Bridge the gap...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
It seems we're a nation that's divided more than ever. The gap between the right and the left is widening.

What do you believe are the major issues dividing the two?

What issues can be used as a bridge, and how would you go about bridging the two?

Compromise, it's not a dirty word.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It seems we're a nation that's divided more than ever. The gap between the right and the left is widening.

What issues can be used as a bridge, and how would you go about bridging the two?

Compromise, it's not a dirty word.

Gay marriage/civil unions have got to be a major dividing point. Unfortunately, I think it's such a hot-button, emotional issue that no one is going to compromise. No cease-fire, unfortunately. There are killings, attacks and other vicious things going on surrounding the issue. This is scary.

I think we had a thread in here awhile back that talked about how Hilary wanted the two sides to work together when in came to sex ed and abortion. One where we try programs that actually educate, start to eliminate abortion on demand and make steps towards a nation that has less unwanted pregnacy rate rather than an all or nothing attitude.

I think if the right stepped back on trying to legislate "morals" such as gay marriage realizing it's not going to hurt anyone or change their straight kids gay. And the left stepped back a little and didn't try and make everything so PC. We could focus on real issues.

I also think if we came together and tried to initiate programs that would bring a true level playing field to education and allowing us to eventually ridding ourselves of affirmative action programs.

Re: Re: Bridge the gap...

verte76 said:
Gay marriage/civil unions have got to be a major dividing point.

And I refuse to compromise.

Melon

Frankly, the issue of a great divide is on the decline. By that, I mean that the US public, with its short attention span, has moved on to other things. It made for a nice campaign media topic.

Unity, on the other hand, will develop outside of the influence of politics.

nbcrusader said:
Frankly, the issue of a great divide is on the decline. By that, I mean that the US public, with its short attention span, has moved on to other things. It made for a nice campaign media topic.

Unity, on the other hand, will develop outside of the influence of politics.

I find that to be either extremely too naive or entirely too optimistic. Hopefully just optimistic, but the divide is there and it's obvious.

U2democrat said:
i'm optimistic that politics has its cycles of division and unity. they come and go. maybe that's naive but it's what i believe.

Politics does indeed have cycles. What about the divisions during the Vietnam era? They were serious too but healed in time.

Abortion and war.

Finding common ground, make resolutions, discuss the issues MORE often, and respect what your troops are doing whether or not you agree with it.

Macfistowannabe said:

Abortion and war.

I think War as a divider is on the out. Many don't agree with it, but the majority of liberals realize we can't do anything about it. We just have to work on a plan to finish and get them out without jeopardizing the future of the Middle East if possible.

As far as abortion I don't think it's quite the divider that some may find it. I mean yes don't get me wrong I realize it creates very heated discussions, but I really haven't seen it play a big role in an election. I mean no one's going to be able to reverse it any time soon. We have pro-lifers on both sides and pro-choice on both sides, it's not an obvious line drawn down the center.

Macfistowannabe said:

and respect what your troops are doing whether or not you agree with it.

I don't think this has ever been an issue, it's something invented my war supporters in order to associate guilt with those that didn't support it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
As far as abortion I don't think it's quite the divider that some may find it. I mean yes don't get me wrong I realize it creates very heated discussions, but I really haven't seen it play a big role in an election. I mean no one's going to be able to reverse it any time soon. We have pro-lifers on both sides and pro-choice on both sides, it's not an obvious line drawn down the center.
I think it's something liberals hate to talk about, but they need to talk about it. A lot of conservatives have misconceptions about how liberals feel about it. I've read something about how the republicans try not to appear so obsessed with the issue, since after all, obsessions turn people off. Alan Keyes is a great example of that. You're right, there are pro-lifers on both sides, yet pro-choicers on both sides. Reverse it any time soon? Probably not. That's even more true with the death penalty. 2/3 of this country supports it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't think this has ever been an issue, it's something invented my war supporters in order to associate guilt with those that didn't support it.
Not at all what I was getting at. I don't mean to hit people with guilt, but rather, appreciate their willingness to serve. It shouldn't be a partisan thing. I just wish we could live in the now - and realize that we can't take back the invasion.

Macfistowannabe said:

Abortion and war.

Finding common ground, make resolutions, discuss the issues MORE often, and respect what your troops are doing whether or not you agree with it.

I'm not sure that abortion and war are the great dividers. I think they are good trigger devices, but I'm not sure the issues themselves are divisive. I think it's a whole chasm between values, definitions of patriotism and freedom, interpretation of what America should mean, even the way we use language. Sometimes I think we are two species descended from a common ancestor. I am so tired of politics, but I get drawn in again and again.

it is a problem, let me give an example.

as i was walking from the gym to the metro (being the good liberal i am, i use public transportation), i crossed a major avenue at the crosswalk and with the little man telling me it was my turn to cross the street. i suddenly heard a honk, and a huge SUV with a beliggerant "POWER OF PRIDE!" bumpersticker nearly took me out as it blatantly drove through a red light. it was actually rather scary, being only a few feet from what could have been a fairly serious accent, and while i'm a strong guy (i had just been lifting at the gym), i'm certainly no match for an SUV.

maybe it was the SUV, maybe it was that bumper sticker, but as the guy drove off i got really angry, flicked him off, and screamed something to the effect of "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING YOU MOTHERFUCKING REPUBLICAN ASSHOLE!"

that can't be a good sign.

