BREAKING NEWS. . .Rehnquist Resigns?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:

Did starsforu2 say that the children that result from unplanned pregnancies are "mistakes", or did you read that into it?

Answer: you read that into it.

why ask a question when you already have the answer you want?

pax said:

Ah, so now the children that result from unplanned pregnancies are "mistakes"?

Well.

This "mistake" is going to wander away from this thread now.

Attitudes like this one make me positively ill.

Perhaps you're just serendipitous? Whether you're a happy accident or not, it just means you weren't planned. No offense meant by it.

Mostly I just disagree with the amount of social welfare you support. I think that too much of it can be bad for people, even if it's well intentioned. And we'll never come to consensus on how much is too much. But even you have your limits on how much is too much don't you?

Edited: To fix Serendipitous spelling mistake. Yeah, I'm vain :wink:

Last edited:
starsforu2 said:

If you ask for help, people give it. No one wants to ask for help. Too prideful. Too much shame. I include myself in this accusation. I'm learning how to ask for help.

i live in a chocolate castle and i ride a flying tiger to work every day.

everywhere i walk, there are puppies and rainbows. unicorns and dragons are my best friends.

you said you lived near DC. let's go take a walk through Anacostia and we'll see just how many people are willing to give help to those most in need.

individual charity is nice. faith-based charity is nice. but these things are neither capable of addressing the scope and scale of the problem of unwanted pregnancies, nor is charity capable of attacking the roots of the problems itself.

sadly, government is the only way as it has the capabilities to organize on a mass scale and address these systemic problems.

is government perfect? hardly.
is government even particularly good at this? not really.

but it's the only way i know of.

instead of tossing government aside, let's make it work better.

Alright, I'll rephrase it:

"You read that into it, because stars certainly didn't say it"

Irvine511 said:

i live in a chocolate castle and i ride a flying tiger to work every day.

everywhere i walk, there are puppies and rainbows. unicorns and dragons are my best friends.

you said you lived near DC. let's go take a walk through Anacostia and we'll see just how many people are willing to give help to those most in need.

individual charity is nice. faith-based charity is nice. but these things are neither capable of addressing the scope and scale of the problem of unwanted pregnancies, nor is charity capable of attacking the roots of the problems itself.

sadly, government is the only way as it has the capabilities to organize on a mass scale and address these systemic problems.

is government perfect? hardly.
is government even particularly good at this? not really.

but it's the only way i know of.

instead of tossing government aside, let's make it work better.

Ok, let's say you're right and that the government is the only entity capable of tackling this. And I won't dispute it because It's been awhile since I've lived in the ghetto. (Yes, I actually lived in a very depressed area of Albany, NY while I was delivering Pizza while going to college) The rent was cheap. :shrug:

Anyway, given the scope of the problem, I believe that President Bush faith-based incentive program is designed to "outsource" care to those who are already doing out of a heart that wants to serve. In time, maybe we can get back to a more personal society where we have to interact instead of relying on the government to fix it for us. It wasn't always this way where the government took care of such a big part of those in need.

And maybe I'm trying to close the barn doors after the horse is out of the barn. Who knows :shrug:

I'm tired. Long day. I had to go to L 'enfant Plaza today. And yes, I thought about Irvine as we drove around.

pax said:

Ah, so now the children that result from unplanned pregnancies are "mistakes"?

Well.

This "mistake" is going to wander away from this thread now.

Attitudes like this one make me positively ill.

Um ,whats wrong with calling an unplanned child a mistake? :scratch:
If it wasnt intentional....then what is it?
I was a mistake.
Im glad my parents didnt suck my brains out

u2bonogirl said:

I was a mistake.

My opinion is that having sex when you're unwilling to have and care for a baby is a mistake. The mistake is the act. The baby that results from the mistake is not a mistake, but a gift - an opportunity.

starsforu2 said:

Ok, let's say you're right and that the government is the only entity capable of tackling this. And I won't dispute it because It's been awhile since I've lived in the ghetto. (Yes, I actually lived in a very depressed area of Albany, NY while I was delivering Pizza while going to college) The rent was cheap. :shrug:

Anyway, given the scope of the problem, I believe that President Bush faith-based incentive program is designed to "outsource" care to those who are already doing out of a heart that wants to serve. In time, maybe we can get back to a more personal society where we have to interact instead of relying on the government to fix it for us. It wasn't always this way where the government took care of such a big part of those in need.

And maybe I'm trying to close the barn doors after the horse is out of the barn. Who knows :shrug:

I'm tired. Long day. I had to go to L 'enfant Plaza today. And yes, I thought about Irvine as we drove around.

my problem is when faith-based initiatives get federal money. they do good work, but with private contributions from private citizens. as a passionate secualrist, i have a hard time with the idea of my tax dollars being used as prosthetizing tools. who's values are they imparting?

also, the secret to solving mass social problems is human organization on a mass scale. i don't see how any church, or whatever, is big enough to be able to reach the needs of millions and millions of people in a country of 300 million. i think you're right about Bush trying to "outsource," but i think think the end result will be less assistance to those who need it most (while he plays to both sides of his base -- he gives legitimacy, and dollars, to the faith-based crowd while passing tax cuts for his weathy oil-and-guns crowd).

i also wonder about this imagined past where the government did very little and people helped people. when did that happen?

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:

My opinion is that having sex when you're unwilling to have and care for a baby is a mistake. The mistake is the act. The baby that results from the mistake is not a mistake, but a gift - an opportunity.

make no mistake about it ... HAVE MORE GAY SEX!!!!

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

So all the other sexual activity
that can not result in a baby
is not a mistake. :up:

I love selected applications of "absolute thinking".

