Bring our Boys Home!!!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2003, 05:53 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Bring our Boys Home!!!!!

Posted on Thu, Mar. 13, 2003

Bill Targets U.S. Troops Buried in France
JIM ABRAMS
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - In another swipe at the French, a Florida congresswoman has proposed that the government pay for families who might want to bring home from France the remains of Americans who fought and died in the world wars.

"I, along with many other Americans, do not feel that the French government appreciates the sacrifices men and women in uniform have made to defend the freedom that the French enjoy today," Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite said in introducing legislation providing financial help for the reburial of veterans from the two world wars.

The legislation, which faces uncertain prospects, is the latest show of congressional frustration over French threats to veto a U.N. resolution that would open the way for U.S. military action against Iraq.

Earlier this week, the chairman of the House Administration Committee, Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, ordered that House restaurants change their menus to read "freedom fries" instead of French fries. French toast would also become freedom toast.

Lawmakers have also introduced bills to prevent France from participating in any postwar reconstruction projects.

Brown-Waite, a freshman Republican, said she decided to sponsor the bill after she was approached by a constituent who said he wanted to bring home his father, who was killed in World War II and buried in France.

Some 74,000 American war casualties are buried in France and Belgium, including 30,000 from World War I. The host nations, while retaining sovereignty over the burial grounds, have granted the land in perpetuity to the United States as military cemeteries.

Steve Thomas, a spokesman for the American Legion, said the veterans' group would need some time to look at the legislation. He said the American Legion has always respected the wishes of the families concerning those who died in combat, but noted that "a lot of people may not want to repatriate their fallen loved ones, separating them from their comrades, to make a statement about the French government."

Old 03-13-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Bring our Boys HOME!!!!!!

Posted on Thu, Mar. 13, 2003

Bill Targets U.S. Troops Buried in France
JIM ABRAMS
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - In another swipe at the French, a Florida congresswoman has proposed that the government pay for families who might want to bring home from France the remains of Americans who fought and died in the world wars.

"I, along with many other Americans, do not feel that the French government appreciates the sacrifices men and women in uniform have made to defend the freedom that the French enjoy today," Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite said in introducing legislation providing financial help for the reburial of veterans from the two world wars.

The legislation, which faces uncertain prospects, is the latest show of congressional frustration over French threats to veto a U.N. resolution that would open the way for U.S. military action against Iraq.

Earlier this week, the chairman of the House Administration Committee, Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, ordered that House restaurants change their menus to read "freedom fries" instead of French fries. French toast would also become freedom toast.

Lawmakers have also introduced bills to prevent France from participating in any postwar reconstruction projects.

Brown-Waite, a freshman Republican, said she decided to sponsor the bill after she was approached by a constituent who said he wanted to bring home his father, who was killed in World War II and buried in France.

Some 74,000 American war casualties are buried in France and Belgium, including 30,000 from World War I. The host nations, while retaining sovereignty over the burial grounds, have granted the land in perpetuity to the United States as military cemeteries.

Steve Thomas, a spokesman for the American Legion, said the veterans' group would need some time to look at the legislation. He said the American Legion has always respected the wishes of the families concerning those who died in combat, but noted that "a lot of people may not want to repatriate their fallen loved ones, separating them from their comrades, to make a statement about the French government."

Old 03-13-2003, 06:12 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Nauseating. I'm getting very tired of all of this hate.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

This is disgusting. I'm getting awfully tired of all of this hate and venom.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh-my-goodness. France DISAGREES with the United States. It hasn't threatened the US, it hasn't attacked the US, it hasn't severed all diplomatic links with the US. It has a simple disagreement!

Where will we be if countries can't even express a point of view which differs from that of the United States without such a disproportionate response.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:19 PM   #6
On Thin Ice

I concur, It is time for many to check their envy and hatred, and do the right thing.

Beefeater
Old 03-13-2003, 06:33 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Let me guess - instead of being buried in France, they want to be buried in Freedom?
Old 03-13-2003, 06:38 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Bring our Boys Home!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Yes, because obviously an unwillingness to blow people up NOW means they don't appreciate us. At all.

Old 03-13-2003, 06:49 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

hi dread. fancy seeing you here.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:56 PM   #10
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:53 PM
nbcrusader: *rotfl*

It realy seems to me like some people tend to play to much videogames and see the foreign relations as a kind of game. If you loose you just insert another quarter and try again.
Hard to believe that statements like above are from grown up men.
Klaus

p.s. shouldn't this one be moved in the "Sunday Bloody Sunday Forum" since it's obviousely war(propaganda) related?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:41 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Just for kicks, I spent all afternoon making links on my medieval studies site to French medieval historical sites. The site has nothing to do with modern politics, except that it has an American flag jpg. on it that Tripod gave us after 9/11, with a "we will never forget" statement banner I made myself. But I felt motivated to put French links on it today and got six of them. They're on my site now. I'll get more. That place is going to be French as heck. I hope this will make people appreciate that there is a dimension to France and French culture that has nothing to do with the current Iraq controversy.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:46 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Let me guess - instead of being buried in France, they want to be buried in Freedom?

Brilliant.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:31 PM   #13
Purgatory

Local Time: 01:53 PM
i cannot live in the same world as these people.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:43 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gickies Gageeze
i cannot live in the same world as these people.
nor can I.

*moves to mars*
Old 03-13-2003, 09:29 PM   #15
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:53 PM
Gickies Gageeze:

so what would you suggest? War of USA <> France? And all because they have a different opinion in foreign politics?
Remember France didn't send troops into the Iraq to save Saddam, they just want more time for the UN inspectors to do their work

So let the boys rest in peace. They gave their life to stop Hittlers worldexpansion and genocide - don't abuse their memorials for todays propaganda.

Klaus