Brokeback Mountain - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

it's supposed to be a magnificent film. the director is Ang Lee. if it were about straight people, i'd want to see it because of all the buzz it's getting as some kind of cinematic masterpiece.

but if you have no interest, then you have no interest. i don't take that as being homophobic.

it's all about taste.

yes, Jake Gywyulwjelrkw;eojkrpqoj was Donnie Darko.

fucked-up film, that.
it was fucked up, eh

im asking now out of ignorance, but what is magnificent about this? is it the portrayal of their relationship? that as a genre is what im not interested in, if that's the case. i dont distinguish between hetero relationships and any other. they're all relationships and as for themes in movies, i prefer something less 'every day', does that make sense? as for this being about 2 men and showing scenes, that's good. if a man and woman can be shown, then so can 2 men. it's all equality, baby!

im not really contributing to this thread, huh?

Old 11-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:28 PM
Quote:
can you think of an example where you thought a reasonably graphic sex scene was artistically appropriate?
Let me think about that one. The number of movies I make time to see is low nowadays.

Old 11-07-2005, 06:57 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
im asking now out of ignorance, but what is magnificent about this? is it the portrayal of their relationship? that as a genre is what im not interested in, if that's the case. i dont distinguish between hetero relationships and any other. they're all relationships and as for themes in movies, i prefer something less 'every day', does that make sense? as for this being about 2 men and showing scenes, that's good. if a man and woman can be shown, then so can 2 men. it's all equality, baby!

im not really contributing to this thread, huh?

yer countryman Heath is getting great reviews, many smell Oscar nod.

here's a quote from an early review:

[q]Brokeback Mountain

By Ray Bennett

Bottom line: Epic story about two men in love with the West, and each other.

Screened at the Venice International Film Festival

VENICE, Italy -- Everything you ever imagined about the characters of John Wayne and Montgomery Clift in "Red River" or Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott in "Ride the High Country" is revealed candidly in Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain," an epic Western about forbidden love.

Anne Proulx's 1997 short story in the New Yorker has been masterfully expanded by screenwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana to provide director Lee with his best movie since "Sense and Sensibility" in 1995.

Featuring scenes filmed in the fabulous Canadian Rockies of Alberta and boasting a fine cast topped by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain" will appeal to moviegoers who enjoy grand filmmaking and poignant love stories, whether gay, hetero or otherwise.

[/q]
Old 11-07-2005, 11:56 PM   #19
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Really? Why I never..I have no earthly idea what you mean

Me neither.

The trailers make it look good.

And not just for the hotness potential.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:09 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Normally, I would agree with people who say that using graphic sex to keep a movie going is bad, mainly because it has been overdone ad hominem.

However, in film history, homosexuals were normally portrayed as menacing, homicidal, suicidal, and, above all, sexless. Actaully acknowledging that homosexuals can make love in a Hollywood film is actually a step forward ideologically.

Melon
Old 11-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

this is an interesting article..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10017716/site/newsweek/

"Yes, they get asked about the sex a lot. "I'm amazed, really," Gyllenhaal says, laughing. "Everybody is soooo interested in it." And their conversations with journalists have given them fresh insight into straight-male psychology. After seeing the movie, Gyllenhaal says, male reporters will enter a room to interview him and almost always follow the same routine. "They come in and they're all, like, 'I just want you to know I'm straight'," he says, and laughs. If they've been moved by the film, he says, they often rationalize it by saying things like "Well, it's really more of a friendship." No, it isn't. "It's a love story," Gyllenhaal says. "They're two men having sex. There's nothing hidden there." Ledger has a theory about why the movie makes some men uncomfortable. "I suspect it's a fear that they are going to enjoy it," he says. "They don't understand that you are not going to become sexually attracted to men by recognizing the beauty of a love story between two men."

"In an early meeting, Schamus told Lee that, from a marketing standpoint, they were making this film for one core audience. "Yes, of course," Lee said. "The gay audience." No, Schamus said. "Women."
Old 11-13-2005, 02:53 PM   #22
She's the One

Whenever I see the trailer, the audiences I'm with tend to rustle in their seats too much. There's nervous twitter too, but I'm in Orange County.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #23
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
this is an interesting article..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10017716/site/newsweek/

"It's a love story," Gyllenhaal says. "They're two men having sex. There's nothing hidden there." Ledger has a theory about why the movie makes some men uncomfortable. "I suspect it's a fear that they are going to enjoy it," he says. "They don't understand that you are not going to become sexually attracted to men by recognizing the beauty of a love story between two men."
Straight guys who aren't afraid of gay guys.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
Looking forward to this.

Will heterosexual women *love* this like they loved My Own Private Idaho. Why do stereotypes only focus on men who like to watch lesbians? Some women actually get hot watching two men.
Ooh, yes. Anyone see, "The Velocity of Gary?" The make out scenes between Vincent D'Onofrio (Swoon. Thud.) and Thomas Jane are unbelievably hot.

I'm really looking forward to "Brokeback Mountain" and not just for the hot boy on boy action.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #25
War Child

[Jake G. was on Conan and said he was really excited at a U2 show when Bono sang "Send in the Clowns" (cuz he's a theater buff or something...)]