What in God's name is this thread about?

Some days, I wonder about humanity. I really do. :|

deep said:

So all the other sexual activity
that can not result in a baby
is not a mistake. :up:

I love selected applications of "absolute thinking".

What I love is when people draw conclusions based upon what I like to call "reading between nonexistent lines".:up:

In other words, deep, how did you draw that from what I wrote?

I didn't say anything at all about any other scenarios involving sex, nor did I say that "The only sexual scenario that is a mistake is having sex when not ready or willing to care for a baby."

anitram said:
What in God's name is this thread about?

Some days, I wonder about humanity. I really do. :|

That's okay, because I'm sure humanity sometimes wonders about each one of us (including yourself), also.

anitram said:
Utterly predictable.

UDDERLY RIDICULOUS:

AAGW045~Power-Pack.jpg

80sU2isBest said:

That's not true. Just last month somone said that abortions are sometimes "very good things".

That someone was me, and I still stand by that statement. I did not however, say that an abortion was a joyous occasion, which is what you seem to believe I meant.

Often something that is a very good thing is not without pain or regret. To think otherwise is overly simplistic.

u2bonogirl said:
:lol:
blow jobs are the answer to the worlds problems :p

yes, they are.

and the great thing about being gay, is that you get to give AND receive.

and, sometimes, 'tis better to give than receive.

:mac:

on a somewhat serious sidenote, why aren't alternatives to penetrative intercourse discussed more? i know you heteros have a lot to deal with, espeically you straight girls living in a world rife with double standards and all and that horrible virgin/whore dichotomy, when it comes to pregnancy. aren't there other things you can do that won't result in pregnancy? be creative!

u2bonogirl said:

I was a mistake.

A mistake is something you regret and you should never regret having a child...I was unplanned and my mom certainly doesn't look at me as a mistake. My first son was unplanned and I would never call him a mistake.

If someone chooses to continue an unplanned pregnancy, I would hope they don't have any regrets or look upon the baby as a mistake. It seems kind of sad to call it that.

Bono's American Wife said:

A mistake is something you regret and you should never regret having a child...I was unplanned and my mom certainly doesn't look at me as a mistake. My first son was unplanned and I would never call him a mistake.

If someone chooses to continue an unplanned pregnancy, I would hope they don't have any regrets or look upon the baby as a mistake. It seems kind of sad to call it that.

My apologies for not choosing my words more carefully. I meant no harm in that. I'm pretty sure that I was an untimely pregancy as well. I was the last of 3 kids, and I don't think that my parents had the resources at the time to support me. We had some rough years, (I remember that I had to drink Powdered Milk at one point because Milk was too expensive) but they kept at it and were able to provide a decent place for me to grow up in.

I'm going to back out of FYM for a little while. Some are able to argue with great humor (Thank You Irvine!), but some (including myself) can get quite animated in their defense of a position and I'm not here to generate bad blood. I just wanted to introduce a different perspective than the prevalent one that exists here. We can sharpen each other's position when we debate back and forth, but once people's feelings get tossed in, it's hard not to offend. So I'm going to take a break. Have fun :wave: I'm sure I'll be back.

starsforu2 said:
I'm going to back out of FYM for a little while. Some are able to argue with great humor (Thank You Irvine!), but some (including myself) can get quite animated in their defense of a position and I'm not here to generate bad blood. I just wanted to introduce a different perspective than the prevalent one that exists here. We can sharpen each other's position when we debate back and forth, but once people's feelings get tossed in, it's hard not to offend. So I'm going to take a break. Have fun :wave: I'm sure I'll be back.

Hey thanks for your input.

Pity in a way, we are short of intelligent conservatives around here.

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:
:
So if you arent ready or willing to care for a baby but youre married, having sex isnt a good idea?

Let me rephrase it then - if you're not willing to have a baby (not necessarily desire) or if you wouldn't be responsible and mature enough to care for a baby in the case that birth control should fail, then sex isn't a good idea.

80sU2isBest said:
man fg, that's pretty rude.

How do you mean? We are short of conservatives, surely that is obvious? For example, there's only 2 or 3 of us that are anti-abortion.

financeguy said:

How do you mean? We are short of conservatives, surely that is obvious? For example, there's only 2 or 3 of us that are anti-abortion.

You said we're short of intelligent conservatives.

come on guys
80's u2 wasnt being rude.
Theres an obvious majority of liberals over conservatives in here :shrug:
80's u2:
I know that Im not emotionally ready to care for a child, Im on birth control, and Im getting married in 3 weeks. Theres no freakin way Im staying away from sex. Youre saying that even in a setting (marriage) such as that if Im not ready to care for a child that sex is a bad idea?
Im just trying to be clear on the point youre making :reject:

u2bonogirl said:
come on guys
80's u2 wasnt being rude.
Theres an obvious majority of liberals over conservatives in here :shrug:
80's u2:
I know that Im not emotionally ready to care for a child, Im on birth control, and Im getting married in 3 weeks. Theres no freakin way Im staying away from sex. Youre saying that even in a setting (marriage) such as that if Im not ready to care for a child that sex is a bad idea?
Im just trying to be clear on the point youre making :reject:

I'm not sure if you read the post above where I rephrased it, but here it is, in case you didn't:

"If you're not willing to have a baby (not necessarily desire) or if you wouldn't be responsible and mature enough to care for a baby in the case that birth control should fail, then sex isn't a good idea."

In other words, if you know that birth control failing and leading to a pregnancy would destroy your life and you'd run around like a chicken with its head cut off saying "On no, what do I do now - I'm pregnant - I can't care for this baby!", then I think sex is not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom