Brokeback Mountain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[q]Still no brakes for 'Brokeback'
'Munich' solid as 'Mountain' climbs high

By BEN FRITZ

"Brokeback Mountain" continues to buck trends, showing even more heat in its fourth limited frame while "Munich" posted a second solid week on several hundred plays and "Match Point" aced its debut on a handful of courts.

"Brokeback" gained an amazing 61% in its fourth frame despite adding only 52 theaters. Focus' Ang LeeAng Lee-helmed gay cowboy love story lassoed up $4.8 million at 269 playdates, giving it a three-day per-screen average of $13,407.

Pic expanded to just a few additional mid-sized cities and made boffoboffo grosses in all of them, including $37,000 in Nashville, $44,000 in Columbus, and $32,000 in Milwaukee. Lowest-grossing theaters are in the suburbs, where "Brokeback" is averaging mid-single digits, similar to moderately performing wide pics like "Geisha" and "Rumor Has It."

Focus expects to add around 120 theaters Friday as part of a slow expansion throughout January.

"The process is working, but we still have to judiciously select our new markets and the ones where we expand," Focus distribdistrib toppertopper Jack Foley said. "It's a matter of timing and restraint to let the major competition get out of the marketplace."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117935396?categoryid=1082&cs=1

[/q]

[q]America's heartland loves the Academy Awards, but the image of two cowboys riding into the sunset holding hands on Oscar night is the stuff of frontier nightmares.

Nevertheless, there is evidence that "Brokeback" may break down the resistance of red staters to at least the possibility of true same-sex romance. Ang Lee's film, adapted by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana from Annie Proulx's 1997 New Yorker short story, is that rare four-hankie movie that also has men dabbing their sleeves.

The question, in regard to its ultimate box-office success, is whether enough people will give it a chance outside the metropolitan centers and their surrounding suburbs.

As of Tuesday, "Brokeback" had sold $15.1 million worth of tickets in 269 mostly blue state theaters. Tomorrow it goes on the road, testing the conservative waters and adding another 200-plus theaters in Southern cities like Charlotte, N.C.; Lexington, Ky., and Baton Rouge, La., and in the Western towns of Tulsa, Okla.; Boise, Idaho; Bozeman, Mont., and Anchorage.

A studio spokesperson says the producers are encouraged by the advance buzz from red state critics. "Brokeback" has won the Best Picture award from critics groups in Florida, Dallas/Fort Worth, Las Vegas and in the state of Utah (the last presumably using a secret ballot).

According to exit polls, "Brokeback's" audience started as women in their 30s and now is about evenly split along gender lines. Straight men may be leaving shoe-leather skidmarks on the way into the theaters, but they're going.

Like "Curb Your Enthusiasm's" Larry David, who voiced his tongue-in-cheek objections to "Brokeback" in a recent New York Times op-ed piece, I felt that "cowboys would have to lasso me, drag me into the theater and tie me to the seat" to make me watch a pair of range riders steam up a pup tent.

But I've now seen the movie three times (twice with my wife, if you have to know) and it is one of the most devastating Hollywood love stories of all time.

If it wins the Oscar on March 6, it won't be for the reason most detractors think - that it's decadent Hollywood promoting the gay lifestyle - but for the sanest reason of all: because it's the best movie.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/story/380092p-322765c.html

[/q]

I called Regal Cinemas - headquarters are local - to ask them if they had any plans to play it locally. I talked to customer service and one of the buyers and SURPRISE SURPRISE - it starts here today.

My dentist wants to see it and so do a few coworkers and friends. So this is good for me. I will probably go with people this time, instead of alone, and we can go discuss at dinner later.

there is video of Shalit's review in the link

http://www.glaad.org/action/alerts_detail.php?id=3849#

On Jan. 5, NBC News' Today show featured Gene Shalit's review of Brokeback Mountain on his regular "Critic's Corner" segment. Rather than focus on the merits of the film, Shalit — who has been a Today show regular for 31 years — used the occasion to promote defamatory anti-gay prejudice to a national audience.

In the piece, Shalit refers to Jake Gyllenhaal's character, Jack, as a "sexual predator" who "tracks Ennis down and coaxes him into sporadic trysts." Shalit's bizarre characterization of Jack as a "predator" and Ennis (Heath Ledger) as a victim reflects a fundamental lack of understanding about the central relationship in the film and about gay relationships in general. It seems highly doubtful that Shalit would similarly claim that Titanic's Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) was a "sexual predator" because he was pursuing a romantic relationship with Rose (Kate Winslet).

Shalit does offer a kind word for Ledger's performance and says "Brokeback Mountain does have a few dramatic peaks" before calling the film "wildly overpraised, but not by me."