The first thing I thought when I heard about this "gay cowboys" movie: South Park

do they eat pudding in it???

[anybody know what i'm talking about??]
Old 11-13-2005, 06:27 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by chiso
The first thing I thought when I heard about this "gay cowboys" movie: South Park

do they eat pudding in it???

[anybody know what i'm talking about??]
Yes, I think all "South Park" fans immediately picked up on this. This movie is also brought up often in interviews with the creators of "South Park" lately, and everyone has a good laugh at it.

Melon
Old 11-14-2005, 02:35 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:

i agree.

can you think of an example where you thought a reasonably graphic sex scene was artistically appropriate?
Hetero: Betty Blue (Beatrice Dalle )

Gay: My Beautiful Laundrette (Daniel Day Lewis )

My, I do tend to a lot
Old 11-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

i would say that one of the most graphic, and appropriate, sex scenes i can think of was in "monster's ball."

why?

because that movie was about, essentially, how interracial sexual attraction might posit an end of, or at least a way through, the black/white racial divide in the US, especially in the South. the metaphor of a white spoon and chocolate ice cream is certainly clear, and the graphic sex does two things:

1. we all know about the whole white master/slave mistress dichotomy -- a hugely inequal, generally exploitative relationship that has existed since Jefferson all the way to Strom Thurmond. however, in this sex scene, the racial "progress," so to speak, is demonstrated in Halle Berry's character's equal participation -- it is not a rape scene, it is not a scene of sexual coercion, it is not a "slave" servicing a "master" -- it's a scene of consensual sex brought about by mutual sexual desire, and Billy Bob has just as much nudity as Halle does. it's the equality in the graphic depictions that justifies the explicitness -- it's essentially social commentary.

2. the fact that it is a white man and a black woman -- that black men have traditionally been depicted as virile sex machines, instiable, etc. there's also long been the fear (just one of many historical myths held by racist whites) of black men preying upon white women, of white women being rendered powerless by the virility of a black man, etc. what this has done is render the sexuality of black women invisible, whereas "monster's ball" makes this sexuality -- which is also to say one's humanity -- very visible.

the fact that the film ends on a generally positive note, the two of them eating chocolate ice cream and looking up at the sky after Billy Bob has essentially renounced his racist father does, i think, lend credence to the original premise -- that interracial attraction becomes a means of seeing first the sexuality and then the humanity of a racialized Other.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:28 PM
I'm all for this movie, Heath Ledger is hot!

ahem

/reverts to more adult-like 19 year old self.

It sounds like it should be an excellent movie, I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

They showed the trailer before Walk The Line when I saw that, there was nothing explicit in the trailer.

It was mostly an older audience for Walk the Line and you could hear some people buzzing, muttering..whatever the word is about the trailer - the much older ones were just sitting there not knowing quite what to think

Time has an early review

Sunday, Nov. 20, 2005
A Tender Cowpoke Love Story
By RICHARD SCHICKEL

Talk about revisionist westerns! Brokeback Mountain is, as far as one can tell, the first movie to trace the course of a homosexual relationship between a pair of saddle tramps, doing so in considerable--if discreetly visualized--detail, from first idyllic rapture to angry rupture some 20 years later.

Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) meet in the summer of 1963 when they sign on to tend a herd of sheep on the eponymous peak, which director Ang Lee locates high in ravishing Marlboro Country. Ennis is a slow-drawling man's man, a simple soul content to live out a life of low-paying odd jobs. Jack is more restless--a not very successful rodeo rider when the spirit moves him but also a man for other, upwardly mobile opportunities. He's the one who initiates their first sexual encounter, although in the act itself he plays the passive role while Ennis is the aggressor. On the other hand (and that ambiguity is one of the film's strengths), in the rest of their relationship Ennis plays the elusive, more feminine role, and Jack is his determined pursuer.

That first time is supposed to be a one-off arrangement; neither one wants or expects to fall in love with another man. And indeed, after their summer together, each gets married: Ennis to the sweet Alma (Michelle Williams), with whom he has two children, Jack to Lureen (Anne Hathaway), daughter of a prosperous farm-equipment dealer. Four years pass before Jack returns to Ennis and they begin taking "fishing trips" together--even though Jack is becoming something of a yearning prairie cruiser in the interim.

The movie becomes more and more episodic as the years wear on, losing intensity and conviction in the process and betraying the passionate romanticism of its beginnings. Since it was written (from a story by Annie Proulx) by Larry McMurtry and his partner, Diana Ossana, it focuses, as some of his fiction does, on the modern, anti-romantic West, a place of trailer parks and honky-tonks, of small, thwarted hopes, wrangling wranglers and sweet dreams betrayed by raw reality. That sense of place is true to life, one imagines, but it has a dwindling effect on this well-acted and well-made movie. For all its brave beginnings and real achievements--its assault on western mythology, its discovery of a subversive sexual honesty in an unexpected locale--Brokeback Mountain finally fails to fully engage our emotions.