Breaking news: Have you heard about the bomb in London this morning??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6252276.stm

News coming in on this right now... police got to the 'device' in time thank God. It was, unsurprisingly, found in one of the busiest part of Central London. Piccadilly Circus has been shut down and various areas are shut off, including Leicester Square.

Tony Blair left Downing Street yesterday - anyone suspicious??? (Bad taste, I know, but as nobody was hurt, I can just about get away with it.)

Well, glad to see everyone is so concerned, LMAO!

Great, I've started replying to my own posts. Time for medication methinks...

It is 4 am east coast

1 am west coast here in the U S
everybody is a sleep

I am listening to BBC radio

and they are not giving it that much air time, either :shrug:

*as i've just read....an ambulance crew member at a call out to a nightclub saw smoke coming from the car.

originally posted by sallycinnamon78
Tony Blair left Downing Street yesterday - anyone suspicious???

One of the news stations over here pointed that out, saying terror attacks or near attacks seem to happen when the UK is in the news.When the 7/7 attacks happened, the G8 summit was in the UK, and now Blair has stepped down - so this car bomb may not be a coincidence.

I'm hoping that nobody here suggests that this was staged to bolster England's new leadership etc. People do that here in America, and even on these message boards- everytime a terrorist plot is foiled.

dbs

diamond said:
I'm hoping that nobody here suggests that this was staged to bolster England's new leadership etc. People do that here in America, and even on these message boards- everytime a terrorist plot is foiled.

but here, diamond, they have a car loaded with explosives and nails; in the US, we have "code orange" alerts and nebulous, years old plans to attack the CitiBank buildling in New York that, gasp!, happen to surface a day after Kerry announces his running mate.

big, big difference.

it sounds like this bomb was a bit crude by Baghdad standards, though it forbodes a terrible truth and an ominous future -- Al-Qaeda is using Iraq as a training ground to launch attacks on Western cities and they're honing and perfecting their techniques on average Iraqi citizens and against the world's best military.

we've given them exactly what they wanted. the longer we stay, the better, more nimble, more subtle, more effective they'll become.

deep said:
It is 4 am east coast

1 am west coast here in the U S
everybody is a sleep

I am listening to BBC radio

and they are not giving it that much air time, either :shrug:

Ah. That explains a lot. Being an insomniac, I tend to forget that people go to sleep. (I've been up 56 hours and counting now!)

diamond said:

dbs

Funny you should mention that... I was discussing this with people on Yahoo Answers this morning, and the amount of cynicism I saw was incredible. I'm all for questioning what's going on and why, but loads of people were convinced that it was some PR stunt. :rolleyes:

sallycinnamon78 said:

Ah. That explains a lot. Being an insomniac, I tend to forget that people go to sleep. (I've been up 56 hours and counting now!)
It's fairly apparent :wink:

sallycinnamon78 said:

Funny you should mention that... I was discussing this with people on Yahoo Answers this morning, and the amount of cynicism I saw was incredible. I'm all for questioning what's going on and why, but loads of people were convinced that it was some PR stunt. :rolleyes:

incredulous, huh?

dbs

I was watching BBC when I got home last night and I had that sinking feeling like, oh no, not again.

Crazy that the car was parked right outside Tiger Tiger on Haymarket, absolutely such a central location by the Trocadero and Piccadilly. They say there was 1500 people inside the nightclub at the time. Strangely, the last time I was back in London last year I ate at the Strada restaurant about 100ft around the corner on Panton St.

According to CNN:
LONDON, England (CNN) -- As authorities were investigating an explosives-packed car discovered outside a nightclub near Piccadilly Circus on Friday, a second vehicle was found in London that had similar explosive material inside, security sources said.

The second car had been parked underground near Trafalgar Square in an area where parking was not allowed.

Workers towed it to a lot on Park Lane near Buckingham Palace and thought it smelled of gasoline. Given the reports that gas canisters were among the explosive material found in the other car, they became suspicious, security sources said.

Authorities then blocked off a section of Park Lane while they examined the car and discovered the material.

