Brokeback Mountain - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #406
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Friend told me about an essay on the web, written before Brokeback was released, on how and why heterosexuals get the gay theme in film 'more right' than gays themselves. Anyone with a link to this essay would be much appreciated...

foray

Old 03-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #407
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 AM

IT'S HARD OUT HERE FOR A WIMP

By Ann Coulter Wed Mar 8, 8:11 PM ET

In case you missed the Oscars last Sunday night, here are the highlights:

Best song went to a musical tribute to the overseers of human sex slaves, an occupation known as "pimping";

best picture went to a movie about racism in Los Angeles;

best supporting actor went to the movie about how oil companies murder people; and

best supporting actress went to the movie about how pharmaceutical companies murder people.

Curiously missing from Oscar night's festivities was any reference, even in passing, to the 150,000 brave Americans currently risking their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan.

On behalf of red state America, let me be the first to say: "Screw you, Hollywood."

Although I must tell you, overall, this Academy Awards ceremony was a major strategic retreat by Hollywood. Despite all their Bolshevik bluster about how Democratic politicians won't stand up to Republicans, the Hollywood left is as scared of decent patriotic Americans as the Democrats are.

"Brokeback Mountain" did not win best picture, "Munich" won nothing, and the Palestinian suicide bombers movie won nothing. There was no angry self-righteousness from Vanessa Redgrave against "Zionist hooligans," or from Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon for the Haitian boat people. There was no Bush-bashing. There was no Michael Moore. The host was not Whoopi Goldberg, so that's a big fat reward to every man, woman and child in America right there.

This may have been the most American Oscars yet, if America consisted of beautiful airheads in $50,000 dresses. And that was just the guys in "Brokeback Mountain."

I believe this marks the first time in Oscars history that an award recipient shouted, "Thank you, Jesus!" upon receiving his award. Admittedly, this was the only part of the speech that didn't have to be bleeped and it was for a song titled, "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp," but it's still a step forward.

Jon Stewart, this year's host, was very funny -- but not quite as funny as the fact that the audience didn't get the jokes. (There were a lot of actors in the audience.) Apparently, the one comedy bit capable of bringing down a house of actors is: Ben Stiller hopping around in a green unitard.

However liberal Stewart is personally, his best jokes are always mildly conservative.

He twitted the Hollywood audience, saying:

"I have to say it is a little shocking to see all these big names here, these huge stars. The Oscars is really, I guess, the one night of the year where you can see all your favorite stars without having to donate any money to the Democratic Party."

Actually, between George Clooney's posturing and the ode to pimpdom winning "best song," I think Oscar night was more of a fund-raiser for the Republican Party.

George Clooney made the only stand for liberal Hollywood, smugly declaring:

"We are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while. I think it's probably a good thing. We're the ones who talked about AIDS when it was just being whispered, and we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. ... (T)his group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I'm proud ... to be part of this community, and proud to be out of touch."

Forget about Hollywood being ahead of the big issues: Hollywood has never even been on time for the big issues. This is why, for example, in the middle of an epic war with Islamic fascists, Hollywood is still making movies about the Nazis. Now and then, just for variety, they tackle a more current topic, like the Jim Crow era.

Even on AIDS -- which is something you'd expect people like Clooney to know something about -- Hollywood was about seven years behind. Wait, no -- bad choice of words. Even on AIDS, Hollywood got caught with its pants down. Still no good. On AIDS, Hollywood got it right in the end. Oh, dear ... Note to self: Must hire two more interns to screen hate mail.

The point is: The Hollywood set didn't start wearing AIDS ribbons to the Oscars until 1992:

10 years after The New York Times described AIDS;

seven years after AIDS was the cover story on Life magazine;

seven years after AIDS was in People magazine;

five years after Oprah did a show on AIDS.

Only recently has George Clooney heard about segregation. (He's against it.) But he still can't nail down the details of something that ended nearly half a century ago.