Shalit has every right as a film critic to criticize Brokeback Mountain. But his baseless branding of Jack as a "sexual predator" merely because he is romantically interested in someone of the same sex is defamatory, ignorant and irresponsible. And it is equally irresponsible for NBC News to have given Shalit a platform for his gratuitously offensive comments.

I just watched the video and I agree, that is offensive. Yeah OK, no heterosexuals persue others in movies. Note on the GLAAD site it states that he has an openly gay son.

He isn't even reviewing the movie if you ask me- it just sounds like juvenile, snide, and offensive remarks

the GLAAD link has phone #s and e-mail to contact the Today Show if anyone is interested

Regretfully, I'll probably have to wait for the DVD. I just have no one to see this movie with, and I hate going to theaters alone.

Melon

I go alone.

Saw this one alone.

When i first started going by myself I hated it, too.

Now, I think I may prefer it.:shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
there is video of Shalit's review in the link

http://www.glaad.org/action/alerts_detail.php?id=3849#

On Jan. 5, NBC News' Today show featured Gene Shalit's review of Brokeback Mountain on his regular "Critic's Corner" segment. Rather than focus on the merits of the film, Shalit — who has been a Today show regular for 31 years — used the occasion to promote defamatory anti-gay prejudice to a national audience.

In the piece, Shalit refers to Jake Gyllenhaal's character, Jack, as a "sexual predator" who "tracks Ennis down and coaxes him into sporadic trysts." Shalit's bizarre characterization of Jack as a "predator" and Ennis (Heath Ledger) as a victim reflects a fundamental lack of understanding about the central relationship in the film and about gay relationships in general. It seems highly doubtful that Shalit would similarly claim that Titanic's Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) was a "sexual predator" because he was pursuing a romantic relationship with Rose (Kate Winslet).

Shalit does offer a kind word for Ledger's performance and says "Brokeback Mountain does have a few dramatic peaks" before calling the film "wildly overpraised, but not by me."

Shalit has every right as a film critic to criticize Brokeback Mountain. But his baseless branding of Jack as a "sexual predator" merely because he is romantically interested in someone of the same sex is defamatory, ignorant and irresponsible. And it is equally irresponsible for NBC News to have given Shalit a platform for his gratuitously offensive comments.

:shrug:

036.jpg

deep said:
I go alone.

Saw this one alone.

When i first started going by myself I hated it, too.

Now, I think I may prefer it.:shrug:

I see most movies alone though I have plenty of people to go with. Like you, I generally prefer it. I saw this one with friends, though. I guess it depends on where you live. Having lived in NYC for so many years where going to movies alone is practically a way of life it felt perfectly normal. If I went alone in a small town it might feel weird.

Anyway, Shalit obviously has issues. :down:

I'm not sure if this movie's here yet or not. I know this one kid at where I work said he'd seen it recently, but I can't recall if he saw it here or in some nearby town.

If and when it comes to theaters here, I'll try and go see it...if I miss out there I'll keep an eye out for it when it comes to DVD or Pay-Per View or something. Would probably go with my sister if I saw it at a theater, 'cause she's interested to see it, too.

As for people having issues with the stuff that goes on in the movie...all I can say to them is "Grow up."

Angela

The salon.com review was rather negative but I actually agree with this part about the wives and Jack's in particular (her final scene was one of my complaints about the film--really made little sense to me)--but mostly I'm posting this as an example of constructive criticism vs. Shalit's homophobic review:

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2005/12/09/brokeback/index.html

...The movie's ultra-sensitive, ultra-tasteful sense of daring is really just a scrim for some pretty conventional cautionary impulses. This is what comes of denying your true nature: You get stuck with a frowsy, unhappy wife in a shabby housecoat, clutching a coffee cup as she stares into space.

But then, of course, this isn't the wives' movie: It's a movie in which women don't figure much at all. Jack and Ennis are essentially early-'60s-type men, and although the movie does give us a few scenes showing Ennis tending to his sick daughters, and one of Jack driving his son around in a big tractor, most of the child-rearing is left to the womenfolk. The movie occasionally pretends to be mildly interested in these jilted spouses, particularly Ennis' wife, Alma, played by Michelle Williams. Williams, an expressive actress who's only just beginning to find out what she can do, has some good scenes, although mostly she's required to suffer silently in the couple's dismal flat. (Ennis works hard as a ranch hand, but he never makes quite enough to support his family, let alone buy paint or lightbulbs.)