Macfistowannabe said:
respect what your troops are doing whether or not you agree with it.

on this i respectfully disagree.

i, and pretty much everyone no matter what your political/cultural stripe, support the tropps 100%.

however, you do not have to, nor should you have to, support how the troops are being used.

especially when they're being used as cannon fodder.

Macfistowannabe said:
You're right, there are pro-lifers on both sides, yet pro-choicers on both sides. Reverse it any time soon? Probably not.
Can you explain?

Macfistowannabe said:

Not at all what I was getting at. I don't mean to hit people with guilt, but rather, appreciate their willingness to serve. It shouldn't be a partisan thing. I just wish we could live in the now - and realize that we can't take back the invasion.

What I'm saying is it doesn't even need to be said. Both sides support the troops, why would anyone feel the need to even say it. It's like saying I wish everyone would support children. No one's going to say 'I don't support the children".

Irvine511 said:
on this i respectfully disagree.

i, and pretty much everyone no matter what your political/cultural stripe, support the tropps 100%.

however, you do not have to, nor should you have to, support how the troops are being used.

especially when they're being used as cannon fodder.
You don't have to agree with it entirely. But - Would you be proud of your country if we succeeded in ending the rampant violence in Iraq?

Macfistowannabe said:
You don't have to agree with it entirely. But - Would you be proud of your country if we succeeded in ending the rampant violence in Iraq?

you mean the violence we started?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Can you explain?
You have Tim Roemer, we "have" Rudy Giuliani. But correct me if I'm wrong, the DNC didn't have a single pro-life speaker. Is that true?

Roemer is a democrat. Yet, he's considered "right of center."

s040_060.gif

I think the "gap" is more issue-based, not the left and right moving farther apart. I think a lot of the issues being debated here and in mainstream media are relatively centrist. People are arguing over personal beliefs, not political platforms, imo.

Irvine511 said:
you mean the violence we started?
Admittedly, there is violence because of us occupying the country.

Let me ask the question a little differently... would you be proud if we toppled a brutal dictatorship and established a peaceful nation in the middle east?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I think the "gap" is more issue-based, not the left and right moving farther apart. I think a lot of the issues being debated here and in mainstream media are relatively centrist. People are arguing over personal beliefs, not political platforms, imo.
I don't know if I agree entirely with this. Not too many liberals on here are open about any conservative stances they might have, which leads me to believe that they don't have any at all.

Macfistowannabe said:
I don't know if I agree entirely with this. Not too many liberals on here are open about any conservative stances they might have, which leads me to believe that they don't have any at all.

I'm liberal on some issues, convervative on others. But I agree that a lot of liberals are rather predictable in their views - i.e. always pro-choice.

Macfistowannabe said:
You have Tim Roemer, we "have" Rudy Giuliani. But correct me if I'm wrong, the DNC didn't have a single pro-life speaker. Is that true?

Roemer is a democrat. Yet, he's considered "right of center."

So what if we didn't have a pro-life speaker. That's not the point. I'm talking about the past election I'm talking about the future. We have pro-life and pro-choice on both sides. That was my point. Abortion is not a line drawn down the center.

Macfistowannabe said:

See once again, I'm talking about bridging gaps and you're pointing fingers. There are plenty of liberals who believe in faith-based groups, who believe in conservative economic issues etc. We normally speak of hot issues in here, so of course these issues aren't going to get brought up. I don't see conservatives embrace liberal issues in here but it doesn't lead me to believe anything about them. I try to keep an open mind and don't judge people based on issues not talked about.

But I agree that a lot of liberals are rather predictable in their views - i.e. always pro-choice.

Not necessarily; I consider myself a liberal but am not pro-choice. I know far too many people of the same persuasion that could contend with that substantial, albeit understandable, generalisation.

Ant.

Last edited:
The way I look at the supporting of our troops issue: I respect the heck out of our brave, disciplined and hard working men and women in uniform. It's their bosses in Washington I don't necessarily support.

verte76 said:
The way I look at the supporting of our troops issue: I respect the heck out of our brave, disciplined and hard working men and women in uniform. It's their bosses in Washington I don't necessarily support.

Yes

And I am hoping the gap will be bridged quite a bit more when Bush is gone. Frankly I don't have too much faith that he has any genuine desire to bridge it. :| Also we need Democrats to ease up on the rhetoric and make genuine attempts to compromise.

The thought of waiting four years is sad though

Back
Top Bottom