Contrary to Clooney's impassioned speech, no theaters ever forced black people to sit in the back. If you were trying to oppress people, you would make them sit in the front, which are the worst seats in the house. Or you'd just make them watch a George Clooney movie.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #408
Blue Crack Addict

Gratuitous adorable Jake pic post. Is that his Puggle?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #409
Blue Crack Supplier

Annie Proulx is mad:

[q]
Blood on the red carpet

Annie Proulx on how her Brokeback Oscar hopes were dashed by Crash

Saturday March 11, 2006
The Guardian

Ain't no Mountain high enough ... Ang Lee with his Oscar for best director. Photograph: Kevork Djansezian/AP. More photographs

On the sidewalk stood hordes of the righteous, some leaning forward like wind-bent grasses, the better to deliver their imprecations against gays and fags to the open windows of the limos - the windows open by order of the security people - creeping toward the Kodak Theater for the 78th Academy Awards. Others held up sturdy, professionally crafted signs expressing the same hatred.
The red carpet in front of the theatre was larger than the Red Sea. Inside, we climbed grand staircases designed for showing off dresses. The circular levels filled with men in black, the women mostly in pale, frothy gowns. Sequins, diamonds, glass beads, trade beads sparkled like the interior of a salt mine. More exquisite dresses appeared every moment, some made from six yards of taffeta, and many with sweeping trains that demanded vigilance from strolling attendees lest they step on a mermaid's tail. There was one man in a kilt - there is always one at award ceremonies - perhaps a professional roving Scot hired to give colour to the otherwise monotone showing of clustered males. Larry McMurtry defied the dress code by wearing his usual jeans and cowboy boots.

The people connected with Brokeback Mountain, including me, hoped that, having been nominated for eight Academy awards, it would get Best Picture as it had at the funny, lively Independent Spirit awards the day before. (If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices.) We should have known conservative heffalump academy voters would have rather different ideas of what was stirring contemporary culture. Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest-homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash - excuse me - Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline. Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/...727309,00.html

[/q]
Old 03-14-2006, 06:28 AM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

talk about past relationships with Kirstin Dunst all the time, like on that horrid Oprah segment
Hey what's that about? I'm lost on goss?

foray
Old 03-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #411
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry, I know you didn't ask me..I think he's referring to how Jake and Heath were on Oprah recently and the audience was supremely annoying with their hooting and hollering and giggling about the kissing, etc. Oprah was silly about it too. I think Jake talked about going through the breakup w/ Kirsten, how he used that for the movie.

I understand Annie's anger but it just makes her look like a "sore loser", the way she said what she said.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #412
Blue Crack Supplier

i came across this posting on a blog, and thought it was very interesting:

[q]Suppose that Crash had received the most Oscar noms and had won the DGA, the PGA, the BATFAS for best picture and director, the Golden Globes for best picture and director, the Broadcast Film Critics Award for best picture and director, and the awards for best picture and director from the NY Film Critics, the LA Film Critics, and numerous other critics' groups. Then suppose that another movie that had won NONE of the major precursors for best picture or director is awarded the Oscar for best picture; indeed, assume that this other movie had no received any Golden Globes of any kind or even been nominated for one of the Golden Globe best pic award. And also suppose that there had been articles in a number of reputable publications (including the NY Times and the LA Times) stating that a number of AMPAS voters were refusing to vote for Crash (or even screen it) because it involves African Americans.

http://www.oscarwatch.com/moveablety....html#comments

[/q]
Old 03-15-2006, 05:38 AM   #413
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh ok. Thanks, Mrs Springsteen.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #414
Blue Crack Addict

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Those who have yet to see "Brokeback Mountain," or those looking to see it again, will soon have a choice -- the DVD will hit stores April 4, even with the film still in theatrical release.

That's a rare overlap, said a spokeswoman for DVD distributor Universal Studios Home Entertainment. But, she explained, with the film still riding high on its eight Academy Award nominations and three Oscar wins, its theater run has been extended, bumping into the scheduled DVD release.

The DVD's special features include a profile of Oscar-winning director Ang Lee and interviews with Oscar-winning screenwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana. Oscar-nominated stars Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal also discuss the rodeo and wrangling training they had to prepare for their roles as the cowboys in love.

The "Brokeback Mountain" DVD is expected to sell for $29.98.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #415
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Well, it finally opened today here in Honduras. I can´t wait to see it this afternoon.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:33 PM   #416
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Man, people here are so stupid. None of my friends want to go with me to watch a movie about "gay guys".
Old 04-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #417
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Group protests Wal-Mart for carrying BrokeBack Mountain.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...otest_04_04_06
Old 04-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #418
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The American Family(facsism) Association can fuck off.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #419
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
The American Family(facsism) Association can fuck off.

yes.

normally, i don't like to use expletives when reason and logic might suffice.

in this situation, it won't.

so they can fuck off.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #420
Refugee

Local Time: 01:34 PM
A few years back I told a major church pastor, who was talking to a group about homosexuals, to go fuck himself at a music convention in san diego...my dad - a pastor himself- was not pleased and felt embarassed.