deserves to get beat up (well not "deserves," but you've gotta know it's coming :wink: ). If the teacher had jokingly made him sit on the floor for a minute, that's fine but this guy's obviously an idiot.

The Associated Press

BEAVER FALLS, Pa. - A high school student whose teacher forced him to sit on the floor during a midterm exam - for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey - will soon be sitting pretty in a recliner John Elway helped design.

Bassett furniture was to deliver the Elway Home heat-massage reclining chair to Joshua Vannoy, 17, on Friday, according to Jennifer Maguire, a Bassett representative.

Vannoy, his attorney, parents and school officials - but not Kelly - were to meet Friday, said Vannoy's attorney Nick Frisk III.

The meeting was arranged partly to deal with what steps the school will take to ensure Vannoy's safe return. Frisk said Vannoy has been threatened.

Vannoy is an honors student with a 3.8 grade-point average and shouldn't be criticized, Frisk said.

"I think it's unfair. He was not the wrongdoer in the classroom and for him to have to suffer the way he is now is not right," Frisk said. "Our number one goal is to get Josh back into school in a safe environment."

Back
Top Bottom