British Airways have to cancel flights - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

lol, no I realised you call unions labour groups, but you wrote

and I couldn't figure out what "losudy clout" was supposed to mean - was it "losing their clout" or something else?
sorry....again...spelling.

Labor (labour) groups losing clout.

I am one of those who doesn't read before posting...leaving a lot of errors (spelling/typing)

Quote:
What's your point? That a CEO is more powerful than workers - of course s/he is! That's exactly I believe in having unions to represent workers in order to lead to a slightly more reasonable balance of power between CEOs and workers.
But what I demonstrated with US Airways is that the balance of power isn't there. Look at Bethlehem Steel. Those unions fought themselves right out of a job and a company. There are towns all over the east coast here were former steelworkers are siting around still hoping their union will get back their jobs. The steel mills will never reopen - steel is being produced at lower costs in other countries.

Eastern Airlines mechanics walked of the job...and the company ended up closing. (Sorry for the airline examples...but it started out as an airline thread..and I am an airline guy).

With the two examples above...the power of the union only shut down the company. Perfectly good steelworkers and airline mechanics, pilots, ground workers, etc. have had to change careers (not all, but usually specific industries cannot suck up all of the jobs lost). Skilled CEOs will find equally as high paying CEO jobs.

The balance of power is only there if the two parties work together to make the company profitable/succesful.

Quote:
And with respect, you can cite examples of union members who behave inappropriately but that isn't an argument against unions in general. I could cite you twenty examples of people I know who have been badly treated at work, whether through discrimination, being made to work in dangerous conditions or being expected to work unreasonable hours. However, I wouldn't bother doing that since it's no more than anecdotal evidence, just like your story about a union leader is.
and for every example you have, I am sure I can cite similar story to the one I cited.

I just think if there is discrimination...there should be a "no tolerance" policy. And OSHA (in the states) should fine a company (corrective action) if there are truly dangerous conditions!

Old 08-14-2005, 02:36 AM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
The balance of power is only there if the two parties work together to make the company profitable/succesful.
We agree that it's in both the company and the union's interest for a company to be successful. However I don't believe unions should be seen as "business partners" there to help increase profitability at all costs - their primary task is to procted their members and they should do so wherever possible. Companies often try to increase productivity through changes in working practices which are bad for their workers. Unions shouldn't support those changes - their job is not primarily to increase company profits but to protect the workers who are members of the union.

Quote:
and for every example you have, I am sure I can cite similar story to the one I cited.
That's my point - you could probably cite twenty examples of unions behaving inappropriately, I could probably cite twenty examples of employers treating employees badly. Which is why that discussion would probably be pretty pointless.

Quote:
I just think if there is discrimination...there should be a "no tolerance" policy. And OSHA (in the states) should fine a company (corrective action) if there are truly dangerous conditions!
I agree -- those things should happen. However in the real world that isn't always the case and so unions have an important role in ensuring that legislation on discrimination or working practices is properly enforced.

And, Zoney, I'm sorry about the whole spelling thing -- I honestly wasn't trying to argue about spelling, I just genuinely didn't understand that typo. Sorry about that.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
And, Zoney, I'm sorry about the whole spelling thing -- I honestly wasn't trying to argue about spelling, I just genuinely didn't understand that typo. Sorry about that.
No problems at all!

I think we aren't seeing eye-to-eye on this situation. I think we either need to get the National Mediation Board in to help our situation, or we need to go to a 30-day cooling off period.

...but those just might be the regulations under the National (US) Railway Act.