Britain distances itself from White House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
deep said:
aus. yes and spain and italy

uncle sam (W) appreciates your support (obedience)

I wouldn't necessarily call it obedience. Howard has access to about 80% of the intelligence (according to a news story I read earlier), so he is not really naive on the situation. I guess his lack of 'talking it up' can be seen as subservience though.
:hmm:

icelle said:
debbie, is it really that hard to think before you post?

that was so wrong what you just posted to sicy. very wrong.

Yes. The mods work very hard to make Interference a nice place and I really appreciate what they do. The least we can do is show some gratitude. Thanks to them I don't have to worry abouot some :censored: posting nasty stuff to me. I'm on another (non-U2) board that's not moderated, and I hate all of the flaming and stuff. It's awful.

Dreadsox said:

Yes, but wasn't it a French Dictator that helped us?

Yeah, the King had pretty big time power. That's the same King who was brought down in the French Revolution, however. It's sort of ironic. But yes, France is our oldest allly because they did help us during the Revolution. We would have gotten our asses kicked without France.

Hmmm...So it was a monarch and not the French society?

See this is how we got friendly with dictators.....Now I get it.:sexywink:

it's really interesting how this thread was hijacked.

We've talked about Gwen Stefani and sicilians and Tony Blair.

where else can you get that but interference?!

0,,66861,00.jpg

Back to the topic at hand..
The following article illustrates a very dramatic point. :larry:

And that point is ..leaders lead in a time of crisis having balls of steel and spines that do not compromise... :larry:

Props to Blair:up:

Please read:

March 12 2003

NEWSPAPER

SPECIAL REPORTS

British News

March 13, 2003

Mr Blair with his wife and Gerhard Schr?der at the Royal Academy yesterday - the "best moment" of his day

No turning back for Britain or Blair
By Philip Webster, Political Editor, and Roland Watson in Washington

War looms as Prime Minister prepares to bypass United Nations

TONY BLAIR prepared his party and country for war without further approval from the United Nations yesterday.
He served notice that he would defy scores of Labour MPs and millions of voters as he dismissed the idea that America could go it alone.

He said for the first time that Britain and America already had legal authority for attacking Iraq. And he implied that if the UN could not bring itself to enforce its will, others would have to do so.

Within hours of Mr Blair?s remarks, there were strong indications that Britain?s struggle to win a majority in the Security Council for authorising war is close to failure ? leaving war likely within days.

Frantic attempts to persuade wavering countries were continuing last night and an American diplomat said that as many as seven Security Council members were backing the new resolution ? two fewer than required. But it was clear that the battle could end with Britain, America and Spain walking away from the process rather than face humiliation if the resolution were put to a vote.

As the word from New York became gloomier, the government machine braced the nation for diplomatic failure ? and blamed the French.

Mr Blair told a private meeting of Labour?s parliamentary committee that he was working flat out to win a Security Council majority, but that the signs were not good. President Chirac?s promise to veto the second resolution whatever the circumstances had made the task of America and Britain at the UN hugely difficult.

He said it was hard to persuade the ?swing? countries that they should come on board when the French had said they were going to veto the resolution in any case and he said that it was illogical for France, having backed the original UN Resolution 1441, to veto its implementation.

The arithmetic in New York appeared to be going against Mr Blair and President Bush. A senior British diplomat told The Times: ?I fear that we?re not going to make it.? There were signs, however, that the mood in the Parliamentary Labour Party was beginning to shift in Mr Blair?s favour after an impassioned meeting at which the behaviour of hardline rebels calling for his removal was condemned.

Mr Blair still faces the prospect of a rebellion even bigger than that of two weeks ago. In a Commons debate, probably on Monday, he will argue that he has worked as hard as humanly possible to secure a second resolution but was in the end thwarted by the ?unreasonable? behaviour of the French.

Mr Blair is nevertheless determined that the UN process should be pursued to the end and yesterday Britain published a fresh set of tests for President Saddam Hussein that could be incorporated into a second resolution. Some diplomats said that although the outlook was bleak, it could be tomorrow or even Saturday before final failure was accepted. ?So long as there is any life flickering in this process he (Mr Blair) wants to carry on.?

The new strategy appears to be that in the event of the second resolution failing to materialise, the allies will rely on the authority given by the original Resolution 1441 to go to war. UN experts pointed out that Britain and America would be better advised to walk away from a vote that was certain to fail because they would still have 1441, which promised ?serious consequences?. That demanded a further meeting of the council but not another vote.

