Brokeback Mountain - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:03 AM
I'm sure plenty of people will be receptive to it in the suburbs, I'd be willing to bet it will be sold out at my theater. Seems like a bit of stereotyping there..

Brokeback a Box Office Success So Far

By SANDY COHEN, AP Entertainment Writer 46 minutes ago

Who's afraid of a couple of gay cowboys? Not moviegoers, who helped "Brokeback Mountain" post the highest per-screen average over the film-flush holiday weekend.

The Ang Lee film, which follows the 20-year forbidden romance between two roughneck ranch hands, earned $13,599 per theater, compared with $9,305 for weekend winner "King Kong" and $8,225 for "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

The big question is whether "Brokeback" can maintain its momentum as it moves from selected cities, where audiences are receptive to the subject matter, to suburbs far and wide, where that might not be the case.

Early numbers — and early awards buzz — establish the picture's staying power, industry insiders say. "Brokeback" earned a leading seven Golden Globe nominations.

"It delivered very strong growth in what is truly a highly unforgiving, competitive, cruel market at this Christmas period," said Jack Foley, president of theatrical distribution for Focus Features. "It showed it has breadth beyond the gay community."

Distributors planned to roll out the film slowly. It opened in just six theaters, where it earned an "unprecedented" $109,000 per venue, said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box office tracker Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc.

The film expanded to 69 theaters the following week, then to 217 over the holiday weekend, reaching suburban audiences in Portland, Dallas, Denver and Atlanta.

The gradual release allows moviegoers to talk up the film's appeal, Foley said.

And it seems to be working.

"This is a film that builds through word of mouth and critical acclaim," Dergarabedian said. "People want to see what all the fuss is about."

Response has been so robust that distributors are expanding the film's rollout ahead of schedule. It will show on 269 screens this Friday, and reach an additional 80 markets the following week, Foley said.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:03 AM
it's still not playing in my city.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #123
She's the One

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
1. The tagline for Brokeback Mountain is, "Love is a force of nature." Do you agree? Do we get to choose whom we fall in love with? Do we get to choose our sexual orientation? Why or why not?

2. Scripture says homosexual sex is sinful (Lev. 18:22, 20:13; Rom. 1:26-27; 1 Cor. 6:9-11). How should the church engage those who hold different beliefs about homosexuality? Should Christians expect all people to be heterosexuals? Why or why not? What does this mean for how Christians should treat gays?

3. Ennis' parents died when he was young. Do you think the loneliness he experienced as a child played into his attraction to Jack? If yes, how so? When he got married, why didn't Alma's love satisfy his need for companionship?

4. Do Ennis and Jack love each other because they're gay, or are they gay because they love each other? Explain. Had they never met, do you think one or both of them would have happily lived a heterosexual life? Why or why not? What does that say about the nature of sexual orientation?

5. Ennis and Jack determine that their bond is no one else's business. Can love—gay or straight—stay secret and be and/or remain healthy? Why or why not?

6. How should Christians approach films that depict gay relationships? What, if anything, can we learn from such movies? About the gay culture? About ourselves?
Now that I've seen the movie and (nearly) recovered from it and can (almost) stop thinking about it all the time, I have a few answers for these questions.

It's people like you and your bullshit attitudes that make people miserable, secretive, and unhappy. It also makes people murder in your name. STFU.

On a healthier note, Michelle Williams should win an Oscar for this.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I haven't seen the movie diamond but I don't think the "violence" has anything to do with "gay on gay violence" and I don't quite know what you mean by that-as far as I know the vast majority of violence perpetrated against gay people is by straight people.

From what I've read about the movie, any "violence" might have to do with both of them being in some sort of denial about their attraction for each other, thus it is integral to the story and not violence just for the sake of it. Someone who has seen it can explain it much better than I can.
well i know a great many gay ppl and gay guy couples who have fought, when they fight they don't want to report it, because they don't want a spectacle made of their relationship...kinda like like spousal abuse from the wife ..the man is always embarssed etc.

And if gay relationships are normal..why when a male and female being attracted to each other..and if they get flustered, because they 're in supposed denial, why do they not resort to violence, all things being the same, like those frisky cowboys in the movie?

db9
Old 12-29-2005, 09:41 PM   #125
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

well i know a great many gay ppl and gay guy couples who have fought, when they fight they don't want to report it, because they don't want a spectacle made of their relationship...kinda like like spousal abuse from the wife ..the man is always embarssed etc.

And if gay relationships are normal..why when a male and female being attracted to each other..and if they get flustered, because they 're in supposed denial, why do they not resort to violence, all things being the same, like those frisky cowboys in the movie?

db9
Men are naturally more aggressive, seems like a no-brainer.

But then I guess those don't exist here in FYM, because there's always one.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 PM   #126
She's the One

Quote:
like those frisky cowboys in the movie?
Diamond, go see the goddamn movie, then talk about it.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:08 AM   #127
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Diamond, go see the goddamn movie, then talk about it.
NEW STUDY SHOWS URBAN GAY MEN AS LIKELY TO BE BATTERED
AS HETEROSEXUAL WOMEN

HIV DIAGNOSIS OFTEN TRIGGERS VIOLENCE

A new study shows that one in five urban gay men is battered by his partner, showing that homosexual men are just as likely as heterosexual women to be victims of domestic violence. This new NIH-funded study, the first of its kind, appears in the December issue of American Journal of Public Health
Old 12-30-2005, 03:12 AM   #128
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:03 AM
^It's no wonder Bush got re-elected...

People are still stuck.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I assume you're being serious and not just goofing around..are you honestly judging how "normal" gay relationships are by what happens in a short story/story made into a movie? I believe the cowboys being "violent" was probably written by Ms Proulx for character purposes, and in the context of the time period/the place/the attitudes towards homosexuality. I haven't read the short story yet, I'm waiting to see the movie-so I am assuming that the "violence" is also in the book.

If you think the "violence" is any sort of important part of this movie, I think you're really missing the boat.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #130
The Fly

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
Some women actually get hot watching two men.
Two horses being saved at once...
Old 12-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #131
She's the One

Diamond, you're still basing things on the trailer. What you posted doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the punches thrown in the movie.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Diamond, you're still basing things on the trailer. What you posted doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the punches thrown in the movie.
well when i see the movie, i will be able to determine the reason those fellows were throwing punches.

if they were really in love and throwing punches than that is a form of domestic violence and not suitable in any shape or form ,gay straight or otherwise and gay cowboyz shouldn't be doing this.

db9
Old 12-31-2005, 09:09 AM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

well when i see the movie, i will be able to determine the reason those fellows were throwing punches.
Then why are you already having opinions as to why before you have seen it? I'm confused.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Then why are you already having opinions as to why before you have seen it? I'm confused.
if you read my statement in context, in which i saw the 2 gay guys slugging it out in the trailer you wouldn't be confused.

db9
Old 12-31-2005, 10:07 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

I read it (in context, no need to instruct me on that ), I'm still confused