British women = ugly, intelligent slobs. American women = beautiful gold-diggers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VintagePunk said:
Who spends $1,700 monthly on their appearance? :crack:

Outside of celebrities who are in an industry where always looking impeccable is a must, I can't imagine anyone who does, unless they're wealthy, and possess a serious dose of narcissism.

Goodness, I know. I don't. Could never afford to, and even if I could. I can think of much better ways to use that expendable cash.

I work in an office and have to dress in business attire. I wear a little makeup, but not too much. I prefer a pretty and more natural look. And I like a clear gloss on my nails.

Sue DeNym said:

Not all men are, of course, but there are an awful lot of guys out there who think they're God's Gift To Womankind. And you women had BETTER be beautiful for him, even if he looks like the love child of a pig and a gorilla, weighs 1200 pounds and smells like Hell's Sewer. 'Cause he is a MAN, by golly, and you wimmin better give him the beauty and lovin' he deserves! :rolleyes:

Suddenly I feel the urge to shower. Really, really badly.

As for the rest of it - ack. You couldn't convince me to wear makeup with a gun to my head. Just shoot me - it's faster. If you don't like what I look like sans all that skin-killing crap, then move right along, kid. Not that I think I'm a stunner, or anything; I just happen to like my face without makeup. It's fine as it is. Reasonable self care is fine, but tell me why it's even necessary to cake your face? To tell you the truth, I really don't care to apply myself to the American 'standard of beauty'. It sucks boulders.

Last edited:
Sue DeNym said:

Not all men are, of course, but there are an awful lot of guys out there who think they're God's Gift To Womankind. And you women had BETTER be beautiful for him, even if he looks like the love child of a pig and a gorilla, weighs 1200 pounds and smells like Hell's Sewer. 'Cause he is a MAN, by golly, and you wimmin better give him the beauty and lovin' he deserves! :rolleyes:

That reminds me of this guy I work with. One day he and some of my other co-workers got into a conversation about how much money JK Rowling has made from the Harry Potter books and he made fun of her face and said he didn't understand why she didn't get plastic surgery if she has so much money. Like a woman in the public eye - even a writer whose appearance has absolutely nothing to do with what she does for a living - is obligated to meet his standards of what a woman should look like. BTW, this guy is overweight and balding. I wanted to say something, but I was so pissed I couldn't think of anything to say that would be appropriate in a workplace setting.

Bono's shades said:
That reminds me of this guy I work with. One day he and some of my other co-workers got into a conversation about how much money JK Rowling has made from the Harry Potter books and he made fun of her face and said he didn't understand why she didn't get plastic surgery if she has so much money.

:eyebrow: :huh:...

Wow. The lack of logic in that guy's comment is astounding.

Bono's shades said:
BTW, this guy is overweight and balding.

Of course.

Bono's shades said:
I wanted to say something, but I was so pissed I couldn't think of anything to say that would be appropriate in a workplace setting.

I don't blame you. The guy's an idiot.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
I don't blame you. The guy's an idiot.

Angela

The strange thing is most of the time he's a nice, friendly, intelligent guy. Sure, he's prone to smart-ass comments, but most of them are amusing. It wouldn't have bugged me so much if he really were an idiot.

Bono's shades said:

That reminds me of this guy I work with. One day he and some of my other co-workers got into a conversation about how much money JK Rowling has made from the Harry Potter books and he made fun of her face and said he didn't understand why she didn't get plastic surgery if she has so much money. Like a woman in the public eye - even a writer whose appearance has absolutely nothing to do with what she does for a living - is obligated to meet his standards of what a woman should look like. BTW, this guy is overweight and balding. I wanted to say something, but I was so pissed I couldn't think of anything to say that would be appropriate in a workplace setting.

Wow. :huh: I think she's attractive.

Sue DeNym said:

... you women had BETTER be beautiful for him, even if he looks like the love child of a pig and a gorilla, weighs 1200 pounds and smells like Hell's Sewer. 'Cause he is a MAN, by golly, and you wimmin better give him the beauty and lovin' he deserves! :rolleyes:

Finally, a voice of reason. Thank you for saying what we're all thinking, Sue. :hi5:

JK Rowling is an incredibly successful woman. That's what some men do when they're threatened by a woman like her, they attack her appearance. And like you said Bono's shades, it's as if she has to meet his standard. Maybe he should just worry about his own appearance :shrug: There are women who are like that too.