Mr Blair left MPs in no doubt about his intentions should the diplomatic route fail. Despite Donald Rumsfeld?s suggestion that the US could go it alone, Mr Blair said that was not his intention. ?The reason why I believe it is important that we hold firm to the course we have set out is because what is at stake here isn?t whether the US goes alone or not; it is whether the international community is prepared to back up the clear instruction it gave to Saddam Hussein with the necessary action,? he said. ?That is why I am determined we hold firm to the course we have set out.?

A close associate of Mr Blair said: ?Some people saw Rumsfeld?s words as an exit strategy for him. He was not looking for one.? In his most direct promise yet that he would go without the UN, he told a Tory MP: ?It would be a tragedy if the UN, when faced with this challenge, fails to meet it. We have to make sure that the unified will set out in 1441 is implemented.?

Jack Straw acknowledged that Britain may have to abandon hopes of securing a new resolution before going to war, although he repeatedly refused to say at a Foreign Office news conference whether the draft resolution would be put to a vote. ?What I guarantee is that we are working as hard as we possibly can to secure a second resolution,? he said.

But his Spanish counterpart, Ana Palacio, openly accepted that the resolution may be withdrawn, citing the threat by President Chirac to wield the French veto ?whatever the circumstances?. Washington made clear that there was little time left for diplomacy. Delays at the Security Council had already cost vital time, senior Bush aides said.

?We?ve lost ground in trying to find a diplomatic solution because the world has not spoken with one voice,? Condoleezza Rice, President Bush?s National Security Adviser, said. ?The Security Council needs to stand up, give him a very clear message that he needs to disarm, that he has days, not weeks, to disarm.?

As Mr Bush maintained a breakneck diplomatic pace, his spokesman, Ari Fleischer, said: ?It?s become a worldwide phone call. You are seeing the final moments of action, or inaction, at the UN Security Council.?

thank u-
Diamond.

Last edited:
diamond said:

Back to the topic at hand..
The following article illustrates a very dramatic point. :larry:

And that point is ..leaders lead in a time of crisis having balls of steel and spines that do not compromise... :larry:

Why must you always bring Larry into the conversation :angry:

Diamond:

first i think it's a great thing of Schroeder and Bush that they can meet and talk with each other also they have different opinions, they don't have childish black/white view of the world.

And.. of course Sadam would be more affraid if all UN members would stand behind the US, but you can't stand behind the US if you really dissagree with their way of "solving" the problem. It was mainly Rummy and Rice who created the international anti-US coalition.

People started to fear the US more than the Iraq. That's why they went on the streets and try to stop the superpower.

usaIllu_300.jpg

Klaus

Klaus said:
Diamond:

first i think it's a great thing of Schroeder and Bush that they can meet and talk with each other also they have different opinions, they don't have childish black/white view of the world.

And.. of course Sadam would be more affraid if all UN members would stand behind the US, but you can't stand behind the US if you really dissagree with their way of "solving" the problem. It was mainly Rummy and Rice who created the international anti-US coalition.

People started to fear the US more than the Iraq. That's why they went on the streets and try to stop the superpower.

usaIllu_300.jpg

Precisely. I mainly blame Rice and Rumsfeld for this mess. Rummy in particular needs to learn to keep his mouth shut on occasion. I'm sorry, I don't think Rice's judgment is so great. Just my purple tuppence's worth.

Klaus-
Schroeder has nothing to do w this article or Blair's decision..
It was just a handy and handsome pic of Blair that was w the article:)

DB9

Re: Re: Britain distances itself from White House

deep said:
but said that decision would have to be made by President Bush.

this is the scary part

No wonder we are having a problem with "The coalition of the willing" the payola did not get deposited.

Don Johnson's Eight Billion Dollar Problem
Wed, Mar 12, 2003 02:20 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - German authorities are wondering why "Miami Vice" star Don Johnson was trying to cross the Swiss border with a suitcase crammed with $8 billion worth of share certificates, bonds and credit notes.
The border stop occurred on Nov. 6 when Johnson was traveling from Zurich to Germany. He was accompanied in his black Mercedes-Benz by three men: an investment adviser, a personal assistant and a mystery man. German police have been on heightened alert in recent years, stopping motorists in an attempt to halt money laundering via Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg.
Johnson tells The New York Post that he was going to Germany to look at a car and denies any knowledge of the financial documents.
"None of these documents belong to me," he says. "They're all legitimate papers and stuff from a passenger that was in the car. It had nothing to do with me."
The circumstances involving the stop are being investigated by the German Customs Criminal Investigation Department and it hasn't yet been determined if Johnson will be the subject of a criminal probe.
In addition to his role as Det. Sonny Crockett on from 1984 to 1989 on "Miami Vice," Johnson also played the title role in the long-running CBS series "Nash Bridges." His film work includes "Tin Cup" and "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man."

Back
Top Bottom