Breaking News part II: For God's sake, this is getting ridiculous. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Breaking News part II: For God's sake, this is getting ridiculous.

Has anyone seen the news? There's been an attack on Scotland's Glasgow Airport which is now evacuated and closed. There were gas cannisters/molotov cocktails in the car; 4 people have been arrested.

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6257194.stm
A car on fire has been driven at the main terminal building at Glasgow Airport, police have confirmed.

Eyewitnesses have described a Jeep Cherokee being driven at speed towards the building with flames coming out from underneath.

They have also described seeing two Asian men, one of whom was on fire, who had been in the car.

Strathclyde Police said two people had been arrested and detained in connection with the incident.

The airport has been evacuated and all flights suspended following the incident at 1515 BST.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Fucking assholes never stop trying! Lowlives!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:12 PM
More info from the BBC:
Quote:
Whitehall spokesman said the incident was not being treated as a national security threat.

One eyewitness said: "I heard the sound of a car's wheels spinning and smoke coming out.

"I saw a Jeep Cherokee apparently as if it was trying to get right through the doors into the terminal building.

"There were flames coming out from underneath then some men appeared from in amongst the flames.

"The police ran over and the people started fighting with the police. I then heard what sounded like an explosion."

Eye-witness Richard Grey told BBC News 24: "A green Jeep was in the middle of the doorway burning. There was an Asian guy who was pulled out of the car by two police officers, who he was trying to fight off. They've got him on the ground."

Stephen Clarkson said he saw people running towards him and "panicking" then noticed a crashed Cherokee jeep.

He said he helped police restrain one of the men.

"It was lucky that I was there," he said. "I managed to knock the man to the ground with my forearm and the police got on top of him and restrained him and put handcuffs on him."

Thomas Conroy, a maintenance worker at the airport believes the men deliberately tried to set the car on fire.

"It looked like they had molotov cocktails with them," he said.

"They sort of burst them round about the flames to make sure the car would go up big style. Within minutes it was up and the terminal caught as well."

Dr Rak Nandwani was at the airport building to pick up relatives when he saw a plume of black smoke.

He said: "The whole place has come to a standstill, the terminal building has been evacuated. I have spoken to my relatives and they have been moved to outside the building.

"They were told they could not pick their baggage up from the baggage collection area. There must be about 50 police cars at the airport. Me and my son, along with everyone else, have been moved to the car rental area."

Taxi driver Ian Crosby said: "This was no accident. This was a deliberate attack on Glasgow Airport."

Mr Crosby, who said he served in Northern Ireland, told how he shepherded people away from the scene in case of a secondary explosion or a nail-bomb.

Two men, one of whom was reported to be badly burned, were seen being led away in handcuffs.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Shahids can be stupid sometimes.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:12 AM
No injuries? That's fortunate.

I'm watching CNN, and they assured us that this doesn't have any connection to the US. Oh.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

would certainly be distrubing if al qaeda abandons their want for spectacular attacks abroad and settles on smaller, easier, more mobile attacks
Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Al Qaeda being who exactly? An elaborate and well funded international terrorist organisation or a bunch of wannabes with petrol, nails and the anarchists cookbook?

So many of these plots just seem like open source terrorism without an outside connection.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
So many of these plots just seem like open source terrorism without an outside connection.
You mean people that don't have the same Kill All Americans mission as Al Qaeda but have their own issues?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

More like your average nice young Muslim boy born and raised in the UK who just happens to be so outraged about Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan, Islamophobia, Unveiled Women, Reconquista, Abolition of the Caliphate etc. that they will get together with some of their mates and go out to do some damage. Different than a bunch of Saudi guys who spend years going to paramilitary training camps and then get put together to carry out a specific mission designed by some higher up then going out and doing it.

Governments could pursue as many foreign wars as they want and eliminate every last one of Al Qaeda's top leadership from whatever cave in Pakistan they are in and it would not stop guys with grudges.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

That's why I think terrorism can never be fully stopped, only curbed to an extent.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
That's why I think terrorism can never be fully stopped, only curbed to an extent.
Terrorism is a means pursued by many groups but in events like this one (since we don't know yet) Muslim fundamentalists. But since most leaders (Bush, Blair etc.) repeat that Islam is a peaceful religion and don't seem to have any problem reaching out to fundamentalists when it is in their interests I very much doubt that it will end.

Should do something in retaliation though, possible a MoToon of Death!. Mockery hurts zealots more than anything, it should be encouraged. I am happy to COEXIST when theres a world that Muslims can leave their religion, atheists and apostates are tolerated, holy wars end and blasphemy is met without death threats (and murders).
Old 06-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

The entire world has indeed gone mad.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm just hoping this is not the beginning of the end of humanity as we know it. I know we've always had wars. But lately this terrorism menace has been ridiculous!
Old 06-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

In the past humanity was smaller and wars killed a lot more people, terrorism isn't even a blip in the scale of things. Of course that religious mindset doesn't give the wonderful cost-benefit calculation that stopped the USA and USSR from going at it with nuclear war so if given the means maybe religious fanatics could do a lot of damage but otherwise things are getting better and we must not give away freedoms to the state.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 11:12 AM
I can't believe it. What a sick world. Is it not safe to travel anymore? Or even be at home?