But Anne Hathaway, as Jack's wife, Lureen, barely registers as a character. When we first meet her -- she's a young rodeo princess with a wild sex drive and an even wilder smile -- she jolts the movie awake like a pistol shot. But as the story limps along, moving from the '60s to the mid-'70s, her outfits get progressively louder and her teased tresses progressively blonder. She's a hairhopper by necessity, as if Lee had reached his quota of real human beings and needed to fill out the corners of his story with cartoons. Her final scene, in particular, is baffling. Lee directs it in such a way that we have no idea what it means: We go through the whole picture with no idea how she feels about her husband, and the movie's ending gives us no further clues.

AP

A movie theater owned by Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller abruptly changed its screening plans and decided not to show the film "Brokeback Mountain." The film, an R-rated Western gay romance story, was supposed to open Friday at the Megaplex at Jordan Commons in Sandy, a suburb of Salt Lake City. Instead it was pulled from the schedule.

A message posted at the ticket window read: "There has been a change in booking and we will not be showing 'Brokeback Mountain.' We apologize for any inconvenience."

Cal Gunderson, manager of the Jordan Commons Megaplex, declined to comment.

The film, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, is about two cowboys who discover feelings for one another. The two eventually marry women but rekindle their relationship over the years.

The movie's distributor, Focus Features, said that hours before opening, the theater management "reneged on their licensing agreement," and refused to open the film.

Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said not showing the film set an example for the people of Utah.

"I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said. :rolleyes:

Mike Thompson, executive director of the gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah, called it disappointing.

"It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film with so much buzz about it is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias," he said.

it seems like this film is just starting to suffer from a little bit of backlash -- though not nearly as bad as the backlash suffered by "munich," which seems to have been professionally assassinated by the pro-israeli right for daring to think that even palestinian terrorists are multi-dimensional human beings, bad human beings, but still human beings -- and i think it's important to remember that the film is not here to cure cancer.

it's a movie.

a very good one. in some ways a remarkable one. but it doesn't have a halo. and it can't be expected to be anything more than what it is.

oh, and it does seem ironic that the film won "best picture" from the Utah critics association.

joyfulgirl said:
The salon.com review was rather negative but I actually agree with this part about the wives and Jack's in particular (her final scene was one of my complaints about the film--really made little sense to me)--but mostly I'm posting this as an example of constructive criticism vs. Shalit's homophobic review:

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2005/12/09/brokeback/index.html

...The movie's ultra-sensitive, ultra-tasteful sense of daring is really just a scrim for some pretty conventional cautionary impulses. This is what comes of denying your true nature: You get stuck with a frowsy, unhappy wife in a shabby housecoat, clutching a coffee cup as she stares into space.

But then, of course, this isn't the wives' movie: It's a movie in which women don't figure much at all. Jack and Ennis are essentially early-'60s-type men, and although the movie does give us a few scenes showing Ennis tending to his sick daughters, and one of Jack driving his son around in a big tractor, most of the child-rearing is left to the womenfolk. The movie occasionally pretends to be mildly interested in these jilted spouses, particularly Ennis' wife, Alma, played by Michelle Williams. Williams, an expressive actress who's only just beginning to find out what she can do, has some good scenes, although mostly she's required to suffer silently in the couple's dismal flat. (Ennis works hard as a ranch hand, but he never makes quite enough to support his family, let alone buy paint or lightbulbs.)

But Anne Hathaway, as Jack's wife, Lureen, barely registers as a character. When we first meet her -- she's a young rodeo princess with a wild sex drive and an even wilder smile -- she jolts the movie awake like a pistol shot. But as the story limps along, moving from the '60s to the mid-'70s, her outfits get progressively louder and her teased tresses progressively blonder. She's a hairhopper by necessity, as if Lee had reached his quota of real human beings and needed to fill out the corners of his story with cartoons. Her final scene, in particular, is baffling. Lee directs it in such a way that we have no idea what it means: We go through the whole picture with no idea how she feels about her husband, and the movie's ending gives us no further clues.

actually, i thought this was one of the more brilliant scenes in the film. but since i don't want to give anything away, please PM me if you want to discuss it.

i agree that her character wasn't as fleshed out as the men, nor as much as Michelle Williams, though i think the focus on the negative aspects of straight family life -- screaming babies, etc. -- are there to emphasize the tragedy of homophobia, since these men aren't capable of living a successful straight life since it necessarily involves lies.

i saw everyone in the film as a victim of homophobia, the wives and children most especially. i disagree with the characterization that the film was making jack and ennis's life of "fishing trips" up on Brokeback as pure and real, and heterosexual life as one of obligations and responsibilities. i think that the social forces that prevent jack and ennis from being together are what creates the appearance of freedom on brokeback and enslavement (so to speak) back in the town. it's more metaphoric, than anything. the idea that thwarted love of any kind -- gay, montague and capulet, interracial, whatever -- poisons the reality one is forced to inhabit.

good for the Utah Critic's Association

not a bit surprised by how much is not aired in Utah.

one can argue it is just the "free marketplace"

i hope an independent theater has the guts to screen this in the "beehive state"

Munich may be my favorite film on the year.

