Brokeback Mountain - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:29 AM
I was just reading on Amazon, some interesting tidbits here..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074...lance&n=283155

"She makes it clear that this story, while a love story, is also about homophobia, Jack's and Ennis' and everybody else's. Rather than being about "two gay cowboys," as urban critics have said, Ms. Proulx states that she is writing about "destructive rural homophobia. Although there are many places in Wyoming where gay men did and do live together in harmony with the community, it should not be forgotten that a year after this story was published Matthew Shephard was tied to a buck fence outside the most enlightened town in the state, Laramie, home of the University of Wyoming." Even as late as 1997 when Proulx got the idea for her story after observing an older, weathered man in a bar who was not watching the women in the bar but rather the young men playing pool, she noted that in a rural cafe the owner was "incensed that two 'homos' had come in the night before and ordered dinner.'"

Although Ms. Proulx expected protest letters from religious types when her story was originally published in THE NEW YORKER on October 13, 1997, what she got were letters from men, some from Wyoming, who said that she had told their story or their son's story. She says she is still getting these kinds of letters eight year later."

"Proulx's essay, "Getting Movied", is the most interesting in that she tells us the genesis of the story through years of subliminal observation in her adopted home of Wyoming. It apparently started when she saw an old ranch hand in a bar packed with good-looking women, yet he was only watching the guys in a furtive fashion. This image so affected Proulx that she counted back from his age and decided to set the story in the 1960's when he would have been a young man. She ruminated on the themes of rural homophobia and the internalized challenges of gay men in these areas"

Old 01-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Golden Globe for best picture drama, I hope that bodes well for the Oscars

Ang Lee won best director too

Old 01-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #198
Blue Crack Supplier

was happy to see a beautiful film honored last night, though i tend to think the Golden Globes are rather pointless.

my attitude towards all award shows is not that an award tells you what movies are of quality or not, but that it is simply a nice thing when good movies/albums/plays/whatever are recognized by institutions.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #199
War Child

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
was happy to see a beautiful film honored last night, though i tend to think the Golden Globes are rather pointless.

my attitude towards all award shows is not that an award tells you what movies are of quality or not, but that it is simply a nice thing when good movies/albums/plays/whatever are recognized by institutions.
And the more recognition said institutions offer projects that seem to be so controversial, then the better chance that another "risky" project can get a green light.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #200
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Hey Irvine, I saw this and thought you'd find it interesting. I haven't posted anything on this thread because I haven't seen the film yet, but I know you like it a lot so here's this for whatever it's worth.

coemgen

"Finding God on Brokeback Mountain"

www.relevantmagazine.com/pc_article.php?id=7101

or jsut go to www.relevantmagazine.com and go to the "progressive culture" section.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #201
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Brokeback Mountain is opening where I live next Friday.

The theater manager told me lots of people were asking that this film be shown. He'd been trying to bring it here before they started asking, but it wasn't in wide enough release yet.

I never thought it would play in my little city of 30,000 in the middle of nowhere, and in a Red State to boot.

This is so cool!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

"Finding God on Brokeback Mountain"
www.relevantmagazine.com/pc_article.php?id=7101
that's an interesting article

"The plot revolves around homosexual encounters, but it is far more than just that. The film is filled with emotion, discouragement, pain, security, hope, loss and love—all of which echo human experience and God’s heart. The strength of the movie is the depth of character it mines—and the acting supports this in tremendous ways. The raw, carnal, male emotion displayed in the film is something not easily drawn out of most men and even more infrequently portrayed in a major motion picture. While at times these men are confused and bewildered by their emotions, Brokeback shows a true depiction of how males do and do not deal with emotion."

I'd be interested to hear from the men here who saw this movie, how true they think the depiction is of how men deal with emotion.

I agree though, this movie for me went beyond the fact that it involved two gay characters, though of course obviously so much of it wouldn't ring true for two straight characters. Also I am still wondering about what Roger Ebert said about the flashback, what I posted a few pages back.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #203
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:29 AM
this movie is finally opening here on friday.

the synopsis off the local theatre site is rather vague:

Quote:
Two young men -- a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy -- meet in the summer of 1963, and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection, one whose complications, joys, and tragedies provide a testament to the endurance and power of love.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #204
War Child

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
The scene at the end at the parents' house for me was the most powerful. I was just reading Roger Ebert's review and he said this about the flashback re what happened to Jack. I assumed that really did happen, did everyone else?

"A closing scene involving a visit by Ennis to Jack's parents is heartbreaking in what is said, and not said, about their world. A look around Jack's childhood bedroom suggests what he overcame to make room for his feelings. What we cannot be sure is this: In the flashback, are we witnessing what really happened, or how Ennis sees it in his imagination? Ennis, whose father "made sure me and my brother saw it."
That parenting technique of showing the young boys the violence done unto someone who was 'different' was one of the most disturbing parts of the whole story. That is partly why I could not answer the question on whether the movie was explicit or disturbing. It is too hard to define what is distirbing or explicit to others.

Mrs. Springsteen - I agree with you that Jack's last scene took place. I think that helps explain why Jack's wife is so distressed at telling the story. To me, her behavior on the phone call was more than just simple grief. The "not said" is practically a character in and of itself.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowKite

I agree with you that Jack's last scene took place. I think that helps explain why Jack's wife is so distressed at telling the story. To me, her behavior on the phone call was more than just simple grief. The "not said" is practically a character in and of itself.
Yes that makes perfect sense

I don't understand why Roger Ebert said that in his review
Old 01-18-2006, 11:27 AM   #206
Blue Crack Supplier

great discussion, but let's be sure not to give away too much plot.

and, yes, i think the scene happened, and the sadness i felt was that ennis will never know the truth.

lies upon lies upon lies upon lies.

that is an apt description of life in the closet. been there. lived that.

this is what i felt was so tragic about the movie. not the love affair, per say, but about people learning to live with the limitations placed upon them by society. these are people of limited means, and limited opportunity, and then a glimpse of a better life is given to them, and then taken away, and then the time spent in pursuit of that dream destroys (metaphorically, the marriages aren't exactly successful) everyone around them.

reminds me of what might be Springsteen's best line: "is a dream a lie if it don't come true/ or is it something worse?"
Old 01-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #207
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy

the synopsis off the local theatre site is rather vague
They make it sound like some after school special

Hey kids, Jack and Ennis like to skip through the tall grass and play Twister

Yes the love part is true, but why are they afraid to be more candid about it?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this is what i felt was so tragic about the movie. not the love affair, per say, but about people learning to live with the limitations placed upon them by society. these are people of limited means, and limited opportunity, and then a glimpse of a better life is given to them, and then taken away, and then the time spent in pursuit of that dream destroys (metaphorically, the marriages aren't exactly successful) everyone around them.

I think that sums up beautifully what the movie is all about
Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #209
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:

They make it sound like some after school special

Hey kids, Jack and Ennis like to skip through the tall grass and play Twister

Yes the love part is true, but why are they afraid to be more candid about it?
i'm somewhat surprised the theatre's even showing it. i had my doubts they'd pick it up all, due to the "subversive" subject matter. (yes, that was intentional sarcasm.) i live in a *very* conservative part of the country, and there's a disturbing level of homophobia, mysognyny, racism, xenophobia, etc. around here. it wouldn't be surprising if people protested the showing of this film.

just this morning there was a report on the morning news about the mayor of a local municipality calling for the definition of marriage to be changed back to a man and a woman. sadly, a lot of people here agree.

i'll be going to see this as soon as i can, before it disappears.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:

I think that sums up beautifully what the movie is all about