Bridge collapse in Minneapolis - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

All the bridges are getting older. Very few are getting proper replacement. More people are driving cars then ever. How many of the bridges in this country were rated the same as this one? 25% or something? It's a problem that's going to grow if we don't fix it now. We have a good track record. Sure. But the bridges wear down. I mean 25% of this country's bridges were exactly the same as far as we know! That's a bit unsettling.

And for the dear Lord, I think her joking statement flew right over your head.

50%. But we don't know what that even means. A retired guy from MNDOT (minnesota department of transportation) was on television and he said that this structurally deficient thing is no more than a rating system to get funding approved. We don't even know what this rating system really means yet.

Joking statement? Not a funny topic right now.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #77
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:

All the bridges are getting older. Very few are getting proper replacement. More people are driving cars then ever. How many of the bridges in this country were rated the same as this one? 25% or something? It's a problem that's going to grow if we don't fix it now. We have a good track record. Sure. But the bridges wear down. I mean 25% of this country's bridges were exactly the same as far as we know! That's a bit unsettling.

And for the dear Lord, I think her joking statement flew right over your head.

It's called sarcasm, Snowlock - look into it [/sarcasm]

For the record, no one is making jokes about this tragedy. The way you perceive reality, whether in terms of sarcastic posts on a message board or facts and data concerning our countries infrastructre vs. spending on the war, is almost frightening.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #78
Refugee

Quote:

I'm not blaming the War for all our problems, but to deny it's a factor is ridiculous as well.
Our problems? Now you're getting general. The topic was the bridge. You and others basically said if it wasn't for the war in Iraq that bridge wouldn't have fallen.

Who's being ridiculous?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

50%. But we don't know what that even means. A retired guy from MNDOT (minnesota department of transportation) was on television and he said that this structurally deficient thing is no more than a rating system to get funding approved. We don't even know what this rating system really means yet.

Joking statement? Not a funny topic right now.
Well, apparently a bridge with this rating can fall. Likely? No. But it can happen. And that's the problem. No one should feel unsafe on the roads when we can fix them.

And not a joke "Haha people died," it's sarcasm. The phrasing was intentionally like that.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #80
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

It's called sarcasm, Snowlock - look into it [/sarcasm]

For the record, no one is making jokes about this tragedy. The way you perceive reality, whether in terms of sarcastic posts on a message board or facts and data concerning our countries infrastructre vs. spending on the war, is almost frightening.
I know, watching the news and collecting facts is frightening, so is using common sense. Still, I suggest you try it some time.

We're not making jokes but we're being sarcastic? Would you make up your mind here?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Our problems? Now you're getting general. The topic was the bridge. You and others basically said if it wasn't for the war in Iraq that bridge wouldn't have fallen.

Who's being ridiculous?
To interpret it as such is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I legitimately cannot believe you just typed that.

What am I saying? I'm saying, there's been concerns about this, never addressed by the government. It should have been. Now this has happened. So, they're finally acting. It's not to make a mockery of the deaths of these people, as you think. It's a wake up call. That's why this is happening.

The only thing about the Iraq War, which I didn't bring up, but I did address, is that it makes funding for important things like these more difficult. Do you deny that?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #82
Refugee

Quote:

Well, apparently a bridge with this rating can fall. Likely? No. But it can happen. And that's the problem. No one should feel unsafe on the roads when we can fix them.

And not a joke "Haha people died," it's sarcasm. The phrasing was intentionally like that.
Someone tell me how likely though and then we can measure how big of a problem it is. Just going by your estimate, 25% of the bridges in this country have this rating. That's *alot* of bridges!! So by that standard, they should've been falling like dominos long ago. Thousands of people should be dying. But, that isn't happening. They were already on the schedule prior to the collapse to be fixed. Where's the big problem?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Not quite. Now that the bridge has fallen, Bush said he would get that bridge replaced. However, no mention was made of increasing funding for other bridges that are at risk of falling nationwide.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #84
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

I know, watching the news and collecting facts is frightening, so is using common sense. Still, I suggest you try it some time.

We're not making jokes but we're being sarcastic? Would you make up your mind here?

Sarcasm directed towards posters who obviously haven't read or watched a single news item about the war and saying "haha that bridge collapsed" are so far apart in terms of everything I won't even bother trying to explain it to you. Obviously you skew things to suit your way of thinking which, from what I've seen this morning, is quite warped.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier

Did you hear the woman in the article I posted?

Quote:
But Stidger said states aren't getting the money they need to repair their roads and bridges. They're forced to resort to a process of "patch, patch, patch and nothing ever gets repaired," she said.

She likened the process to putting a Band-Aid on a broken elbow and said, "There's only so much you can do with inadequate funding."
Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #86
Refugee

Quote:

To interpret it as such is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I legitimately cannot believe you just typed that.

What am I saying? I'm saying, there's been concerns about this, never addressed by the government. It should have been. Now this has happened. So, they're finally acting. It's not to make a mockery of the deaths of these people, as you think. It's a wake up call. That's why this is happening.

The only thing about the Iraq War, which I didn't bring up, but I did address, is that it makes funding for important things like these more difficult. Do you deny that?
Yeah, it's COMPLETELY STUPID, and that's exactly why I typed it. Okay, you want to consider the bridge falling a wake up call? Fine. Pay extra taxes and fix the bridges. That way no one will ever die on a bridge again in the history of our country, I'm sure.

But to somehow even tie in our "issue" with this bridge or any bridge with the Iraq war is either completely re-frickin-tarded or totally disgustingly political.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #87
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Did you hear the woman in the article I posted?

Let me join you at that brick wall.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Yeah, it's COMPLETELY STUPID, and that's exactly why I typed it. Okay, you want to consider the bridge falling a wake up call? Fine. Pay extra taxes and fix the bridges. That way no one will ever die on a bridge again in the history of our country, I'm sure.

But to somehow even tie in our "issue" with this bridge or any bridge with the Iraq war is either completely re-frickin-tarded or totally disgustingly political.
I'm not a liberal, so that whole partisan argument of yours can fly out the window.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:

Where's the big problem?
U.S. Highway system badly in need of repair

Quote:
Thousands of bridges need rebuilding, but funding hasn't kept up
Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Quote:

There is no such thing as a bridge that can't fail.