I see it as having a bias towards Israel.
But, much less than many films.

Brokeback Mountain is an excellent and important movie.
I recommend it to everyone.

I hope it will have the same effect that "Philadelphia" had.

Where people can see the humanity that unites us all.
And how wrong it is to tolerate the treatment some people receive.

Let's hope the projector's flickering light,
can shed a little light in the darkness of ignorance.
Prejudice is based on ignorance.

Last edited:
just wanted to say that i think it's been a very good for movies, but especially movies about issues -- Brokeback, Munich, Capote (the death penalty, to some extent, but also the ethics of "new journalism"), The Constant Gardener, and Crash.

nice to see so many in the artistic/entertainment community respond to the rather crazed state of the world with movies that provoke dialogue and conversation.

Irvine511 said:
just wanted to say that i think it's been a very good for movies, but especially movies about issues -- Brokeback, Munich, Capote (the death penalty, to some extent, but also the ethics of "new journalism"), The Constant Gardener, and Crash.

Good Night and Good Luck was also solid in this regard. And Syriana.

If it doesn't play at my theater I will be very angry :madspit: I will go wherever I have to go to see it

Washington State

POULSBO - The movie 'Brokeback Mountain' -- the story of two cowboys who fall in love -- is generating a lot of buzz. So when Regal Cinema in Poulsbo suddenly yanked the flick leaving only a note that they'd refund their customers, the surprise move made headlines in the Kitsap Sun.

Movie-goers waiting in line to catch a matinee say they weren't surprised.

Dorothy Guzzwell who wanted to see the movie is disappointed. "As difficult as it is to look at something you don't understand, it's so important to do it," says Guzzwell.

The theater manager refused to tell KOMO why the movie was suddenly pulled after days of advertising and ticket presales. Customers pointed out Poulsbo's conservative stance.

One person pointed to a sign in Regal's parking lot that revealed the theater rents out the building to a local church for Sunday service.

We wondered: does that have anything to do with why Brokeback isn't on the marqee?

"I think it's ridiculous! For one thing, they have two big-named actors starring in it," says Movie-goer Dylan Haydu. "To say that people aren't going to come and see it is ridiculous!"

Regal's corporate office said pulling the movie wasn't their decision.

The distributor, Focus Films, decided last minute to limit the release. And while it's doing well, 'Brokeback Mountain' is only playing in 265 theaters nationwide -- many of them Regal theaters.

The answer didn't surprise John Guzzwell: "It all comes down to the bottom line; how much money is it gonna make, I'm afraid."

Regal Cinema says it will refund any customer who purchased advanced tickets.

In the meantime, a corporate spokesperson says Regal will most likely show Brokeback as it gets closer to Oscar time.

But some fans won't wait until then. "I'm taking my business to Bainbridge Island where they are playing it," says Anthony Marcacci, "if they're playing it there, they should play it here!"

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2006/01/10/jake_gyllenhaal_had_a_gay_time_kissing_h

Jake Gyllenhaal says smooching Heath Ledger in 'Brokeback Mountain' was like exfoliating - because of all the stubble. The heartthrob star reportedly claims kissing Heath in the gay cowboy movie was like giving his face a good scrub. He told Empire magazine: "When we kissed it felt like we were exfoliating.

"It was definitely more aggressive. It was physically a much stronger thing." Gyllenhaal also admits he was left injured after filming a scene in which the two actors - who have a secret homosexual affair in the critically acclaimed film - fight each other.

And the 26-year-old star claims shooting the movie's sex scenes was just as rough as the when he and Heath had to grapple with one another. He added: "When we fight in the movie it's very similar to when we are physical with each other.

"I was pretty $%^&ed up after one of the scenes. We were rolling down the hill, really punching each other, strangling each other." Last year, Jake confessed he was flattered by rumours he is bisexual.

The actor insisted he only fancies women and has never had a gay experience - but wouldn't be worried if he found he was attracted to a man. He said at the time: "You know it's flattering when there's a rumour that says I'm bisexual. It means I can play more kinds of roles, I'm open to whatever people want to call me.

"I've never really been attracted to men sexually, but I don't think I would be afraid of it if it happened."

Back
Top Bottom