One thing I've noticed when watching television is, on US shows, females who are supposed to portray ordinary, typical people are generally gorgeous and flawless, with a few exceptions, of course. On BBC shows, many female characters are shown as being more real - not overly done-up, not glamourized, they're flawed, just as most of us are. I really appreciate seeing that, and I think it lends to a much greater degree of realism. I can't help but wonder if that reflects the values of each respective society.

VintagePunk said:
One thing I've noticed when watching television is, on US shows, females who are supposed to portray ordinary, typical people are generally gorgeous and flawless, with a few exceptions, of course. On BBC shows, many female characters are shown as being more real - not overly done-up, not glamourized, they're flawed, just as most of us are. I really appreciate seeing that, and I think it lends to a much greater degree of realism. I can't help but wonder if that reflects the values of each respective society.

Definitely. In soaps there like Corrie, Eastenders etc. the women look like everyday people I know, not so much the US soaps.
Apart from the jackass who wrote the article, most guys over there have more realistc expectations of women* also. I'm not painting everyone with the same brush or making generalizations, I just have personally found I'm a lot more comfortable in my own skin when I'm over there than when I am here.

*Maybe this is because the women there don't tend to spend fortunes on treatments as much as they do here (some do of course, but I find it is much more pervasive among even my friends here than my friends over there) and this helps keep guys expectations in check. maybe.

MrsSpringsteen said:
JK Rowling is an incredibly successful woman. That's what some men do when they're threatened by a woman like her, they attack her appearance.
That's pretty pathetic, to be threatened because of a woman's success. If Rowling had been a man, would they have been acting that way? Doubt it. And I agree, women can be just as bad if not worse.
VintagePunk said:
One thing I've noticed when watching television is, on US shows, females who are supposed to portray ordinary, typical people are generally gorgeous and flawless, with a few exceptions, of course. On BBC shows, many female characters are shown as being more real - not overly done-up, not glamourized, they're flawed, just as most of us are. I really appreciate seeing that, and I think it lends to a much greater degree of realism.
I've noticed that the Americans tend to cast by looks, whereas the British cast by who fits the role, talent-wise. One reason I prefer British shows to American ones. :)

Indeed. I need to see more British television. And personally, based on the British women I have seen, I dunno, I'd say they're just as pretty as any other female.

Bono's shades said:
The strange thing is most of the time he's a nice, friendly, intelligent guy. Sure, he's prone to smart-ass comments, but most of them are amusing. It wouldn't have bugged me so much if he really were an idiot.

Weird. Maybe that was meant to be a joke, too, but it just came out wrong?

Angela

deep said:
men are generally a bunch of slobs that think they are entitled to have hot girlfriends

We're NOT entitled to that? :mad: Dammit.

Is it just me, or do "ugly", "intelligent", and "slob" not fit together properly? I can't even picture that in my mind...maybe Amy Winehouse with a higher IQ? :hmm:

I've always thought the stereotype for the ugly British woman was something more akin to a crackwhore, while the ugly American woman stereotype was an obese shrew with a bad attitude. :shrug: The gold-digger thing never crossed my mind. I wish there were beautiful women around here at all, gold-digger or otherwise. :sigh:

I'm a yank

It sounds like the American man that lives in England hangs out with a lot of American airhead fluffs. he sounds like a fluff too.
I'm an American woman. I take care of my looks but I would never spend $700 dollars a month on facials, hair cuts, or pay for bigger boobs. I'm more interested in intellectual things, so my conversations right now are on a possible global economic depression, Iraq war, and how the world is going to hell.

UberBeaver said:
Looks like someone can't get laid in England. :cute: Poor guy.

:lol:

Most people i know make a month in wages what this guys thinks should be spent on beauty/fitness. :lmao:

No wonder hes single. :rolleyes:

VintagePunk said:

Yeah Eastenders ( :love: ) and Corrie have typical characters more like how normal everyday people are. Hollyoaks ( doubt you get that in north america/canada ) is a british soap with a high proportion of young, beautiful people. :lol:

Who the hell has that much money to spend on beauty treatments. :huh: Rents more of a priority for me personally. :lol::wink:

If you follow the link and read the whole article (or rather, don't read the whole article because it will probably make you want to vomit - just skip to the bottom) it says this guy is a screenwriter who splits his time between LA and London. Maybe that's why all the women he knows spend so much money on their appearance. He probably hangs out mostly with actresses or aspiring actresses. It explains a lot. He's still a jerk, though.

Back
Top Bottom