The sources did not say exactly what was found in the second car, but a U.S. source with knowledge of Britain's investigation said the second vehicle is linked to the first.

Earlier Friday, a section of Fleet Street also was cordoned off briefly, then reopened without incident.

Inside the first car near Piccadilly Circus, a device was found to be loaded with fuel, gas cylinders and nails, said security sources, and it was set up for remote detonation. (Watch police describe potential blast Video)

Security sources said that the "relatively crude device" contained at least 200 liters, or about 50 gallons, of fuel in canisters.

Police said the car was found shortly before 2 a.m. Friday and deactivated. The device could have caused huge numbers of casualties, police said.

British police anti-terror chief Peter Clarke said detectives were examining security camera footage for clues to the driver of the vehicle.

The incident renewed fears of a terrorist strike almost two years after London's transport network was hit by suicide bombers.

Security sources with knowledge of the investigation said a cell phone was found as part of the device, but it was not immediately clear whether it was to be used as a detonator or timer, or in some other way. The sources said the device was apparently set up for remote detonation.

Clarke said the car was first discovered when a quick-thinking ambulance crew noticed it was filled with smoke outside the popular Tiger Tiger nightclub.

Explosives officers discovered the fuel and nails attached to a "potential means of detonation" inside the vehicle. Officers "courageously" disabled the trigger by hand, Clarke said.

"Even at this stage it is obvious that if the device had detonated, there could have been severe injuries and loss of life," Clarke said. He said it was too early to say who was responsible.

Witness Daniel Weir said he was walking home from work when he noticed police had cordoned off the area around the nightclub and a nearby vehicle.

He snapped several photos, including one that showed a canister labeled "patio gas." (See the photos)

"If I known what was actually ... going on, I don't think I would have been hanging about," he told CNN hours later.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, appointed two days earlier in a transition of power seen as a potential spur for extremists to mount an attack, said the incident was a reminder of the dangers facing the country. (Full story)

Brown, whose predecessor's support of the Iraq war provoked anger among Islamic militants, said Britain faced "a serious and continuous threat" and the public needs to be alert at all times.

The incident came a little more than a week before the second anniversary of July 7, 2005, when four Islamic extremist suicide bombers killed 52 people and injured hundreds more on London's transport system in the deadliest strike on the city since World War II.

A second bomb was found from an illegally parked car on Cockspur Street which borders Trafalgar Sq from the south and heading left a short distance. It was found later in a car park on Park Lane after it was towed.

Interestingly, the location of the second car on Cockspur Street is in the same block as Canadian High Commission(embassy) which borders Trafalgar Sq from the west but fronts Cockspur St. I wonder if there is a connection with Canada's involvement in Afghanistan. Here is a map of the area and Cockspur St where it was originally parked -
5zlbcd2.jpg

diamond said:

dbs

Qui bono?

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/passports-and-immigration/id-cards/

Of course, only a complete cynic could possibly argue that British intelligence would ever involve themselves in anything so nefarious.

After all, they've never done so before, have they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_and_Monaghan_Bombings

Extracts from the Barron Report executive summary:-

"4. A finding that members of the security forces in Northern Ireland could have been involved in the bombings is neither fanciful nor absurd, given the number of instances in which similar illegal activity has been proven."

"7. The possibility that the involvement of such army or police officers was covered-up at a higher level cannot be ruled out; but it is unlikely that any such decision would ever have been committed to writing."

"8. There is no evidence that any branch of the security forces knew in advance the bombings were about to take place. This has been reiterated by the current Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, and is accepted by the Inquiry. If they did know, it is unlikely that there would be any official records. Such knowledge would not have been written down; or if it had been, would not have been in any files made available to the Secretary of State. There is evidence the Secretary of State of the day was not fully informed on matters of which he should have been made aware. On that basis, it is equally probable that similarly sensitive information might be withheld from the present holder of that office."

Last edited:
Slipstream said:

Interestingly, the location of the second car on Cockspur Street is in the same block as Canadian High Commission(embassy) which borders Trafalgar Sq from the west but fronts Cockspur St.

Canada House! It's lovely and it gave me free Internets when I was there. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom