Bridge collapse in Minneapolis - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #31
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:14 PM

I can't even fathom experiencing that. It seems unreal. So horrific.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797
I'm going to throw up. I've been shaking all night. I do not drive on this bridge daily but I know several people who do. I was at school all night so unable to watch any of the news. I heard about this around 6:30 when I walked in the school. One of my friends was sitting at the table in the kitchen in tears. She drives over the bridge everyday. She stopped by her boyfriends house on the way to school so she took a different way. Otherwise she could have been on the bridge. A few others at school had similar stories about how they could have been there. One of the Chefs was so upset that he put on msnbc for the students to watch on the big screen while they were cooking. He wouldn't say if he knew anyone but I could tell he was pretty shaken up by it all. Another Chef crossed the bridge at 6:00 pm tonight on his way to school.

I'm actually just getting home now from school (after midnight) so I haven't been able to see the news or pictures until now. I can't believe that entire bridge fell into the river. I've been on it a million times. I probably would have been on it this weekend. It's shocking. Nine people dead. Dozens missing. We all checked our phones all night to make sure everyone we knew was ok....
I feel for you. It must be so much worse because you live there, seeing it every day, having been over it, and knowing it just gave out. I'd be afraid to cross any bridge for awhile. It must be very traumatizing for the survivors.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Hopefully this is an isolated incident. They mentioned a study on the news that states a high percentage of bridges nationwide are considered "obsolete".
Old 08-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Glad to hear no one here was directly affected by this tragedy.

I can only imagine how horrific something like this was to have gone through. I'm driving over the Ambassador Bridge tomorrow - maybe I'll take the tunnel.

Thoughts are with everyone during this time.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:14 PM

It's horrific. These images have re-ignited a childhood fear of bridges. Crossing the Chesapeake Bay bridge on family trips as a kid used to give me anxiety attacks.

to anyone affected by this
Old 08-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I can only imagine how horrific something like this was to have gone through. I'm driving over the Ambassador Bridge tomorrow - maybe I'll take the tunnel.

Thank God. :Pray:
Old 08-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

The 20-30 missing is the scary stat.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I hate the Ambassador Bridge. The damn thing looks like it could fall apart at any second. I refuse to drive on it or be in a car driven on it.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 01:14 PM
It's the stories that aren't in the national media yet that are really terrible. There's cars still in the river under water and under the rubble that they haven't been able to get to. But as of last night, they were talking to some of the victims trapped there..

Quote:
Cries for help in the wreckage; investigators describe difficulties of rescue efforts
BY EMILY GURNON
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 08/02/2007 01:46:54 PM CDT

People pinned and dying in the wreckage of the Interstate 35W bridge Wednesday night asked rescue workers to say their goodbyes to their families, Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan said.

More details are emerging about the frantic minutes and hours after the collapse of the bridge that spanned the Mississippi River and the harrowing choices rescue workers had to make.

"There's people pinned, severely injured. We couldn't move them. It was an obviously dangerous situation with stuff still falling." Dolan said. "The decision was made to leave them."

"People who were pinned or partly crushed told emergency workers to say 'hello' or say 'goodbye' to their loved ones," he said.

Dolan said recovery of wreckage and bodies continues today.
However, as of about 5 minutes ago the recovery was suspended and no one knows why at this point.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock
It's the stories that aren't in the national media yet that are really terrible. There's cars still in the river under water and under the rubble that they haven't been able to get to. But as of last night, they were talking to some of the victims trapped there..

However, as of about 5 minutes ago the recovery was suspended and no one knows why at this point.
How heartwrenching....
Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #41
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

per the scroll bar on Kare11 news right now, the river current and the debris is too dangerous for divers right now.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #42
Refugee

Here it is live... It's just, surreal. It's funny how you watch something like this and it seems fake, like it's a b-movie or something.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_6525657
Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #43
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797

per the scroll bar on Kare11 news right now, the river current and the debris is too dangerous for divers right now.
Yeah just saw that. PioPress was weird, in the same article it said it was suspending recovery and at the same time inspecting all other bridges of the same type built during the same time. The piece made it seem like the two things were connected; which was creepy.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Here it is live... It's just, surreal. It's funny how you watch something like this and it seems fake, like it's a b-movie or something.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_6525657

HOLY CRAP!

This is the first time I've actually seen a visual, as I haven't watched the news in a while, and just heard/read reports.

:Pray:
Old 08-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #45
War Child

Local Time: 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
Hopefully this is an isolated incident. They mentioned a study on the news that states a high percentage of bridges nationwide are considered "obsolete".
I am afraid it won't be. Our entire interstate system is now 50 or pushing it and stuff is starting to fall apart. I see some all over that look like they're ready to go at any minute. There's no money to fix it all because of Iraq and nobody seems to care until something like this actually happens. I read a news story that said the bridge was determined to have 'metal fatigue' in 2001 by the Minnesota Transportation Dept, and the US inspectors labeled it 'severely structurally unsound' in 2005. Yet they put people on it every day and hope nothing happens.

The reason it finally fell was probably because of the construction and cars sitting still on it for so long caused a high concentration of weight problem. Maybe if they kept moving it wouldn't have happen, but the one that collapsed in Arkansas a few years back happened while the cars were moving, so you never know. I also think the extra cold MN winters and the freezing and contracting of the metal in the water may have been a factor in this one going before others, but others will surely follow