Breaking news! Peter Brock killed!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NOOOOOO!!!

Losing Steve Irwin was one thing, but PETER BROCK?

FUCK. :sad:

:reject: I'm sorry, but I don't know who this man is.

Can someone fill me in? Of course, it's sad when anyone dies and my prayers are with his family, too.

coemgen said:
:reject: I'm sorry, but I don't know who this man is.

Can someone fill me in? Of course, it's sad when anyone dies and my prayers are with his family, too.

Peter Brock was a legendary car racing driver. One of the best. Definitely the best to drive the Bathurst 1000, one of the toughest races in the world.

Fuck, this just isn't fair. Peter Brock is the reason why I pay attention to car racing. It was because of him that I first sat down to watch the Bathurst 1000 and I haven't missed a Bathurst since. I wasn't sure if I'd watch it this year, given I've a busy schedule, but I'll definitely make time now. Brock really was the King of the Mountain.

Hmmm, I'm not feeling anywhere near the same sense of 'loss' that I did when I heard the news about Steve Irwin. I guess driving a very fast car is going to catch you out one day. Sad for his family, of course.

And no one seems to have noticed that Colin "Storm Boy" Thiele died this week as well. :shrug:

shika said:
Hmmm, I'm not feeling anywhere near the same sense of 'loss' that I did when I heard the news about Steve Irwin. I guess driving a very fast car is going to catch you out one day. Sad for his family, of course.

Peter Brock's death has hit me much more than Steve Irwin's. I merely tolerated Irwin; he seemed genuine and his zoo is fantastic, but he sure made me cringe sometimes. Peter Brock, however, got me interested in car racing because he and his achievements impressed me so much.

And no one seems to have noticed that Colin "Storm Boy" Thiele died this week as well. :shrug:

I don't even know who that is.

He was pretty low key, but he lived in Qld in his older age. He was originally from SA and wrote children's books in the '80's (my era!) Storm Boy was a bit of classic. It doesn't surprise me - the media saturates us with sporty/outdoors-y heroes and tends to ignore the more cerebal Australians.

shika said:
It doesn't surprise me - the media saturates us with sporty/outdoors-y heroes and tends to ignore the more cerebal Australians.

Thats true, but I guess Colin Thiele was 85 and not in the spotlight. But his death doesn't pass by those who loved his work.

Storm Boy was the first book that made me 'feel' as a kid. It's a beautiful book.

And no one seems to have noticed that Colin "Storm Boy" Thiele died this week as well.

I felt a greater sense of loss when I found out about Steve Irwin also. I'm not a car racing fan, so I have never been a big fan of Brocky. I still find it sad all the same.

I knew Colin Thiele died on Monday aswell. It was sad news, but I don't think you can compare the death of an 85 yo to the sudden death of a 44 yo.

shika said:
He was pretty low key, but he lived in Qld in his older age. He was originally from SA and wrote children's books in the '80's (my era!) Storm Boy was a bit of classic. It doesn't surprise me - the media saturates us with sporty/outdoors-y heroes and tends to ignore the more cerebal Australians.

"Storm Boy" was part of our curiculum.....one of the best books ever.....and Yes,I agree....i have not heard of one media report except one (TripleM radio) that mentioned the passing of Colin Thiele:tsk:........to be honest i forgot all about him until you mentioned it Shika....I think it will be fitting for you to start a thread that honours his memory.

errrr, maybe not - If half of Australia doesn't know who he is, we've got buckley's of any I/f's knowing (or caring!) How are you, doll?

Axver said:

Peter Brock was a legendary car racing driver. One of the best. Definitely the best to drive the Bathurst 1000, one of the toughest races in the world.

Fuck, this just isn't fair. Peter Brock is the reason why I pay attention to car racing. It was because of him that I first sat down to watch the Bathurst 1000 and I haven't missed a Bathurst since. I wasn't sure if I'd watch it this year, given I've a busy schedule, but I'll definitely make time now. Brock really was the King of the Mountain.

My hubby(FORD) and father(HOLDEN) goes to Bathurst every year....heard of "feral hill":lol: There is an opening if you are interested, someone has backed out of going. Our guys arrive Thur AM and leave Mon arvo......they have a ball there!!!!!

shika said:
errrr, maybe not - If half of Australia doesn't know who he is, we've got buckley's of any I/f's knowing (or caring!) How are you, doll?

C'mon....do it!!

I can't believe i forgot myself.........re-phrase

" Australia has lost 3 icons this week"

I'm good.........Feel weird........have been dreaming strange stuff......How are you?

Axver said:

Peter Brock's death has hit me much more than Steve Irwin's. I merely tolerated Irwin; he seemed genuine and his zoo is fantastic, but he sure made me cringe sometimes. Peter Brock, however, got me interested in car racing because he and his achievements impressed me so much.

:yes: :up: I told everyone that I was horrified by Brock's death and I got blasted for not feeling the same way about Irwin.

I didn't know you were a motorsport fan.

I am absolutey shattered about this news. :sad: :( I have been far more affected by Peter Brock's Death than Steve Irwin's. Peter Brock was a true champion.

Rest in peace Peter Perfect, 'The King of the Mountain'

You are a true legend. Motorsport has truly lost a part of itself today.

fly so high! said:

My hubby(FORD) and father(HOLDEN) goes to Bathurst every year....heard of "feral hill":lol: There is an opening if you are interested, someone has backed out of going. Our guys arrive Thur AM and leave Mon arvo......they have a ball there!!!!!

Mmm, McPhillamy Park. They do get very feral up there come Bathurst time. The cops are too scared to even go up there, and until a few years ago the bus that drives people around the track wouldn't go for fear of being pelted with flaming toilet paper.

Do we really need to resort to comparing who made more of an impact on our lives? The 3 of them will be terribly missed by those who knew them, those who knew of them, and thosewho followed what they did.

It's been a shitter of a week.

Yep, I'm a revhead too and I started watching Bathurst cos of the great drivers like Brock, Moffat and Johnson. Brockie will be sadly missed. :(

And I remember reading Storm Boy and Blue Fin at school. Colin Thiele was a great writer.

Back
Top Bottom